Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Models that must abandon ship

Old 02-18-2008, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Models that must abandon ship

Models that must abandon ship

February 18, 2008

BY MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS AUTO CRITIC

So you think Chrysler vice chairmen Jim Press and Tom LaSorda have it easy? Then pretend you're Chrysler's product planning boss for a day.

The rules are simple: Take Chrysler LLC's current model line, eliminate uncompetitive vehicles and those that are too much like each other. Then add new cars and trucks to make the automaker profitable when the process is done in three or four years.

The object is to end up with 18 vehicle lines, the target Chrysler is working toward.
Remember, this is more like Rubik's Cube than checkers. Each move you make rearranges all the other squares. For instance, if you decide to drop the Chrysler Town & Country and keep the Dodge Grand Caravan, how does that affect the rest of the Chrysler brand? Does it dilute Dodge's tough and capable signature?

Here are some suggestions:

Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Challenger -- The 300 and Charger are great cars that sell well and should form the backbone of their brands' identities. "The 300 redefined Chrysler," said analyst Stephanie Brinley of consultants AutoPacific. "They absolutely must keep that image. The Charger and 300 don't appeal to the same people, so duplication between them is not a problem."

The Magnum sporty wagon struggled in the market, so it must go.

The Challenger large coupe is a natural addition to Dodge's lineup, a performance model that's priced and styled to become the brand's image vehicle.

Dodge Viper SRT 10 -- Put it in the terrarium. The Viper breathed life into Dodge when it debuted, but an $84,460 600-horsepower two-seater is too far removed from the reality of the brand. Fuel-economy concerns and the fact that it can't be built alongside any of the company's other models will doom the Viper, Brinley said.

Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger -- The uncompetitive midsize sedans must go.

"I never understood why they didn't take the magic of the 300 down a size and make a killer midsize car," said Michelle Krebs, editor of AutoObserver.com. Chrysler should get that dynamite sedan and a convertible, while Dodge could use a sporty coupe from the family to give it a car priced and sized to compete with the Mustang and add pizzazz to the brand.

The company's midsize sedans always have struggled against cars like the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. Fine new models like the Chevrolet Malibu and Ford Fusion only have increased Chrysler's woes.

Chrysler might roll the dice by using a version of the rear-wheel-drive platform for the next-generation 300 and Charger. A family of smaller, less expensive sedans, coupes and convertibles with rear-drive styling and performance might shake up the market and make the Chrysler 200 the "it" car of 2012.

Chrysler Crossfire -- Drop it. The Crossfire served its purpose, boosting morale and garnering positive headlines during Chrysler's last crisis, but the beautiful two-seater is at the end of its useful life.

Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan -- Building and selling two versions of the same minivan costs too much money, Chrysler Vice Chairman Press recently told the company's dealers. You can make an argument for keeping either, but the company can charge higher prices for the Chrysler one, and a badly needed bigger crossover with SUV looks fits Dodge's lineup, so the Grand Caravan is the one to go.

Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass, Jeep Patriot, Chrysler PT Cruiser -- Lose the Compass and improve the Caliber and Patriot.

"Dodge needs something in that segment, but they must do it better," Brinley said. "Maybe they could develop it in a partnership with Nissan." The two small Jeeps are too similar to each other, and the Compass is the weaker model, so it should go, she said.

Chrysler also must improve the compacts' drivetrains. An
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Models that must abandon ship

I'm w/ them on the Nitro. I didn't get why they needed dodge version of the liberty.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

"Time for another Good Idea, Bad Idea."

Good Idea:

Listening to outsiders advice.

Bad Idea:

Listening to yes-men's advice who are on the outside.

[sm=outcold.gif]

The End!

The things he is correct about is common sense, but about everything else he is saying is way off.

300/Charger/Magnum/Challenger: duh! That's whats happening and for a reason. Common sense. Get a different base engine that will be mentioned later, add either the 4.0L or something suggested later. Offer the 6.4 or 6.5L and in the case of the Challenger possibly a supercharged HEMI. Also add a diesel with similar or better fuel economy and power capabilities as the MB/Bosch 3.0L CRD. Lose both transmissions and replace them with what is suggested later.

Avenger and Sebring: half way correct. The Sebring sedan is a flop. There is too much wrong with it to fix, get rid of it. Make a CTS competitor and name it the LeBaron. The Avenger has three problems: dash interior quality, V6 isn't competitive enough, and trunk is too small. Look to the LH cars for inspiration, give the SXT a GDI 2.4L, an ES model the EGG version of the 3.5L, and give the R/T the SEMA spec 4.0L V6, and stretch the darn trunk. Possibly even consider changing the front fascia to look more like the Viper so then it doesn't look too much like the Charger for those who like swoopy designs. Manuals on SXT and R/T models.

