Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Ford looks for life from Mustang

Old 03-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford looks for life from Mustang

Dodge is quiet so Ford doesn't know how to respond, so they will wait.

Ford looks for life from Mustang

By The Associated Press
March 5, 2007

MUSTANG SLIDE: After two strong years, sales of Ford's Mustang sports car dropped 19 percent in January and February compared with the same months of 2006.

THE REASONS: Several industry analysts say the car, which debuted in the fall of 2004, has been on the market a long time in a segment where buyers value the latest style. Company officials say it could also be wintertime sales blues.

THE OUTLOOK: Ford says it will come out with several variations of the car to keep it fresh until a new one arrives. They won't say when that will be, but the Dodge Challenger will enter the market in 2008 and the Chevrolet Camaro in 2009.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Ford looks for life from Mustang

This is exactly my theory on why they are being so quiet on the official info on the Challenger. If I was incharge I would also be tight lipped. Now Ford has seen once again that the popularity of the Mustang does not last forever. This is why they need the rest of their line to be competitive. One car cannot do the job for the entire line-up.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-06-2007, 02:45 PM

Let's face it...every Challenger and Camaro purchased takes a prospect off from Ford's plate. Those 3 cars will compete head to head for the muscle car enthusiast. They see the excitement generated by both & now have to sit and wait for the inevitable bloodletting.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

That was exactly what I have been predicting since the Challenger concept hit the autoshow floors. Here is what Ford needs to do to become competitive again.

Time to take the Crown Vic behind the barn and bam! Replace it with the Australia designed Ford Falcon. Give the Fusion the new Ford/GM designed 6-speed instead of those 5 & 6 speed Aisin units, and give the Duracrap (excuse me Duratech) the same treatment as the Crown Vic. Offer a competitive and reliable V6 even if they have to temporarily outsource for the meantime (Chrysler 3.5L H.O., Nissan VQ, etc.).

When the Taurus nameplate returns also bring it back with the SHO badge option with the 4.4L Yamaha V8 and an available 6-speed manual. Offer the Focus with a version of the Mazda Speed 6 engine with AWD to go up against the Mitsubishi EVO. Bring back the Thunderbird and Cougar on the Falcon platform to compete against the GTO using higher tech engines (both V6s and V8s) and technology (navigation systems and the such), but make it affordable this time and no extreme styling like last time. Use the Focus platform to make a domestic competitor for the Solstice and Sky. Make coupe versions of the Fusion, Milan and Focus. Also make a convertible of the Fusion and Milan.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts