Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Gore: Climate crisis could attract next generation of engineers

Old 04-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gore: Climate crisis could attract next generation of engineers

The U.S. alone has blowup over 330 nuclear bombs in the atmospohere and we are all still here.

A Category 4 hurricane might level buildings over an area of 2,500 square miles. It would take a 10-megaton nuclear weapon to inflict damage over such a wide area. By comparison, the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were only about 15 and 21 kilotons.

Just goes to show you that hurricanes are much more powerful than megaton nuclear bombs and everything is still okay.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:01 PM

Channel 4 in the UK has produced a documentary "The Great Global Warming Swindle". We probably won't see this show in the US - it's intelligent and presents scientific facts.

Excerpts from their website:

Are you green? How many flights have you taken in the last year? Feeling guilty about all those unnecessary car journeys? Well, maybe there's no need to feel bad.

According to a group of scientists brought together by documentary-maker Martin Durkin, if the planet is heating up, it isn't your fault and there's nothing you can do about it.

We've almost begun to take it for granted that climate change is a man-made phenomenon. But just as the environmental lobby think they've got our attention, a group of naysayers have emerged to slay the whole premise of global warming.

Check it out at:

http://www.channel4.com/science/micr...rming_swindle/

Old 04-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: davecpa

tell that to the poor little "o" polar bears dying in the artic because their habitat is melting. yes fluorscent lights contain mercury that is why i dont use them. and tell the people in venice italy the ocean is not rising their shops are flooding because someone left the toilet running.. oh ya and tell the scientist measuring the hole in the ozone that their measurements are off.... or better yet they are just conspiring to keep their jobs cause they have nothing else better to do. dude look around. but i agree battery cars are just as harmfull as any other cars. If you were reading what i wrote then you know i was just complaining about the problem not offering any real solutions... that is the hard part.. anyone can complain.
Attempts to appeal to one's emotions are logical fallacies. Even if the ice wasn't melting (if it is), some of these would still die regardless. Animals eventually learn how to adapt. They have been through this before and have survived. Don't worry about it.

I simply have learned to ignore scientists because they normally fill the news with doom and gloom about how we are all going to die. They have studies on whether to eat the skin of a potato. They keep going back and forth on that. They go back and forth on whether coffee is good or bad for you. They got us all worked up on Y2K and nothing happened. People swore to me after hearing that B.S. that the highways were going to literally disappear as well as the water lines and other crazy things. The fact is scientists regularly build a theory on top of a theory, on top of a theory, on top of a theory, on top of a theory, on top of a theory, on top of a theory, and so on until they give us their new theory.

Remember theories can neither be proven nor disproven. Let's think about what can qualify as a theory for a minuet. One possible theory about the creation of the universe is a gigantic being belched infront of a gigantic star which caused the big bag. This can neither be proven nor disproven, but common sense tells you it is just plain stupid to consider nor less believe. Scientist really don't know as much as they would like us to believe they do. So why do they keep reversing themselves on these studies? Because they get funding for each study. They support this radical version of environmentalism because they get financial support and/or they believe in the religion that is reemerging from all of this, worshipping the Earth.

Okay then why even comment if you do not have any suggestions? If you have even stated that you believe that these batteries used in hybrids make them just as bad if not worse than normal cars, why suggest that we should switch?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-25-2007, 02:53 AM

tell that to the poor little "o" polar bears dying in the artic because their habitat is melting. yes fluorscent lights contain mercury that is why i dont use them. and tell the people in venice italy the ocean is not rising their shops are flooding because someone left the toilet running.. oh ya and tell the scientist measuring the hole in the ozone that their measurements are off.... or better yet they are just conspiring to keep their jobs cause they have nothing else better to do. dude look around. but i agree battery cars are just as harmfull as any other cars. If you were reading what i wrote then you know i was just complaining about the problem not offering any real solutions... that is the hard part.. anyone can complain.
Some points of contention...I just got back from Venice. The Sea is not rising inasmuch as the buildings are sinking. They were not built on bedrock and the weight is pushing them down. Your post prior to this makes some points that should cause you to THINK rather than regurgitate the lines that Algore spoon feeds his enviro-cult. You correctly point out our data is captured within an extremely small time-frame. 25, 100, or even 1000 years of data with respect to geologic time and events is not even a blip. It's NOTHING! To draw conclusions about global climate effects is PREPOSTEROUS. It's amazing to me that the guilt peddlers sell this message to people and some of them buy the premise that man (and specifically the U.S.) is the cause.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:50 AM

yes fluorescent lights contain mercury that is why i dont use them. and tell the people in venice italy the ocean is not rising their shops are flooding because someone left the toilet running.. o
You know that Inconvenient Al was the one that told people to use fluorescent lights because they are better. So you are stating that he is wrong. Also, have you ever been to Venice? The place is a on going flood and it is very old. Your points make no sense and are not backed up by hard as rock facts. The world is constantly changing by actions that we have no control over. Volcanic eruptions contribute way more than we do and what are we going to do. Tap off a volcano so it won't erupt? This would split the planet into stones floating in space. [sm=rant.gif]