Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Show reveals the new looks

Old 04-03-2008, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show reveals the new looks

http://autos.canada.com/news/story.h...4-16a6a5004dd0

Show reveals the new looks
Neil Dunlop, Canwest News Service
Published: Thursday, April 03, 2008

For me, the hilarity began at Pontiac's debut of the 2009 Solstice Coupe, 2009 G8 GXP Sedan and the 2010 G8 Sport Truck.

Bob Lutz, vice-chairman of General Motors, took the stage and immediately began with the one-liners.

"You know, it was just five short years ago that Pontiac had no rear-wheel-drive cars, just one V8 and enough body cladding to fill an Aztek. We used to say 'We build excitement' and show you a four-cylinder Grand Am."

The total yuck-fest was, of course, all in service of the three new rear-wheel-drive Pontiacs behind him on stage, including the sharp-looking Solstice Coupe, a hardtop version of the standard roadster. It's available early next year.

The G8 GXP gets the same 6.2-litre V8 engine as the Chevrolet Corvette, with 400 horsepower and 402 pound-feet of torque -- enough, Pontiac says, for the sedan to go from zero to 100 kilometres an hour in less than five seconds.

The announcement that a six-speed manual would be available (a disappointing omission on the G8 GT) was met with cheers. Cheers at a Pontiac launch?

Maybe Lutz was right: The brand has changed. The G8 GXP will go on sale late this year. The G8 Sport Truck is essentially a G8 GT sedan with a pickup bed in place of the rear seats.

Anyone who's been Down Under will recognize this is as the Holden Ute (Pontiac's version will also be built in Australia), but others might see it as the reborn Chevrolet El Camino (last sold in 1987), reviving memories of bell-bottom jeans, big hair and Bachman-Turner Overdrive.

The Sport Truck's schizophrenic lineage made Pontiac balk at naming it, so the manufacturer set up a website where name ideas can be submitted. Pricing is not yet announced, but the new El Camino should hit dealerships in late 2009.

Lutz brought out rap star and "Pontiac owner" 50 Cent to discuss the naming contest. The silver-haired GM executive called him Fifty Cent instead of the usual Fiddy, so names are consistently problematic at Pontiac.

Across the show floor at the Dodge stand, another silver-haired auto exec was prepping for his stand-up routine.

Jim Press, Chrysler vice-chairman and president, unveiled the 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T and S/E, weaker siblings of the 425-hp SRT8. With a 375-hp 5.7L V8 and available six-speed manual transmission, the R/T is still a serious muscle machine. Built in Brampton, Ont., all Challenger models will go on sale this fall.

Each model was introduced with a separate skit. When the curtain didn't open and the lights didn't illuminate for the 250-hp V6 S/E model's segment, Press joked that they were "saving money to put back into the company."

At the launch of the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, a band butchered tunes while a pair of stunt drivers fishtailed the spiffy new rear-wheel-drive coupes all over the place. The car, billed as the "most affordable 300-hp coupe on the planet," is a looker, featuring BMW-style creases and trunk deck, Lexus-like headlights and tail lights, hatchback and fenders reminiscent of the Jaguar XK coupe and rectangular AMG-style exhaust pipes.

When it goes on sale next spring, two engines will be available: a 306-hp 3.8L V6 and a 212-hp 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder. Add 19-inch wheels, Brembo brakes, sport-tuned suspension, the rear-wheel-drive setup and an expected price thousands less than competitors such as the Infiniti G37 and the Genesis Coupe looks like a winner.

Best of all, Hyundai had an open bar and I only had to elbow three fellow journalists to get a free beer.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Show reveals the new looks

So Lutz is ripping off of the idea Chrysler had back when they were having Lee Iaccoca doing ads for them again, bring in Rap stars. Incredible! That El Camino idea is not a good move.

That joke Jim Press made was witty. At first, I thought he was referring to using the non-updated powertrain use of the 3.5L with the 4-speed that has been in this form for pretty much 3 different management eras.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-03-2008, 11:07 AM

I think the G8 is a good looking car, unlike the new Cadillacs.
The G8 truck is tempting, but it has a short bed, which doesn't seem too useful.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

I like the G8 as well, I just don't like the El Camino idea since it doesn't have a very good tract record of success, plus I think it looks wrong.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-03-2008, 03:48 PM

I liked the Pontiac "El Camino" concept at the New York Auto show. Maybe I'm partial...I have a59 El Camino (huge) and a 1999 Ranger.

[IMG]local://upfiles/447/19DC798DDEB64991B30C7F61F83A781D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-03-2008, 03:49 PM

I like it way better than Explorer Sport Trak.
Steve
Old 04-03-2008, 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

So Lutz is ripping off of the idea Chrysler had back when they were having Lee Iaccoca doing ads for them again, bring in Rap stars. Incredible! That El Camino idea is not a good move.

That joke Jim Press made was witty. At first, I thought he was referring to using the non-updated powertrain use of the 3.5L with the 4-speed that has been in this form for pretty much 3 different management eras.

You'd be suprised at the power rappers have. Look what they did for diamonds, and platinum, Courvoisier (coganc), Air force 1 tennis shoes, Hyponitc, large rims, and overall soverspending we have in this country. All they need to do is put one in a few music videos and kids will they are cool.

ORIGINAL: Billionaire

I think the G8 is a good looking car, unlike the new Cadillacs.
The G8 truck is tempting, but it has a short bed, which doesn't seem too useful
I think the new cadillacs are nice. I am actually happy for caddy's recent success, but to each their own.

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

I like the G8 as well, I just don't like the El Camino idea since it doesn't have a very good tract record of success, plus I think it looks wrong.
I agree, the front end seems out place from the rest of the car.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

With you JoeyR. I dig the new caddies. The deville is sharp. And the convertible coupe is a tight looking ride (70K); didn't know they were demanding that much for them.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

stevelegel, I'm not fond of the Explorer Sport-Trac either. I prefer a truck to be a truck and a car to be a car and an SUV to be an SUV and a minivan to be a minivan without mixing any of them together.

joeyr, I'm sure your right about the power that rappers have due to the history of influence the musicians have over people for the last 50 years. Elvis's hair style rubbed off on guys, as did the Beatles ungroomed appearance. Girls want to dress like Brittney Spears just like girls wanted to dress like Madonna before her (and act like them on top of that). On a daily basis I see the power that they have with the fact that I see more underwear on teenagers and adolescence than I see in Wal-Mart. I'd think after at least ten years, that would go out style (or at least I hoped it would)[:'(].

I also agree that Cadillac is doing better than they have for years. They are getting people my age to talk about considering one of their cars from an audience that used to only talk about getting a BMW or Mercedes. That is a more than noteworthy accomplishment since the only people I knew before hand that would get a Cadillac were senior citizens and funeral homes. It's not a good thing to depend on a dying segment.

Skippy, I've heard that the XLR (the convertible that is actually a Corvette) is not selling very well unfortunately, but when you think about it for a minuet, it makes sense. Why spend $70K to get a mear 320hp, when for the same price or less you can get a Z06 that has 500hp and a more recognizable nameplate. I'm not sure how long the XLR will be with us if things don't change.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 AM

The Subaru Baja, or whatever it's called is ugly too.

Alas my first car shall be a Canary Yellow '82 Ranger.

Not fond of the Explorers either. or any SUV with 3 rows of seats and that little of trunk space. If your looking to get a 8 seater like a Explorer, get a suburban instead and you then can have the trunkspce you need for 8 people. Now, if you need a ride to tow stuff with and you want trunkspace get a truck with a camper shell