Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Ford bites Bullitt with fresh 'Stang

Old 12-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford bites Bullitt with fresh 'Stang

December 7, 2006

Ford bites Bullitt with fresh 'Stang

"We're not just going to put it out there and let the thing die"

By Jack Mazurak
jmazurak@clarionledger.com

Ford will market more performance versions of its retro-styled Mustang starting with a Bullitt edition next year and plans to add a high-output version of its Lincoln flagship, the MKS.

Speaking in Jackson on Wednesday, Ford Motor Co. Vehicle Program Director Jeff Wood said a different Mustang package will be unveiled each year until 2010.

"We're not just going to put it out there and let the thing die a slow death. We're going to continue freshening this Mustang every single year. In 2007 we've got the new Bullitt version of the Mustang coming out, and I just wish I could talk about the '08s, '09s and '10s."

Wood also hinted at a high-performance package in the works for the Lincoln Towncar replacement, the MKS.

A Bullitt edition Mustang likely would combine a 310-plus horsepower V8 with a lowered suspension, special interior and gauge design and an exclusive wheel design. Bullitt refers to the 1968 film Bullitt in which Steve McQueen drove a dark green Mustang fastback.

Ford sold a Bullitt version of the previous-generation Mustang in 2001. It shed the plastic wing and ground effects add-ons common to special-edition Mustangs in favor of signature dark green paint, retro-style gauges and seats as well as a polished steel fuel door.

The company's attention on its muscle car isn't only to honor the nameplate's 43-year history. Dodge, Chevrolet and Pontiac are readying V8-powered coupes that could spark a revival of the 1960s halcyon muscle car days.

Dodge said it will put its Challenger concept car into production for 2008. It will be built on a shortened version of the rear-wheel- drive platform shared by the Dodge Magnum, Charger and Chrysler 300. It likely will offer a V6 and a couple of choices of Hemi V8s.

Chevrolet has said it plans to resurrect the Camaro name and offer its muscle car with a Corvette-version 6.0-liter, 400-horsepower V8. And Pontiac recently said it plans a new version of the GTO, likely available with the same 400-horsepower engine.

Ford's current Mustang went on sale as a 2005, so by the time the pack of new competitors arrives, the Mustang will be the old mare of the group. A Mustang concept Ford that showed last week at the Los Angeles auto show could hint at styling cues to be used in the updated packages Wood spoke of or it could preview the next-generation Mustang scheduled to arrive late in 2010.

Rather than using its in-house designers for the Mustang concept, Ford turned to Italdesign Giugiaro, a company that's sculpted vehicles for many of the world's automakers.

Wood wouldn't discuss details of the high-output Lincoln, but the regular-version car is set to go on sale in 2007 as a 2008 model offering a six-cylinder or V8. The Ford/Yamaha jointly designed V8 will be sourced from the Volvo XC90 where it makes 311 horsepower.

Using that engine's output as a benchmark gives credence to the various automotive Web sites that report Ford is working on a turbocharged version of its new V6 for the high-output MKS that would make at least 350 horsepower.

Lincoln's large car will need it if it's going break the Towncar's retired-golfer car mould and take on a younger, sharper sport-sedan image. Both foreign and domestic marques will challenge the MKS for buyers. Cadillac's STS can be had with a powerful, supercharged V8, Chrysler's 300 offers a 420 horsepower Hemi, and Lexus has introduced a gas-electric hybrid GS 450h for 2007.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Ford bites Bullitt with fresh 'Stang

I really think it is silly to charge so much money for the Bullitt package when they do little to modify it. Granted it has special interior improvements, but I mean really why not offer a serious power boost. How about they offered the 325 hp version in this instead of the Shebly model. 10hp isn't even noteworthy at this level.

I thought I read somewhere that they had decided to keep the explosive coffin-on-wheels, oops I mean the Lincoln Town Car. I hope they solved the problem that they had with the smaller version of that joint venture V8. It had serious issues in the 1996-1999 SHO. They need to look into offering a turbo or supercharged version of the V8 as well if they want to compete.

Here is something that is bugging me. Why does Lincoln make a full-sized truck when the truck segment is losing popularity, instead of making their own luxurious version of the Mustang. They could take the mustang, give it a higher tech suspension, a more refined and higher tech powertrain, give it classier interior, and the works. Then they would have a model that could compete against BMWs and Mercedes in terms of performance and luxury. If they did the styling corectly (which they are getting worse about in the Lincoln division), this could be a good seller.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-08-2006, 07:33 PM

How many Mustangs do we need? Shelby, GT 500, Bullit, blah, blah, blah...

I do like the Mustang but enough... What's next? The Paris Hilton Mustang, the South Park Mustang...
Old 12-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: awsure

How many Mustangs do we need? Shelby, GT 500, Bullit, blah, blah, blah...

I do like the Mustang but enough... What's next? The Paris Hilton Mustang, the South Park Mustang...
Yes that is the one they use for crash tests since it is accident prone. Then it gives a bizzare blank stare from the headlights.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts