Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Gas Crisis

Old 11-10-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Crisis

I wonder if the present gas crisis and threats of oil going to $100 per barrel next year, will encourage Dodge to put a V6 in the Challenger (if they didn't already have plans to do so)?

I intend to buy an SRT, but I would like to see a V6 option for more mass appeal so that the Challenger will stick around for many years and not be a "flash-in-the-pan" like the model from the 1970s.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas Crisis

From what I have heard is not if but when they bring the V-6. I am hearing V-6's to be available in the 2nd half of 2008.

To answer your question about the gas crisis I made a post about it earlier on another thread a few hours ago and maybe
that is why you started this one. My thoughts:

I certainly believe that history tends to repeat itself. I was around when the oil embargo of the 70's (supposed oil shortage.....here we are 30 years later and we still have oil LOL!), car safety and skyrocketing insurance was nailing all muscle car fans.

I posted this way back about a year ago, so I am repeating myself but I think the Challenger will be around at the most 4 years because of this time the rising cost of gasoline.

Unless Dodge can do some incredibly marketing that will give Mustang fans and potential Mustang owners a long term alternative to pony cars in the Challenger.
Of course, the Camaro will also muddy the water and give Muscle car owners another alternative.

There is also the rumor about maybe Dodge will make the Challenger the Viper replacement in terms of the marketing car for the future. I am actually surprised that
the Viper has lived this long. If the Viper were to go, can you imagine what engine they could put in the Challenger since they would not have to limit its HP rating.

All that being said, I hope I am wrong and history will not repeat itself and we will have a long term Muscle car war in the Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro with the
Challenger being King in performance.

I am not being a pessimist but a realist.

I recently posted an article and picture of the "Smart car"........gosh that thing is ugly. Then I saw it on a episode of ER this week where one of the doctor was driving it. I wonder how much money they paid for that advertisement. That thing is so small it looks like a death trap, oh but you save money on gas.

While I have complained in the past about the new Challenger weighting a couple of tons (I would love to see 3800 lbs. but I think we may see 4300 lbs when it is made out of metal), at least you have a chance to survive a major collision. The "Smart Car" would be a death trap.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:28 AM

didn't they pass a law now for those who buy new gas guzzlers like suv's and trucks they have to pay a gas tax of like 1000 bucks on top of the price of the vehicle?

Jake
Old 11-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

This is why it is important to have a model that gets good fuel mileage even in a muscle car. The new V6s will offer MDS in some cars, I hope the Challenger is one of them when those come out.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts