Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

NEW on the Dodge Site!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW on the Dodge Site!

Valid points Jeremiah, it isn't over until the fat SUV sings. Just because it isn't going to offer it immediately does not guarantee anything either way. They might change their minds. It could be possible that they are afraid it could cannabalize the Sebring convertible sales as well. I personally think they should offer a convertible model as they appeal to different audiences, but it may be more trouble than what its worth. Remember this platform was originally used for larger sedan, a convertible model might require a lot of work on their part.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

I also agree with Jeremiah. I think Chrysler is cautiously optimistic and acting responsibly to their share holders. They probably have a gut feeling Chally's will sell well, but until they have some units rolling off dealer lots, they won't have hard numbers supporting their gut feelings. And if it were your money in Cerberus, I'm sure you wouldn't want those responsible for growing it to be making irrational decisions on "well, ford and chevy have'm". There has to be proven demand for the money required to tool up a significantly different assembly line.

I'm sure if there's money in offering a convertible we'll see one, and even if one isn't offered by Chrysler, there'll be someone offering their hacksaw services and welding to stiffen up the chassis, for a nominal sum of money of course!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 AM

Theoretically I will concede that Jeremiah and Skippy do have a valid point, strictly from a business standpoint.

HOWEVER...

Car companies make prototypes all the time, some that end up getting produced, some that never see the light of day. Take the new Chevy Volt, for example. Is GM really gonna build this car? Who knows, I doubt even GM knows for sure. But at least they're thinking about their customers who may want a strictly hybrid/electric car (or whatever its claim to fame is), customers who very well might otherwise shop the competition because they feel their needs aren't being met by GM.

Take the Viper as another example. Did Dodge really NEED to build an outrageously fast 2-seater? From strictly a business standpoint, I would say no, it didn't. But Dodge did it anyway largely because, I feel, they WANTED to, for a number of reasons. And all the reasons I can think of are largely from a WANT and emotional standpoint, not a business one. Dodge knew that it wouldn't be a mass-produced car and that its profit-margin wouldn't be that great, but it knew such a machine would be the perfect target for those who had an emotional NEED (or WANT) to have such a car - screw the bean-counters who would have otherwised nixed the car because their MIGHT not be a sufficient demand for it - from strictly a business standpoint.

Personally I have no need or want for a Challenger convertible... but I think it's a mistake for Dodge to dismiss the idea of one. Sure, in a couple of years they might consider the idea, but what about those potential customers it will have lost in the meantime to Ford or GM because they DIDN'T take a couple of years to "consider" the idea - they just went ahead and did it. Maybe Dodge is doing the safe by holding off on any convertible plans, maybe they aren't. It may be safe, but I personally don't think it's necessarily the right thing. Only time will truly tell, I guess.

Sorry for being long-winded, but do you see what I'm getting at here? Am I the only one who feels this way?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Take the Viper as another example. Did Dodge really NEED to build an outrageously fast 2-seater? From strictly a business standpoint, I would say no, it didn't.
You are again taking an old car, the Viper. 1st Production started in 1993 and the concept car before that. Again a different time and era (14 years ago). The economy wasn't so global as it is now and fewer MBA's in existance.

Chrysler needed it to go after it's nemesis the Corvette back then and prove to the American public they could.

Cerebus is being financially very cautious and trying to make good business decisions for its stock or financial holders.

I agree that I think they could get more marketshare but they have to take everything into consideration such as financials, time to market, manufacturability, limited resources, etc.

You first have to build it and build it well and then grow. Crawl before you walk

I would not be suprised to see one in 2009.....but just a few but I am just guessing.

THis is a different global economy that we live it than back in the day when bean counters were not as important and engineers had more control.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

You are again taking an old car, the Viper. 1st Production started in 1993
1992, actually

Again... from strictly a business standpoint, your point has some merit. And again, if Dodge came up with some off-the-wall idea of making something like a sedan version of the car (or worse), believe me I'd be right there with you.

But come on... we all know that the Challenger is going to do battle mostly with the Mustang, which of course has a ragtop, and the new Camaro, which Chevy has paraded around a prototype convertible version of for the public to see and has certainly generated more interest in the car than there otherwise would be - would you not agree with that? (especially since they apparently won't have any competition from the Challenger...)

Cerebus is being financially very cautious and trying to make good business decisions for its stock or financial holders.

I agree that I think they could get more marketshare but they have to take everything into consideration such as financials, time to market, manufacturability, limited resources, etc.

