Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Car and Driver Oct. 07

Old 08-29-2007, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Car and Driver Oct. 07

Also, though not as great as TV or whatever, the car will advertise itself. I still see many people looking at my Mustang and it's been out for a while, I've even seen kids go crazy over it or my wife's Avenger, so I can see that when this thing comes down the street then people are going to take notice and wonder what it is and try to do more research on it. Again, not great advertisement compared to TV and magazines, but still good none the less. If you think about it there's nothing more ironic then people paying to advertise for a company. We pay for those badges on the car and we pay for the car itself and get nothing in return to advertise. Talk about a rip off.

I would have to agree with RLSH, I'm not worried about anything right now in terms of advertising. It's still pretty early, people are going to start thinking about Christmas, not a car that is going to handle poorly in the winter since that's what's coming up. Yeah, most of the time it's not a problem around here, but this last year we got one heck of a major snow storm that buried us and I got stuck a few times. Don't think anyone with anything other then a 4x4 was doing good though so I didn't feel to bad. Anyway, come Jan I think would be a good time to start advertising it. People looking forward to the spring time, coming around to the final production of the car, hopefully it is final by then, teasers can come out about it. Timing is everything and right now just seems way to early.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

You know something, I don't remember there being very much marketing for the 300 until it came out. In fact, I really don't recall very much marketing on any of their models until they came out. That is why I'm not concern, besides, I hear more about the demand driving up prices and causing potential "price gouging." The simple fact is you cannot charge a premium if people don't want it. Besides it is still eight months before production. A website for it would be a good idea, I will agree with that. From what I have heard it appears it might be in the new Fast and the Furious movie (not on the quality of story line as Transformers granted but that is a start).

Although you may not have a degree in marketing, you do have real life experience which is definitely valuable for this decision, but I still believe you are mistaken. I fail to see how it is possible to create a peak interest in a car before production yet impossible to build it in the middle of production. There isn't a set time limit on when to build popularity. Let's use the 94-01 Dodge Ram as an example. The thing that probably added the most to the interest of the truck was the movie Twister. That movie was released in 96, two years after the truck was first introduced. That movie really helped the popularity of the truck. Now I agree they should not wait until the vehicle is failing to start marketing it, but I don't see the harm in waiting until it is closer to production. Another thing to think about, the Charger sedan had a little trouble starting off, then they started to market it more aggressively and now it is doing fine.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 PM

RLSH700 has it right. Think back on some of the most recent successful Chrysler and Dodge vehicles. Intrepid, 300, PT were not marketed heavily and the result was true excitement by the public and lots of traffic through showrooms because of the stir these innovative vehicles created. Had they been marketed heavily before release people would have become too familiar with a soon to be released product and not as excited when they started appearing in showrooms out of basically nowhere.

I'm not worried about how successful the marketing is as I don't see these as being a long term commitment by Chrysler to the muscle car wars. They may only plan for a 3 or 4 year run, especially now in light of todays gas prices. Point is I'll have one, probably an 09 after the initial rush to get one is over with. I'll only need one. I drove my last one as a daily driver for 17 years.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:09 PM

if lack of marketing results in fewer cars that look just like mine, all the better!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:15 PM

If i get a better price on my challenger because they did not advertise it then that is great news for me. It seems C & D did do articles on the challenger in june 07, july 06, april 06, jan 06, and december 05. Guess the guy in charge of the challenger was sick the day they put together the 08 car line-up.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:42 AM

I had forgotten about this, but there is some advertising in a video game, Need For Speed: Carbon. They actually put the car pretty high up on the list of performance muscle cars. Unfortunately the Camaro concept is in there also, but you see only the Challenger and race against the Challenger. I believe the Camaro is some kind of car you can unlock at some point in the game, though I have yet to see it.