Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

The Challenger will become the fourth LX derivative

Old 02-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Challenger will become the fourth LX derivative

Automobilemag
February 16, 2007

The Challenger sits on Chrysler’s LX platform, best known as the basis of the 300C, and it is fitted with a 6.1-liter Hemi engine, which delivers 425 hp at 6200 rpm and 420 lb-ft of torque at 4800 rpm. The Hemi badge is worth its weight in gold. It evokes fond memories and produces goose bumps even before you turn the key, thereby giving the Dodge brand a real advantage over its competition. Okay, Ford is entitled to use the legendary Shelby moniker, but we’ll have to wait at least two more years before Ford’s new aluminum-block Hurricane V-8 is ready for production. General Motors installs an excellent engine in the Chevrolet Corvette Z06, but they have nothing as exciting for the reborn Camaro.

The Challenger will become the fourth LX derivative and the third Dodge version, following the Magnum and the Charger. Although it bears an almost too-close resemblance to the 1970 original, our time-warp coupe hit the Dodge crowd right in the heart, which is about where the checkbook sits. Even those aficionados who normally would side with Ford or GM were overwhelmed by the sex appeal of the newcomer from Auburn Hills.

Of the three new-generation pony cars promoted by Detroit—the Ford Mustang and the Camaro are the others—the Challenger follows the tire marks of its predecessor with particular discipline and accuracy. Quips design chief Trevor Creed: "A Challenger must look like one! We’re proud to draw from our rich design heritage. And this car is spot on—its silhouette does make a statement, its cabin is big enough to seat four, and its engine bay packs all the horsepower one could ask for. To me, this is a very saleable item." Adds DaimlerChrysler head honcho Dieter Zetsche: "The Challenger [will] help to consolidate our strong presence in the rear-wheel-drive segment, a mission we are also going to pursue with the next-generation LX cars." So this shape isn’t too retro, too predictable, too short-lived? "We don’t think so," replies Michael Castiglione, who was in charge of the exterior. "It incorporates the essence of the 1970 model, but at the same time we carefully modernized the proportions by extending the wheelbase, widening the track, and mounting very contemporary twenty- and twenty-one-inch wheels and tires."

At 78.6 inches, the show car is certainly wide enough to fill the mirror of the car in front of it. At 197.8 inches, the Challenger is ten inches longer than the Mustang, and it has a 57.0-inch roof that is tall enough to accommodate towering period hairdos. All the design must-haves are there in force: sweet Coke-bottle hips, a meaty rear, a wasp tail, a cool flank-defining crease, and such signature details as a no-glare hood, frameless windows, and full-width taillights. Present-day details incorporated into the overall look include modern headlamps, fat five-spoke wheels, and a twenty-first-century interpretation of the Dodge grille. The Challenger concept is an eye-catching machine, no doubt, and in the wake of the production version, it should be easy to keep the fire burning with a convertible and even-higher-performance variants.

The cabin of the Challenger is, quite frankly, a bit of an anticlimax. The pistol-grip shifter makes for a nice déjà vu experience, and so does the center console, which welcomes the driver at a historically correct angle. But the pitch-black seats, the ho-hum surfaces, the nondescript metal-spoke steering wheel, and the instrument panel fail to impress. The fascia is tall and edgy, the tiny gauges are almost illegible, and the air-conditioning and radio controls would feel equally at home in a Chrysler PT Cruiser. Most materials are as low-rent to the touch as they are to the eye. Dodge says the team from the West Coast Pacifica Studio wanted to create an "in-your-face cabin that looks tough," but unless you ea
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Default RE: The Challenger will become the fourth LX derivative

hmmm...i liked the interior.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:53 AM

DITTO!!
Old 02-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Does this article prove that they will in fact offer a more powerful version of the HEMI?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-17-2007, 05:26 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

Automobilemag
February 16, 2007

The Challenger will become the fourth LX derivative and it bears an almost too-close resemblance to the 1970 original, our time-warp coupe hit the Dodge crowd right in the heart, which is about where the checkbook sits. Even those aficionados who normally would side with Ford or GM were overwhelmed by the sex appeal of the newcomer from Auburn Hills.

Of the three new-generation pony cars promoted by Detroit—the Ford Mustang and the Camaro are the others—the Challenger follows the tire marks of its predecessor with particular discipline and accuracy. Quips design chief Trevor Creed: "A Challenger must look like one! We’re proud to draw from our rich design heritage.

Jeremiah,

your article hits the essence of what the Dodge Challenger means![sm=gears.gif][sm=gears.gif][sm=gears.gif]

I was considering the 2008 Pontiac G8 (aka Holden Commodore), and also the 2008 Cadillac CTS but the Challenger has stolen my heart. The G8 may have the subdued classy look, the CTS has a world class interior but the Challenger is the one for me!
Old 02-17-2007, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

I totally understand.

In my opinion, if you are talking about pure American Muscle car, there is nothing more awesome looking than either a Challenger or 'Cuda and yes they are related.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.