You first have to build it and build it well and then grow. Crawl before you walk.
So, by that rationale, is GM being financially irresponsible or not making a good business decision by already stating that they are in fact making a Camaro convertible - even gone so far as to produce multiple prototypes of it? Or should they be "financially cautious" like Chrysler and tell their stockholders and fans alike that "there are no plans to produce one at this time" (even though there really are).

Does Chrysler know something that GM doesn't? I agree that Chrysler does need to be a bit more careful since it's now under new management, but the Challenger was a done deal long before Cerebrus took over, so I don't think that argument is valid.

The bottom line is... here are new 2 cars, the Camaro and Challenger, that will competing for largely the same market share. One company is willing to listen to its customers and not be shy about offering a convertible as well as its hardtop (GM HAS to know there'll be a sufficient market for it - they wouldn't build one otherwise, since they have their bureaucratic bean counters too). The other company, despite many fans saying they want one, gives a VERY left-handed (and VERY stubborn) "maybe-we-will-maybe-we-won't" attitude. I can't help but wonder if Dodge is being TOO cautious in this case for its own good.

Again, I will concede that maybe Dodge is doing the right thing here. I originally thought that a 4 door Charger would have been a laughing stock and I thought it was a dreadful mistake not to at least make a 2-door version... but I (thankfully) was proven very wrong on that one. I remember back in 1994 when Dodge debuted the new Ram pickup design - I was convinced that it wouldn't sell at first... boy was I wrong on that one too! Maybe I will be this time too... like I said before, only time will tell.

BTW, good debate [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 09-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Again... from strictly a business standpoint
It has to be in this global economy. If you are a major corporation, that is the only way to look at it.

Do not look at any other way, if you are a major corporation. I think this is the part you are not getting.

Yes it will do battle with the Mustang, but the Ford Mustang has a head start and the Challenger has barely gotten off of the ground. You cannot compare those two.....it is not fair.

GM being financially irresponsible or not making a good business decision
GM has the muscle to pull it off and Cerebus is too new. Again not a fair comparison.

Your comparisons you keep making are not totally valid between the cars and companies back then to the way things are done now in global economy.

You have to build something that you feel will have a good ROI based on the market and doing marketshare research and what you can build.......
you cannot do this on emotion or shoulda, woulda, coulda mentality.

Thanks for the complement on the debate, but I am not trying to debate. I am just trying to paint you a realistic picture.

As an example, Ford built my all time favorite car the GT-40 but they call it the Ford GT. This was supposed to be "the pace car for an entire company".

That was a decision that was based on emotion.....it was a flash in the pan. Ford is not doing too well these days and btw neither is GM for that matter.

I do not like convertibles myself so I will consider this my last post on this topic. I would much rather talk about what is about to happen in Challenger news in a configuration I am interested in and a convertible is not one of them.

Give me a 7.0 L/MDS/VVT/6-speed manual Tremec/LY platform/G meter/shaker hood/18/19" wheels/HD-FM/six-shooter LED/electrochromatic mirror/IRS/hi perf exhaust/gear ratios and you then you get my attention.

Enjoy the forum!

One of your favorite moderators....Jeremiah 29:11 LOL!
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Yes I agree, I believe I've stated my point and any attempt to do so further would cause me to end up repeating myself... it's obvious we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

And, like you, I personally don't care about a convertible model, I personally couldn't care less if Dodge ever makes one or not - that was never my point.

Give me a 7.0 L/MDS/VVT/6-speed manual Tremec/LY platform/G meter/shaker hood/18/19" wheels/HD-FM/six-shooter LED/electrochromatic mirror/IRS/hi perf exhaust/gear ratios and you then you get my attention.
I'm definitely with you on that one... but until all the hoopla and dealer gouging subsides I may have to settle for a "base" R/T with the 5.7 motor - if I can get one out the door for less than 35K. I realize it may be a VERY long wait! [sm=smiley13.gif]
Old 10-01-2007, 07:20 PM

Personally I prefer that they would make the Demon convertable to compete with the solistic/sky and the MX-5 than a challenger convertable.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Whatever happened to the Copperhead. That was a hell of a concept.

Personally, if you're talking and Dodge and convertible......DAKOTA!

http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Desert...geDakota2.html

I never understood why these didn't sell well enough to be around still?

Seemed like they were ahead of their time.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:11 AM

It's good that they are addressing potential consumers