Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline

Old 01-10-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline

Yea, I told my dad that he should get a convertible to put beside his '71 Plum Crazy/black convertible...besides, a plum '10 convertible and his '71 convertible would make nice bookends around his Go Mango '70 hardtop! Or if I get the Sublime, and he picks one of the other Hi-impact colors, we could have one of each of the Hi-Impact colors spanning 35 years!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:41 AM

Default RE: IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline

I am not a car guy so I have a question about this maybe you can help with. A convertible obviously lacks a B-pillar for support so how do they make up for it? Or, do they? If they can do away with that for a convertible why then would a coupe need such an addition? Sorry if I am beating my drum on that point but I just really like the design absent the B-Pillar.

Thanks[8D]
Old 01-10-2008, 12:35 PM

Maybe when they switch to the LY platform for 2010 that will take care of the B pillar.

Bob
Old 01-10-2008, 12:42 PM

My guess is that since the convertible quantities will be limited they will fortify the chassis to make up for the lack of B-pillar, and charge accordingly...but having the B-pillar in the mass produced hardtops will keep the price lower...Kind of like the 'Deputy' Challenger with fixed rear windows from 1970!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

Wow, DmnBoy, you guys have quite a collection.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 PM

I was raised Mopar, and our family has always had a pentastar product to rely on...my dad is retired, and uses an '05 Ram Cummins to drag his 5th wheel around, '05 300c for daily transpo, and the 2 Challengers for fun(Convert is origional Plum Crazy small block/auto & the hardtop has a hot 360/Pistol Grip 4 spd)...I've got my SRT-6, Demon 340, '68 Charger R/T and a '73 Gremlin (400 Bigblock Mopar powered)for fun, plus a '73 'Cuda project and '70 Gran Fury on the back burner...but I've still got one more parking space reserved for a new Challenger!! In the past I have kicked myself for letting a rare car go, so I just keep adding garage space now!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

awsure, the "B" pillar is to support the roof. The roof is what strengthens the chassis.

Without a roof, you have to add about 200lbs of steel to further strengthen the chassis and so a convertible is usually heavier than a couple but
it still does not handle has well because the chassis is not as stiff.

The "B" pillar keeps your head from being smushed inside the roof if the car flips.....with a convertible that is a moot point, your head paints the concrete red.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Mopar_Nut

Allpar.com was on the money when they reported the convertible a few months ago.
And the 6.4L long before that...
Old 01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
Banned

Sounds like a mighty fine garage. I wish I was around to see the 15 Challengers my stepdad had when he was younger. Now, talk about a real collection.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:40 PM

You just committed my pet peeve writers error bro. Please for the love of Pete...

MOOT point...MOOT point...

If it was mute we would not hear it...

Sorry to tease ya...had to do it![8D]

As far as a crushed head...yes I understand the safety aspect. I just do not understand the structural aspects...I know for some adding a couple hundred pounds (underneath?) is not acceptable but I would gladly sacrifice a little speed fo rthe look without it. I cannot believe the smart designers today could not compensate for it somehow.

Quick Reply: IL Insider: Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro Convertibles in the Pipeline