Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Gore: Climate crisis could attract next generation of engineers

Old 04-17-2007, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gore: Climate crisis could attract next generation of engineers

yes the global warming appears to be climbing at exponential rates... I saw that lexus just came out with a 400+ horsepower hybrid car. i assume that it is a good idea to take care of our planet like it is a 1969 challenger ... take good care of it and it might be here for the grandkids.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: davecpa

yes the global warming appears to be climbing at exponential rates... I saw that lexus just came out with a 400+ horsepower hybrid car. i assume that it is a good idea to take care of our planet like it is a 1969 challenger ... take good care of it and it might be here for the grandkids.
I suggest you read the article about the Prius being more damaging by the rules of environmentalism than a Hummer. A hybrid Lexus would be even worse. The battery packs contribute heavily to pollution.

Global warming is full of it. Our nations fruit supply is proof of that. The last few weeks and this past winter have been proof that global warming is a media created lie.

Also, one of the hottest times in the last 100 years was back in the 1930s and that was in the middle of the great depression when there was significanly less driving due to people not having as much money for cars and gasoline.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-18-2007, 03:15 AM

Thank God some sane people in the world. I know a guy that said 99% of the "credible" scientists agree there is global warming. Of course anyone that disagrees is deemed not credible. Please...

Our planet is OLD!!! We have (at best) 100 years of data and we want to make conclusions based upon that. What a joke. I seem to recall as a kid (some 30 years ago) we were headed for global cooling and another ice age. I guess this latest enviro-crisis plays better to crowds as warming.

The scary part is that politicians are scrambling to show they "care" enough to pass new and wonderful taxes on those of us not wanting to drive a mini-car powered by AA batteries. Lookout CA...you have a wonderful new tax headed your way. Even though these guys are idiots they need to be taken seriously and combated or folks like us will find our muscle car price tags even higher.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: awsure

Thank God some sane people in the world. I know a guy that said 99% of the "credible" scientists agree there is global warming. Of course anyone that disagrees is deemed not credible. Please...

Our planet is OLD!!! We have (at best) 100 years of data and we want to make conclusions based upon that. What a joke. I seem to recall as a kid (some 30 years ago) we were headed for global cooling and another ice age. I guess this latest enviro-crisis plays better to crowds as warming.

The scary part is that politicians are scrambling to show they "care" enough to pass new and wonderful taxes on those of us not wanting to drive a mini-car powered by AA batteries. Lookout CA...you have a wonderful new tax headed your way. Even though these guys are idiots they need to be taken seriously and combated or folks like us will find our muscle car price tags even higher.
Exactly. 100 years history is irrelevant when you take consideration how old the Earth is. The thing is there have supposively been ice ages come and go as well as extremely hot periods way before the first internal combustion engine was even dreamed up. The temperature on Earth is always changing and we are not the ones causing it. It is silly to think that something so insignificant like running a car could actually cause a massive change in the Earth's temperature.

I refuse to buy this stuff because I hear the same things being said about this in the same manner that the Y2K problem was being discussed. People swore impossible things like the roads would vanish, the water lines would disappear, and so forth. Now I hear an old has been politican making stupid claims like cow flatulations raises the earth's temperature. Oh really, and what do you suggest we do to solve that, give them Gas-X? I hear people like Gore say that in ten years the earth will be on fire. That is insane. The earth needs carbon dioxoide in order to keep the plants alive.

I agree it is scary about how the moronic politicians are trying to out do each other to show that they "care." The fact that the politicians are involved in this proves to me it is a crock. The new indulgence system known as "Carbon Credits" is proof of how fony this is. Paying money like that to cover for using a private jet is not going to magically remove the emissions from the air.

My advice is just elevate your feet and relax because it doesn't matter what we do, the temperature of the earth is going to keep changing whether we like it or not.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-19-2007, 07:52 AM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

My advice is just elevate your feet and relax because it doesn't matter what we do, the temperature of the earth is going to keep changing whether we like it or not.
I agree, the Earth goes in cycles.. also Mother Nature seems to have a pretty good knack of fixing herself up as well. Not that I throw my garbage all over the place and put oil down the drain but I'm not protecting ever single blade of grass either.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: MGDMike

I agree, the Earth goes in cycles.. also Mother Nature seems to have a pretty good knack of fixing herself up as well. Not that I throw my garbage all over the place and put oil down the drain but I'm not protecting ever single blade of grass either.
Exactly. There is a difference between being sensible and being crazy about it. I recycle my cans because I get money for them. I use flurecent lights because it lowers the electricity bill plus I don't have to change them as often. I use ethanol because E10 offers the octane my car recommends for the same price and sometimes lower price than regular. I somtimes recycle plastic and paper if I have a huge amount piled up so then I can save money on trash bags. I throw trash in the trash can and not out of my car window when I'm driving, and I help sometimes to clean up highways. I believe in being a good steward, but I'm not going to buy carbon credits, drive a PZEV economy car, have a house powered by solar panels, and other radical things like that. That is just weird to do things like that.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-21-2007, 10:25 AM

that is great you recycle your cans... but i dont think that is going to stop global warming...The greenhouse effect is unquestionably real and helps to regulate the temperature of our planet. It is essential for life on Earth and is one of Earth's natural processes. It is the result of heat absorption by certain gases in the atmosphere (called greenhouse gases because they effectively 'trap' heat in the lower atmosphere) and re-radiation downward of some of that heat. Water vapor is the most abundant greenhouse gas, followed by carbon dioxide and other trace gases. Without a natural greenhouse effect, the temperature of the Earth would be about zero degrees F (-18°C) instead of its present 57°F (14°C). So, the concern is not with the fact that we have a greenhouse effect, but whether human activities are leading to an enhancement of the greenhouse effect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are greenhouse gases increasing?
Human activity has been increasing the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere (mostly carbon dioxide from combustion of coal, oil, and gas; plus a few other trace gases). There is no scientific debate on this point. Pre-industrial levels of carbon dioxide (prior to the start of the Industrial Revolution) were about 280 parts per million by volume (ppmv), and current levels are about 370 ppmv. The concentration of CO2 in our atmosphere today, has not been exceeded in the last 420,000 years, and likely not in the last 20 million years. According to the IPCC Special Report on Emission Scenarios (SRES), by the end of the 21st century, we could expect to see carbon dioxide concentrations of anywhere from 490 to 1260 ppm (75-350% above the pre-industrial concentration).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the climate warming?
Yes. Global surface temperatures have increased about 0.6°C (plus or minus 0.2°C) since the late-19th century, and about 0.4°F (0.2 to 0.3°C) over the past 25 years (the period with the most credible data). The warming has not been globally uniform. Some areas (including parts of the southeastern U.S.) have, in fact, cooled over the last century. The recent warmth has been greatest over North America and Eurasia between 40 and 70°N. Warming, assisted by the record El Niño of 1997-1998, has continued right up to the present, with 2001 being the second warmest year on record after 1998.Indirect indicators of warming such as borehole temperatures, snow cover, and glacier recession data, are in substantial agreement with the more direct indicators of recent warmth. Evidence such as changes in glacier length is useful since it not only provides qualitative support for existing meteorological data, but glaciers often exist in places too remote to support meteorological stations, the records of glacial advance and retreat often extend back further than weather station records, and glaciers are usually at much higher alititudes that weather stations allowing us more insight into temperature changes higher in the atmosphere.

Large-scale measurements of sea-ice have only been possible since the satellite era, but through looking at a number of different satellite estimates, it has been determined that Arctic sea ice has decreased between 1973 and 1996 at a rate of -2.8 +/- 0.3%/decade. Although this seems to correspond to a general increase in temperature over the same period, there are lots of quasi-cyclic atmospheric dynamics (for example the Arctic Oscillation) which may also influence the extent and thickness of sea-ice in the Arctic. Sea-ice in the Antarctic has shown very little trend over the same period, or even a slight increase since 1979. Though extending the Antarctic sea-ice record back in time is more difficult due to the lack of direct observations in this part of the world.

For the Northern Hemisphere summer temperature, recent decades
Old 04-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Have you not read anything we have said so far. The whole theory is illogical. These are the same people who were saying back in the 70s that global cooling was happening. They are basing this off of a mere 100 years history. I believe scientist have determined the Earth is 4.5 Billions years old. This is but a drop in the bucket. The solution that these people are suggeting have been proven not to work, infact there are other environmental damages according to the standards of the environmentalist communities. A hybrid in all truth causes more damage by the environmentalist standards than a Hummer does. If environmentalism was consistent, they would instead buy cars like a Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, or non-Hybrid version of the Civic.

Even though I like fluecent lights because it keeps my power bill down, they also have their downsides according to the environmentalist community. They contain mercury.

The production of Ethanol causes its own share of emissions as well. From some things I have read recycling certain products produce more emissions than producing a new one.

The weather we have had this spring and winter is proof that Global Warming is a lie made by politicans who are trying to distract people from noticing the fact that they have no real moral issues that they stand for. It is made up by scientist who know if they keep lying to the public, they will get tons of funding. It is done by actors to replace Christianity because Christianity defines most of their behavior and movies to be immoral. You need to really look at the people who are supporting this crap. Larry David's wife state that there is more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere in 650,000 years. Now the only way she could logically know this is if she is over 650,000 years old and had current day technology to properly judge this. Since she is not, all she is doing is adding more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere over nothing.

The fact is that IF global warming is real (major if), then you might as well relax because we really have no way to stop it. Volcanic erruptions contribute way more than we do. The thrid world countries who we are beginning to trade have almost no emission regulations and they are not going to adapt since this will cost them their competitive advantage. The trips these bozos take to preach to us on their private jets produce a lot more emissions than we ever do. Then they buy "carbon credits" the pagan's version of indulgences which do nothing. Also vehicles are way cleaner than they were back in the 70s yet according to the environmentalist community, this has made no improvements. Much more will we have to sacrifice before it is enough. Draw a line and stick with it. I will not sacrifice my life style for other people's illogical beliefs. As I said before, I don't mind being sensible but I going to enjoy a nice gas guzzling muscle car with as little emission regulations as possible no matter how expensive gas is. CO2 is necessary for plants to survive, it isn't that bad.[sm=rant.gif]

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-21-2007, 05:31 PM

tell that to the poor little "o" polar bears dying in the artic because their habitat is melting. yes fluorscent lights contain mercury that is why i dont use them. and tell the people in venice italy the ocean is not rising their shops are flooding because someone left the toilet running.. oh ya and tell the scientist measuring the hole in the ozone that their measurements are off.... or better yet they are just conspiring to keep their jobs cause they have nothing else better to do. dude look around. but i agree battery cars are just as harmfull as any other cars. If you were reading what i wrote then you know i was just complaining about the problem not offering any real solutions... that is the hard part.. anyone can complain.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:05 PM

The little "o" polar bears habitat has been melting for millions of years. Look at this way its short and simple. Everything was changing before vehicles and AL GORES JETS were here, and not much has changed except the fact that people blame it on that. Whats next you cant have a fire in your back yard because its harmfull? In 30 years Gore or someone like him will be up to somthing else trying to cover for his Global Warming scam.

Quick Reply: Gore: Climate crisis could attract next generation of engineers