Crossfire: common sense again in this form and already happening. A performance coupe though would be a good idea just one that is ACTUALLY a 100% Chrysler product for a change instead of always relying on MB and Mitsubishi.

Grand Caravan and Town & Country: has it backwards. The Caravan has been running for almost 25 years on the same vehicle category, much larger than any other nameplate the brand is currently using with the exception of the Ram. The Town and Country now being part Voyager is diluting the luxury image the brand should be trying to rebuild, plus the Caravan is more popular. Kill the Town & Country and make a crossover using that historical nameplate. Until better interior can be obtained, use the Town & Country's. Up the power on the 3.8L back to at least early 2000s level (215hp & 245ft-lbs of tq), offer a higher output 4.0L(perhaps through GDI) on an ES model and keep current 4.0L for SXT, offer a 3.5L OHV version of 3.3L OHV engine for a replacement.

Caliber, Patriot, Compass, PT Crusier-common sense but not entirely correct. The Compass should go, it isn't selling period and it is damaging Jeep's off-road image. The PT Cruiser should be attempted again just done under a different name plate as it is hurting Chrysler's luxury image. The Patriot should at least receive a V6 (3.8L at bare minimum) and get some better dash materials. Until the dual-clutch is ready, use a lower strength version of the 62TE (perhaps a 60TE). Also consider renaming the Caliber the Omni to save the tough sounding name for a different, more deserving model. Also offer a small diesel. Also drop R/T nameplate and use ES instead on Caliber.

Aspen and Durango- wrong! The Aspen is doing quite well. The satisfaction rating from CR ranks the Aspen towards the top of customer satisfaction and it does not have an inventory problem. Also the Aspen has the potential to do what the Escalade did for Cadillac, it needs further investment. The Durango should be given one more chance. It should look more like the first generation model and both should receive more efficient transmissions and a small diesel engines.

Grand Cherokee and Commander- correct but commonsense. The 7 seating capacity needed to be added to the Grand Cherokee, not have a separate and uglier brother to offer it next to them. Also, send the moron who got rid of the high quality materials from the 99-04 models to a nut house and get interior that makes the 99-04 interior look cheap. Also, offer on other models so then it does

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 02-19-2008, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

My rationale agreeing with nixing the Nitro is that it should have a reason to exist. With the liberty serving that segment, I just don't see the need. I kind of see the reasoning for Aspen (compete in the luxury suv space) but even that is suspect now that the Chrysler brand was muddled with Plymouth where it isn't even trying really say it's only luxury. I still they have a need for the third brand. Bring back Plymouth, and make Chrysler the premium/exclusive brand again.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 AM

Well Plymouth coming back ain't gonna happen, even though I agree it would make logical sense. I actually think Chrysler HAD a good idea going with the Eagle brand until they mucked it all up and went by way of the Geo brand.

If I had to choose between a Nitro and a Liberty I'd definitely take the Nitro, largely because it's available with the 4.0 V6, the Liberty is still saddled with that stuck-in-the-90s 3.7 V6. [:'(]
Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 AM

I say keep the Nitro, nix the Liberty, IMHO the Nitro is better looking.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

If I had to choose between a Nitro and a Liberty I'd definitely take the Nitro, largely because it's available with the 4.0 V6, the Liberty is still saddled with that stuck-in-the-90s 3.7 V6.
I say keep the Nitro, nix the Liberty, IMHO the Nitro is better looking.
Good points. Lose one of them. If the nitro can satisfy more people and garner more sales, keep it. Just don't have two products w/i such close proximity.

Again both points are valid.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 PM

Just one question on Viper. Last time I checked every time you see them advertised they get snapped up immediately. Even a used Viper around here is pounced on. Why would you get rid of that?

My mantra is if it does not sell dump it...period. If people buy 'em keep building them.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: awsure

Just one question on Viper. Last time I checked every time you see them advertised they get snapped up immediately. Even a used Viper around here is pounced on. Why would you get rid of that?

My mantra is if it does not sell dump it...period. If people buy 'em keep building them.

I'd go one step further. If you can break even, or even lose negligibly on per unit margin (to where it's a nominal expense) and foster hype and luster of having a thoroughbred than why would you not just consider it a good will expense to keep people talking about your brand (certainly as effective as advertising I would think).

Old 02-19-2008, 02:59 PM

I say keep the Sebring.. its a good car.

Quick Reply: Models that must abandon ship