Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Crazy Enough For You? Viper Boosted to 600 HP

Old 01-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Enough For You? Viper Boosted to 600 HP

Crazy Enough For You? Viper Boosted to 600 HP

Justin Couture (Canadian Auto Press) - 1/10/2007

The Dodge Viper is widely regarded as the hairiest muscle machine in the known
The 2008 Viper gets styling changes and something it just didn't need - more power. (Photo: DaimlerChrysler)
world. It looks mean, it's tricky to drive and it has more power than most people would know what to do with. So, for 2008 Dodge did the natural thing and gave it more power. They didn't just increase the power by 10 or 20 horsepower, as would be normal in such situations, but rather pumped up output by a staggering 90 horsepower for a grand total of 600 horsepower and 560 lb-ft of torque. We can't pinpoint this upgrade as a knee-jerk reaction to the rumour mill that's been on overdrive with the so-called "Blue Devil" supercharged Corvette, but at the very least it should help distance the Viper from the forthcoming Challenger, the current Shelby GT500 and the existing 505-hp Corvette Z06.

So, where exactly did that extra 90 horsepower come

Viper's new engine packs a bigger sting. A 600 hp sting, to be exact.
from? Dodge contracted two of the top engineering consulting firms in the automotive world - McLaren and Ricardo - to help massage the rattlesnake's engine. The new engine has just 0.1 litre of additional displacement over the old one, from a larger bore, but the majority of the hike came from the adoption of variable valve timing for its exhaust valves. Yes, the Viper's engine is still a pushrod driven unit, but, like the 3.9-litre V6 that can be found in the G6 GTP, the timing system features what is called cam-in-block. Because of this, Dodge pumped up the compression ratio to 10.2:1 from 9.2:1, and capped it off with better breathing cylinder heads. Voila, massive power and torque gains are served.

Mind you, it's not all brute force with no consideration of the driver. Dodge incorporated a new Tremec six-speed manual gearbox that has shorter throws for easier gear changes. The clutch now contains two plates instead of one, which reduces the load on the left foot, making stop and go life a whole lot easier. A new variable-speed LSD should give those brave enough to push their SRT-10s hard a little more traction out of bends, and new Michelin Pilot Sport tires lose their run-flat capabilities, which should give the car a smoother ride. See? They were thinking about you too.

But you still don't get traction control or stability control. Best know what you're doing before you attempt any of those sub four-second 0-100 km/h acceleration runs, or a stab at the 0-160 km/h - 0 dash, which Dodge estimates should take a fraction more than twelve seconds. Other than the engine and mechanicals, the changes made to the new Viper are pretty minimal. It gets a new hood that sports deeper vents, and a new selection of colours and stripes. The revised Viper will go on sale this summer, which should be just enough time to build up the courage needed to purchase one.

Viper's new engine packs a bigger sting. A 600 hp sting, to be exact. (Photo: DaimlerChrysler)

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/E89F4F1448FA423AAD1CEFF426C609F9.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Crazy Enough For You? Viper Boosted to 600 HP

One minor thing I must mention. They are incorrect about what the original compression ratio was, it wasn't a 9.2 to 1, it was a 9.6 to 1.

There is a concept version that might produce 675hp & ~650 ft-lbs of tq. It is interesting that they had McLaren and Ricardo do the upgrades to it. That engine was first sent off to Lamborghini when it was created. That is why Chrysler temporarily owned Lamborghini.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 01-11-2007, 01:08 PM

Does this wreak of an insidious plot to create a void in the 500hp range that DCX may have to fill with a 6.6 litre Hemi in the Challenger - without threatening the status of the company's muscle-car flagship?
I'm drooling already, as is my insurance agent - I'm sure.

Can't see GM making the 2009 Camaro with as many or more ponies than the 'Vette as a response.....doesn't make sense. Looks like the groundwork is laid for them to yank the current powerplant out of the Z06 'Vette, drop it in the Camaro, and build something newer, bigger, and badder for their two seater.

Seems to me like another salvo's been fired in the escalating "muscle-car wars".
Take shelter, wait for a break in the shelling, and get ready to empty your piggy banks!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

Does this wreak of an insidious plot to create a void in the 500hp range that DCX may have to fill with a 6.6 litre Hemi in the Challenger - without threatening the status of the company's muscle-car flagship?
I'm drooling already, as is my insurance agent - I'm sure.

Can't see GM making the 2009 Camaro with as many or more ponies than the 'Vette as a response.....doesn't make sense. Looks like the groundwork is laid for them to yank the current powerplant out of the Z06 'Vette, drop it in the Camaro, and build something newer, bigger, and badder for their two seater.

Seems to me like another salvo's been fired in the escalating "muscle-car wars".
Take shelter, wait for a break in the shelling, and get ready to empty your piggy banks!
I'm looking forward to seeing how GM is going to respond to all of this. They are already working on a "Blue Devil" SS model which is supposed to produce 650hp. I wouldn't be surprised either way on the Challenger. It is just as likely that they could offer it as it wouldn't. I'm not going to get my hopes up is all I have to say.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 01-13-2007, 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

I'm looking forward to seeing how GM is going to respond to all of this. They are already working on a "Blue Devil" SS model which is supposed to produce 650hp.
Yup. The next logical step has been taken, or should I say, "They've accepted (step one of) the challenge(r)".

Now......from crate to production? 6.4L 392ci 510hp Hemi for me, please!

Hell, if I'm gonna pay a "gas guzzler tax" for a 6.1, might as well go whole-hog and get ALL the ponies I can for the cost of the tarriff. Gas Guzzler TAX - like they're not gonna already get me at the pump with exorbitant gas tax every time I fill up. [:@]
Old 01-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Check out my latest post:

https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/m_9367/tm.htm
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.