Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

Wouldn't you really rather have a 'super Buick'?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wouldn't you really rather have a 'super Buick'?

The guy who wrote the article has got to be kidding.

Wouldn't you really rather have a 'super Buick'?

Saturday, May 12, 2007
By G. Chambers Williams III
San Antonio Express-News

Nostalgia is a big seller in the car business these days, especially among baby boomers.

That's why Dodge brought back the Charger name and is about to reintroduce the Challenger. Chevy is about to roll out a retro-styled resurrection of the Camaro.

Buick is getting into the act this fall with the revival of the "Super" name, which was last used on any of its cars in 1958.

For 2008, the Super badge will reappear on the top-end models of Buick's two sedans, the LaCrosse and Lucerne.

The company says the LaCrosse Super will come with a 300-horsepower, 5.3-liter V-8, a version of the engine used in a number of other GM products, including its pickups and SUVs.

With the higher-priced Lucerne, the Super badge will be tacked on to a model with a 292-horsepower, 4.6-liter V-8.

GM says the new Supers "are engineered for Buick by the GM Performance Division to inspire performance on demand."

The LaCrosse Super's 5.3-liter engine comes with GM's new "Active Fuel Management" system, which cuts out four of the eight cylinders during level highway cruising to help increase fuel economy.

No EPA ratings have been announced.

For 2007, the most powerful engine offered in the other LaCrosse models is a 240-horsepower, 3.6-liter V-6, rated at 19 miles per gallon city/27 mpg highway. The base engine is a 200-horsepower, 3.8-liter V-6.

Buick says the LaCrosse Super will come with a chassis that "has been sport-tuned to deliver responsive handling characteristics."

The Lucerne Super's engine will be a 292-horsepower version of the 4.6-liter Northstar V-8 already offered in the up-level CXS model for 2007.

The current 4.6 engine offers 275 horsepower and has EPA 2007 ratings of 17 city/26 highway. The base Lucerne engine is a 197-horsepower, 3.8-liter V-6, with EPA ratings of 19 city/28 highway.

With the Lucerne Super comes a specially tuned version of GM's Magnetic Ride.

There are unique exterior and interior design cues for the Super models, along with the special badging.

The LaCrosse Super comes with a new waterfall grille, hood and front fascia.

It has a lower grille opening than the other models, along with chrome trim and fog light bezels. Other features include new portholes, rocker moldings, rear fascia, dual chrome exhaust tips and a rear deck spoiler.

Special interior touches include sport front seats with increased bolstering and woven-embossed leather inserts, GM says.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:09 AM

Default RE: Wouldn't you really rather have a 'super Buick'?

Buick doesn't really interest me. Oldsmobile is dead. The new Camaro is hideous. The Mustang just doesn't get my attention. Don't want a plastic Chevrolet (vette). The GTO died after a 3 year run. As of right now, the Shelby is grossly overpriced for what the dealers are charging. Don't want a 4 door car such as a WRX-STI or EVO.

I wonder if there will be a Firebird or Trans-Am version of the Camaro that is coming out?

The Challenger is the only thing on my scope as of this moment, and I will not pay outrageous markup nor buy it in it's first year.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:08 AM

Oh that is too funny man, lololol, I thought the guy was gonna start talking about the GSX or GS lol. At the very least maybe a retro looking Riv which wouldn't be too much of a stretch since the new Camaro has very similar lines to one anyway, but I am sure they are too clueless to think of something like that. Yeah, they brought back the Challenger just to compete with the Lucerne lololol, maybe we will get lucky afterall and they will also bring back the 'cuda just to compete with the Ford Festiva.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 PM

That is funny. For all i care they could call the new challenger the "super-poop-mobile" and i would still buy it. A name is just a name.[sm=shades.gif]
Old 05-14-2007, 01:55 AM

Unless someone refers to your Challenger as a "Chally." Then it's time to strap it on, dude. [sm=chairshot.gif]
Old 05-14-2007, 12:58 PM

HAAAA HAAAA HAAAA HAAAA HAAA

Sure, I'd rather have a Buick... oh, wait, I am not 75 years old, and I don't like hideously ugly land yachts that drive like they are underwater....

I guess maybe I WOULDN'T rather have a Buick!!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Although adding the "Super" line will help Buick's image a little, they need a more serious upgrade as the V line has been for Cadillac. Too bad no GNX is in the works. I'd be much happier with a Challenger, thank you.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 05-14-2007, 11:07 PM

If Buick wants a car to sell bring back the Grand National, the G body style. That was a car that rocked. So few of them are left and they bring such a high price and you know why. Because they are a good car! Screw the "Super duper sucky four door that a 75 year old will buy" and give me a 2 door that will rock my world like the Challenger, thats what I say! Also, I have a 02 300M what would blow the doors off of any thing that Buick has to offer, so bring it on! [sm=gears.gif]
Old 05-16-2007, 02:01 PM

Buick Gs and GSX would be nice...