Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Gore: Climate crisis could attract next generation of engineers

Old 04-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gore: Climate crisis could attract next generation of engineers

Al Gore made that movie that talked about Global warming that did great in the US but poorly in Canada but our Canadian friends did not believe in Global warming.

Honestly I don't believe in it yet because I have not seen any positive proof.

The Embedded Systems conference below is an electronic show. Embedded systems are systems that have microprocessors that do specific tasks like washing machines, telephones, or yeah automobiles too. LOL!

The type of engineers we are behind are in electronic engineers compared to China and India. We need different engineers to take on the challenges
of global warming. Does anybody have a different opinion?

I am not sure I am making the connection. Why is he doing this speech at an electronic conference instead of a gas and oil conference?

Gore: Climate crisis could attract next generation of engineers

By Suzanne Deffree, News Editor -- Electronic News, 4/3/2007
SAN JOSE — Former Vice President Al Gore delivered an impassioned speech this morning at the Embedded Systems Conference (ESC), linking the global climate crisis to the engineering crisis in the United States.

Beginning his speech, Gore defined the word “crisis” as the Japanese and Chinese do, with two symbols that separately translate into danger and opportunity. From the 2000 presidential candidate’s view, the climate crisis, more often referred to as global warming, is a massive danger to our ecosystem but an opportunity for encouraging a new generation’s involvement in engineering.

As stated by many industry organizations including the AeA and Dean Kamen’s FIRST, the combined lack of young engineers and massive amount of soon-to-be retiring engineers could leave the United States at a significant competitive disadvantage if situation is left unchanged.

Gore pointed to the Soviet Union’s Sputnik program of the 1950s as a catalyst for his generation’s involvement in technology and science and said he believes the present danger to the Earth’s ecosystem could inspire the next generation of engineers.

“I have come to see the climate crisis as the most dangerous and important collision between our civilization and the ecosystem,” Gore said. “I really believe the climate crisis should be seen as an opportunity to bring focus and creativity to a worthy goal.…This challenge could be the way your profession attracts young people around the country.”

Gore, who was recently nominated for an Academy Award for his 2006 documentary film An Inconvenient Truth , stated that those in the embedded-systems field can be a big part of a solution to the climate crisis.

“Embedded systems can be a big part of this. [Embedded systems engineers] are embedding higher and higher levels of intelligence into everything,” he said, quipping “…except public policy.”

Without technical expertise, Gore pointed to power conservation and better efficiency as aids to lowering the amount of CO2 released into the atmosphere.

“Asking better questions and systems design are really key to this,” Gore continued, noting that no-clean PCB (printed-circuit-board) processes designed to eliminate the use of ozone-depleting chemicals weren’t developed until an alternative view of the process was presented.

Gore concluded his speech by turning the climate crisis into a question of moral obligation, not a political problem.

“Just as Sputnik focused our attention, here we have a mandate from our children and grandchildren to understand that one day they will ask one of two questions: ‘What were they doing?’ or the latter, which I hope they will ask, ‘How did they find the moral courage to do what many said was impossible?’

“An engineer is someone who has a vision and puts that vision into a solution.…You can lead this evolution because engineering is making vision real.”

For commentary on Gore’s ESC keynote, see our blogs
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Gore: Climate crisis could attract next generation of engineers

After the earth catches on fire in 8 years, 9 months, and 22 days, we will no longer have to fear man-bear-pig...unless he hides in the mines.

"The whole world will be a burning ball of fire!"

Al Gore is a weirdo who is doing anything to get attention. I think he is just doing this so then he can run again. He has set up a system for his religion called carbon credits which are about as effective as buying indulgences were when the Protestant Reformation happened. This is nothing other than a modern version of a pagan religion worshipping the earth.

I refuse to believe in it since it was hotter in the 1930s when there was less emissions coming from cars that were not running due to the fact that fewer people could afford to drive them as much as they can these days with all the high tech almost zero emission controls. Plus most of their solutions produce more pollution in one way or another than the normal route if you look at it. I refuse to believe something created by politicans. At one point, America was told that the earth was going to freeze, now we are being told it will be a blazing ball of fire, by about the same audience. They have an agenda and I won't buy it especially since my indoctrinators (excuse me instructors) try to force that belief down my throat. Anything they teach me which is off topic, I believe the opposite of.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-04-2007, 05:24 PM

Its crap, if Gore wants everyone to cut down then why not park his jet that uses 3 times the amount in one day that the average American does in one year. Be a leader Mr Gore.. The guy is only doing it because he is making millions off of this so called "Global warming." I mean why is it sopposed to snow here in Ohio on friday, if the world is warming? Its April!!! The truth is the world has been warming since the ice age, nothing we can do about it..

Im telling you its the Dodge Challenger, last time it came out they were crying about Emissions. If gores people have it their way they are going to make you pay a "fine" or tax what ever you want to call it for polluting the air and not driving those gay junk hybrid cars that prob will only last 10 years, kinda like a throw away razor, use it a few times and throw it away.. Cheap easy and they are junk. So park your Jet and your hybrid pal and buy a Challenger.. Or we can always give him an oscar................[sm=wakeup.gif]
Old 04-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: McDonald

Its crap, if Gore wants everyone to cut down then why not park his jet that uses 3 times the amount in one day that the average American does in one year. Be a leader Mr Gore.. The guy is only doing it because he is making millions off of this so called "Global warming." I mean why is it sopposed to snow here in Ohio on friday, if the world is warming? Its April!!! The truth is the world has been warming since the ice age, nothing we can do about it..

