Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Is the Dodge Challenger a Failure?

Old 09-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Dodge Challenger a Failure?

Is the Dodge Challenger a Failure?

Ducati Minor Pretty straight-forward question. Of the supposedly sold-out SRT-8s, hundreds remain seated in dealer showrooms. The SRT-8 did fall victim to poor timing (gas spikes and huge weight) and dealer add-on charges of up to $25K. Even though there has been some positive word on the lower-trim SE and R/T Challengers about to hit the market, the big flock to dealerships Dodge hoped for hasn't happened. Has the Challenger turned out to be another Chrysler dud? Has this attempt to evoke nostalgia for a "simpler time" ended up following the Plymouth Prowler and Chevy SSR as a failed experiment?

http://www.nextautos.com/forums/amer...nger-a-failure

There were also some mixed comments after the article.

I am hoping that after the Camaro comes out next year that prices will be more competitive.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:34 AM

Default RE: Is the Dodge Challenger a Failure?

Dealership greed is the reason there are cars yet unsold by the dealership. The fact that about 100 were damaged prior to final delivery and where delayed may play a part as well. The car is hit everywhere I go.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:45 AM

Paladin I think has hit it on the nose. I do not see this as a failure on the part of the car, but the dealerships themselves. In believing that we would buy this fantastic car no matter the markup, is a sign that they were indifferent to the marketplace. There is a Dodge dealership by my office who took in the first Challenger I saw for real back around the 4th of July. They were asking a little over msrp, $65k. That car remains unsold and they are still asking $65k. Its too bad as the dealers appear to be killing off the Dodge brand, not Chrysler.[:@]
Old 09-21-2008, 03:17 PM

I agree.My dealer has 3 2008 Challenger sitting since July.I made a deposit 2 years ago for one at a reasonable price but not 70.000.00$.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:36 PM

There were problems with the way they took orders and sold the 08s. IMO they should have only made 5,000 for the US and then gone into the 09s earlier.

We need to see if Chevy can learn anything from this when they release the Camaro.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:02 PM

It's not a failure yet... I've got a buddy that wants to buy a V-6... We won't know till the end of the year though when the cars get rebates. Dealers so far are the reason we don't see Challengers everywhere.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:22 PM

Well, one thing I have to admit is that when my wife and I stopped at North Star Dodge in San Antonio several weeks ago and they were trying to sell an SE for $6K over MSRP, the place was packed and everybody was looking at trucks. They had two SRTs out by the curb and the SE and an SRT in the showroom and she and I were the ONLY people looking at the Challengers. Of course, they were having a big truck sale and maybe that had attracted only people interested in trucks, but I thought it real strange that we were the only ones looking at the Challengers. Or maybe people knew about their outrageous markups and avoided the Challengers because of that.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:17 AM

The car is not a failure at all! It is a product of its economic times. I had posted earlier the similarities between Thunderbird and its launch in 2002, and Challenger launch in 2008. The development and build were set up during prosperous economic times, and catered to a well defined market. Outside economic forces (stock market/ retirement paln values, and gas prices) changed and impacted that market.

My Challenger is the finest car I've ever owned, including Lincolns, best ride, best handling and performance. Cool looks and attention not withstanding.

Steve