Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Recent different Challenger models and designations?

Old 12-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent different Challenger models and designations?

What are the different Challenger models and designations?
December 19, 2008

The Dodge Challenger R/T 28J is being discontinued, and the 24J is the new designation. What are the differences between the two models? They seem the same to me. Does the 24J not have the MDS engine?

Michael, Ridgecrest, Calif. The new Dodge Challenger instantly established a following that included loyalists who obsessed over every part of the muscle car. Even the Challenger’s option packages with code designations are scrutinized.

28J identifies the transmission choice and option package on an R/T Challenger (SE and SRT8 models use different coding): 28 designates a five-speed automatic transmission and J is an optional package. The 28J options haven’t been discontinued for 2009, according to a Chrysler representative. The 24J and 28J models are, in fact, the same package.

Transmission choices on the Challenger dictate whether the car has Chrysler’s cylinder deactivation feature, called Multi-Displacement System. Challengers with automatic transmissions, including 28J and 24J, use this feature to improve fuel efficiency; manual cars do not use the feature.

2009 Challenger R/T Code Breakdown

27 = Six-speed manual transmission

28= Five-speed automatic transmission

F = Base Challenger

J = Quick Order package
This package adds 276-watt amplifier, six Boston Acoustics speakers, automatic headlamps, heated front seats, leather-trimmed bucket seats, luxury front and rear floor mats, power heated fold-away mirrors and Sirius Satellite Radio.

M = Classic package
It isn’t available until January 2009 and includes striping, retro 20-inch wheels and special Challenger emblems.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:16 AM

Default RE: Recent different Challenger models and designations?

Good stuff J-Dawg! Thanks for the heads-up. I assume the "M" package is the R/T Classic and/or SRT8 Spring Special package in B5 Blue....correct?
Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 AM

Default RE: Recent different Challenger models and designations?

26A - SXT Package (Canada) - Full load minus the leather heated seats, and autolamps. Comes with Sunroof, allwheel ABS, power package, keyless entry, rear track bar, (now some did come with spoilers some didn't)