Im telling you its the Dodge Challenger, last time it came out they were crying about Emissions. If gores people have it their way they are going to make you pay a "fine" or tax what ever you want to call it for polluting the air and not driving those gay junk hybrid cars that prob will only last 10 years, kinda like a throw away razor, use it a few times and throw it away.. Cheap easy and they are junk. So park your Jet and your hybrid pal and buy a Challenger.. Or we can always give him an oscar................[sm=wakeup.gif]
Exactly and this is also what gets on my nerves. The Prius is a worse pollutes more than most vehicles, just read this article.
http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188

They are inconsistent. It is nothing other than trying to force us to live like the Europeans. No offense to the Europeans but I refuse to live like Europeans. If I wanted to live like Europeans, I would live in Europe instead of the U.S.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-05-2007, 12:29 AM

If there is global warming going on then Mr. Gore needs to tell mother nature because it is way colder than normal here in ohio
Old 04-05-2007, 12:45 AM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700
Exactly and this is also what gets on my nerves. The Prius is a worse pollutes more than most vehicles, just read this article.
http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188

They are inconsistent. It is nothing other than trying to force us to live like the Europeans. No offense to the Europeans but I refuse to live like Europeans. If I wanted to live like Europeans, I would live in Europe instead of the U.S.
You know even though the Prius pollutes more than anything that the Big Three can come up with, that does not stop the "scientist " from stating that Honda is the most "Earth Friendly" and Toyota is second in line.

My thoughts are if a car is to be popular or good it has to have good mpg and power. However these two don't go hand and hand just like day and night. However my truck defies this by not having either.[:@]
Old 04-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Nags

If there is global warming going on then Mr. Gore needs to tell mother nature because it is way colder than normal here in ohio
Ditto for here in Missouri. His answer would be the fact that it is colder than normal proves the existance of global warming. I have heard that from those who follow his cult. In there eyes, everything is proof.

The fact of the matter is that Earth's temperature goes in trends, that is why there are sometimes mini-iceages and hot peroids. These have happened before greenhouse gases were an issue.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Nero

You know even though the Prius pollutes more than anything that the Big Three can come up with, that does not stop the "scientist " from stating that Honda is the most "Earth Friendly" and Toyota is second in line.

My thoughts are if a car is to be popular or good it has to have good mpg and power. However these two don't go hand and hand just like day and night. However my truck defies this by not having either.[:@]
The Scientists who say this have an agenda as well. Sometimes power and fuel economy do go together. In some upcoming diesels, you can have your cake and eat it too. Also as GM has proven, if you bring out a powerful V8 engine, all you need to do to counter the poor fuel economy in it is offer extremely tall gearing. Plus MDS systems and Direct Injection also help.

So your truck has neither? That would probably be due to the engine which your truck offers is underpowered; therefore, it has neither power nor fuel economy because it has to work so hard.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-05-2007, 08:54 AM

I woke up this morning with snow on the ground and as i speak i cant see further than 100 yards the snow is falling so hard. Gore is a weirdo, everything that guy does has some twist to it. You tell him or his followers differently everything bounces off them like rubber. There are lots of scientists that dissagree with him.

In my mind other countries developing nukes that mean harm is more important than somthing we can do nothing about and making horribly junk cars in the meantime. Considering there are enough nukes in the world to kill every human 3 times from a nucular fallout.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:27 PM

I agree he is strange, his house has a CO2 footprint greater than 20 normal houses would have, typical do as I say and not as I do attitude (closet aristocrat or limousine liberal), the green brigade has silenced or ostracized any scientist that contradicts the whole global warming crusade (see the New York Times article of a few weeks ago on this). I am by no means a climatologist but anyone that wishes can do their own research and the conclusion that any reasonable person would come up with is that the earth goes through cycles (heating and cooling over long periods), up until the middle ages the major rivers in Europe never froze during the winter months now they are freezing, Greenland was not covered in ice 50 million years ago (it was tropical), the Mississippi river was an ocean millenia ago, and the list goes on.
CO2 is a natural occurance on the Earth and mankind accounts for less that 4% of all the CO2 emmissions. I believe that if we want to reduce CO2 in our atmosphere (as the green brigade says we must) we need only plant more trees and manage our forests better, as plant matter uses CO2 and releases oxygen (funny how that works so good EH?).
CO2 is that easy to control and you need not be a world renowned scientist to figure that out.
This is just a preparation for a new money grab of some type, there is an economy of 7 Billion $, and growing every year, in this global warming crusade, so draw your own conclusions but remember as my dear departed Father (GOD rest his soul) said to me "If you want to find out the truth about something just follow the money" .
I personally am more concerned with the organic and inorganic pollutants we are discharging into the atmosphere and into our water, these things are the most difficult for our environment to cope with in the short term.
There I said my peace.
PG

Quick Reply: Gore: Climate crisis could attract next generation of engineers