Notices
Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

GM reveals car it hopes will tame Toyota

Old 01-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM reveals car it hopes will tame Toyota

I think this car looks kinda ugly.....but what do I know.
They are going to tame Toyota.....yeah sure.

GM reveals car it hopes will tame Toyota
Redesigned Chevy Malibu boasts nice interior and a sleeker appearance as it goes up against Camry and Accord.

January 2 2007: 4:40 PM EST
DETROIT (Reuters) -- General Motors Corp. unveiled details of its redesigned 2008 Chevrolet Malibu sedan Tuesday.

GM (Charts), which has dominated the sport utility vehicle and truck market for years but has steadily lost share to Asian competitors in the car category, plans to launch its redesigned Malibu in early 2008.

Industry analysts have said GM needs a strong entry in the mid-size sedan market, where its largest brand, Chevrolet, has lagged for years. GM, which lost $10.6 billion in 2005, is in the middle of a broad turnaround that involves cutting jobs, closing plants, reducing structural costs and increasing its focus on cars and crossover vehicles.

The Malibu, which will be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit later this month, will compete with Toyota Motor Corp.'s (Charts) Camry and Honda's (Charts) Accord.

GM sold 100,000 to 125,000 current-model Malibus in the past year, less than a third of the Camry's total annual sales.

The Malibu sold for an average of $17,939 in December, after an average cash rebate of $2,438, according to data collected from dealers by the Power Information Network. In the same period, the Accord sold for an average of $22,402 while the Camry averaged $23,441 - both without large cash rebates.

But analysts say the new Malibu is much better than the current version, with a sleeker outer appearance and better quality interiors.

The redesigned Malibu shares its mechanical components with the recently introduced Saturn Aura sedan.

GM said the redesigned car will compete with the Camry on fuel economy and price. The Camry starts at $18,720.

The new Malibu will be quieter inside and have new standard safety equipment, such as side curtain airbags and stability control, GM said.

GM will launch a number of redesigned vehicles this year, including the Cadillac CTS and the new GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Buick Enclave crossovers.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/3FFAFB0327C34B52AC2FFF0E936D91EE.jpg[/IMG]
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:37 PM

Default RE: GM reveals car it hopes will tame Toyota

I see it moving pretty well.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

This Toyota sales guy I know claims they will beat GM in 2007 because they sell so many cars.

I am sure he is biased but they do have a good car.

Even Japanese friends of my will not buy any other car than a Camry.......saying it is even better than Honda.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 PM

But analysts say the new Malibu is much better than the current version, with a sleeker outer appearance and better quality interiors.

The redesigned Malibu shares its mechanical components with the recently introduced Saturn Aura sedan.

GM said the redesigned car will compete with the Camry on fuel economy and price. The Camry starts at $18,720.

The new Malibu will be quieter inside and have new standard safety equipment, such as side curtain airbags and stability control, GM said.

GM will launch a number of redesigned vehicles this year, including the Cadillac CTS and the new GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Buick Enclave crossovers.

Just watch out Toyota.

Chevrolet is the volume leader for GM and this glorious mid-size sedan will sell heaps for GM.

Watch it gain traction year and year! Much better than boring Camry......fabulous interior, great powertrain and fantastic tranny. Match that with a great price and you get SALES, SALES, SALES...
Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

I agree that it looks ugly. It reminds me of the Toyota Yaris from the front. I think GM is making a mistake in trying to make the base model division try to compete against Toyota. They would be better to try to do it with either the Saturn or Buick division. Saturn is easier to change their image and reposition since they are newer. The Buick division has a more upscale image that could be utilized much the same way Chrysler is currently used to compete against Toyota.

The area where the GM and Chrysler come short is they need to offer either a 5 or 6 speed with their I4s. This would help them better utilize their power better as well as their fuel economy. The latest Car & Driver comparison showed how valuable an extra speed is to the I4 models. Although the GEMA "World Engine" was in fact more powerful than all the other I4s (except the Nissan Altima), and it was one of few that had Dual VVT it was still the slowest because it doesn't have a shorter geared first gear. If they would do this, it would help them a lot.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts