Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Peer Review: Was the New York Auto show "green"?

Old 03-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peer Review: Was the New York Auto show "green"?

It is obvious this Keith guy is not a Muscle car guy.

Peer Review: Was the New York Auto show "green"?

We visited the New York International Auto Show this week and found ourselves wishing that more car companies would introduce real eco-friendly cars instead of concepts. We weren't alone: many critics thought that this year's show was a sort of last hurrah (hopefully) for muscle cars before American companies realize that drivers can't afford them with gas prices at $5 per gallon. Other reviewers were encouraged, however, not just by the fuel cell and hybrid concepts that abounded, but by the real electric cars that are coming out of Japan. Views about cars and the car show from around the web after the jump. And if that's not enticing enough, just click Continue for photos of some hot rides.

Dodge Challenger shows American car companies don't care about the environment

"Here at the New York Auto Show, nothing is slowing down the parade of muscle cars taking the stage. Chrysler is showing off its reborn Dodge Challenger, with a screaming V8 hemi engine… it's green be damned. Like an infamous Yankees pitcher, the New York Auto Show is all about the juice… What are these guys thinking?" — Keith Naughton, Newsweek

Electric Denki Cube is great, unrealistic

"Call it a publicity stunt if you must, but it's tough to deny that Nissan's Denki Cube E.V. concept is exceptionally cool. It's intended to stir up some excitement in advance of the American debut of the company's gasoline-powered Cube small car" — Matthew Phenix, Wired
Saleen Raptor concept is only vaguely green but very awesome

"The concept is said to make the run to 60 in a mere 3.2 seconds all while sipping on cellulosic ethanol. That's right folks, the S5S Raptor is a psuedo-environmentally friendly car with renewable fuel on its mind. Sounds good to us, we're happy with anything we can blast around in supercar-style long after the dinosaur squeezin's run dry." — Ben Wojdyla, Jalopnik
Not so many green production models, unless you count SUVs like these

"In a show with few truly green production models, Mercedes-Benz tried to drive three S.U.V.s onto the environmental high ground. Bluetec diesel versions of the ML-, GL- and R-Class go on sale in October and will be the first new diesel passenger models to meet the pollution rules of all 50 states." — Lawrence Ulrich, The New York Times
V-6 is greener than V-8

"This year's shows could be a final gasp for the American muscle car, as automakers try to figure out whether fuel economy standards will force them to compromise on horsepower and whether younger buyers will even be interested in the kind of nostalgic performance cars that are captivating Baby Boomers. [An analyst] noted that the Genesis Coupe has a V-6 engine - not a V-8 -" — Dee-Ann Durbin, The AP

Hybrid Technologies converts less green technology

"Major automakers Nissan, Subaru, and Mitsubishi showed working vehicles, while an upstart brought in a conversion with impressive stats… Hybrid Technologies uses its proprietary battery management technology to convert existing cars, fitting them with lithium ion battery packs and electric drive units. The Liv Wise is converted from a Toyota Yaris, and has a range of 90 to 100 miles" — editors, CNet
Detroit doesn't quite get green

"'Detroit is finally gettin' it.' Words I overheard at the Dodge Challenger stand. Despite all the talk of low-emissions, high-fuel mileage cars, including a forum at the GM stand to talk about the Chevy Volt, Detroit's big cars at New York are the Challenger and the Pontiac G8 GXP and ST, showing off their rear-wheel-drive V-8 swagger… It's Detroit's luck that it is finally "getting it" with cars that the 2020 Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards could make obsolete." — Todd Lassa, Motor Trend
Japan does, however

"On the flip side, two
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Peer Review: Was the New York Auto show "green"?

I like the fact that Mopar here is again exceptional in the article. If you're standing out, you must be doing something right. Invariably, only time will tell if this was a wise business decision. I think it will garner sales and reinvigorate the company. A sort of final coupe de grace for a heritage of big cid power and then, again, a reinvigoration toward cars that can perform w/ less.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:01 AM

"before American companies realize that drivers can't afford them with gas prices at $5 per gallon"

I think the fact that gas prices have doubled in the last 3 years shows that americans barely change their driving habits just because prices go up. People will still buy SUVs, muscle cars, and V8 powered pickups and they'll still drive them just as much. It just means we'll have less disposable income to spend once we get to where we're going. Which of course is bad for everyone who isn't in the oil business.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

That's why we should all invest in publicly held oil companies, so when they prosper and oil prices go up and gas w/ it, we can laugh our ways to the gas station, down the road and to the next one.