Notices
Dodge Challenger SE Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger SE should be placed here.

First Problem with the car

Old 12-05-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Problem with the car

Yeah, but the thing that gets me is the carbon buildup at that low mileage (or, in your case, kilomeratage, I guess). Do they have any idea what caused that? And what's to keep that from happening again?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:24 PM

well that's what gets me.... is this going to be an on going thing? if it is going to keep happening I'm going to see to it that dodge either fixes the car or provides a free extened warranty. i'm hoping the PCM reflash resets the fuel curve so it won't run rich, so I'm not holding my breath but I just want it fixed so that I can enjoy the car. It has spent more time at the dealership than on the road.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:43 PM

Man this is too strange. Hope you get her back soon.

ORIGINAL: canadiancanuck

thing is it's a new car and more and more electronics to go wrong, it's going to happen whether I like it or not, the only positive side is it's warrantied and I'll keep using warranty while it's still available.

The dealership just called back, they seem to feel that they have taken car of the problem by replacing the coils and plugs, and they noted the fuel curve was riched right out, so they reflashed the PCM? their doing the oilchange right now and going for another road test. Hopefully that fixes it??
Old 12-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: canadiancanuck

RLSH007 - car is running Mid Grade fuel, only 2 tanks put in, first from the dealership and my most recent which was Wednesday evening. weather conditions are mild temps, -2C to +11C so normal to average temps.

So at the dealership, the car rolls in rumbling like a jack hammer, first thing the tech sees is a misfire. so he runs the diagnosis and gets no default code but a misfire in cyl #2. Turns car off and restarts and car runs fine, pulls the connector off the coil for #2 and the car shudders, thinks maybe it's a bad PCM. I leave it overnight.

The service dept. calls me today and advises me they found carbon build up on #2 and #4 plugs, and cyclinders #2 slight carbon, and #4 MAJOR build up. They have replaced the cylinders and coils on #2 & #4 and have ordered a new PCM which may be 1-8weeks from the US. So I'm, without a car for that long....

She says you do need to service these cars, to prevent this type of build up as this is signs of missed services?? I tell her I've owned the car for 2 weeks now and have only 1800kms on it, she pauses and says OMG really.... that sucks. I said you guys are doing an oil change on it as well, and she says oh....... I'm starting to lose my composer with the car and Dodge. Next is a call to Dodge Canada.
Yeah, I was thinking it was probably a coil/electrical related problem. I just needed to have all the other possible odd possibilities cleared first. The there is definately an ignition problem. You might want to find a different dealer as they sound incompetent. When ever someone who has a clue gets this fixed, it should be fine. These engines are a good design.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 12-05-2008, 06:12 PM

Torque converter staying locked up when stopping loading up engine when stopping???????????
Old 12-05-2008, 07:14 PM

I think your dealership is making excuses for spending time behind the wheel "checkin it out"........Maybe it is just too cold and it needs a warmer, more arid climate[sm=shades.gif]
Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Valkyrie9901

Torque converter staying locked up when stopping loading up engine when stopping???????????
I remember some talk about rusty torque converters delaying production on some cars...
Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 AM

**UPDATE**

So as most of you knew, the car went back in again last Friday, again the misfire was happening and yet again, no fault code thrown. The tech that has been looking at the car walked by and shook his head, the guy got mad??? He yells for the service manager to come out into the service bay and he proceeds to raise his voice at the manager and actually backed me up. He started with "see... this is what the F&^% I'm talking about... the owner who is standing right here isn't on crack.... this is what he has brought this car in 6 times for", so now the service manager is watching the car shake and sputter, says "go grab your computer and lets get the code". SO the tech who is shaking his head goes and hooks up the car and the service manager is beside himself scratching his head and too his amazement (and it was like caveman inventing fire here) states... "OMG there isn't a code that's odd"... the tech who I think at this time was ready to hit the manager pipes up and says, "I can't trace this, I can duplicate the issue but the car doesn't throw a code", and proceeds to do his coil trick, disconnecting and reconnecting the coil connector, the car shudders and then idles fine with no code.... so the manager says "we'll have to find the problem, I can't just throw parts at it....." at this point the tech is ready to snap, storms off to the control tower and comes back with a stack of work orders and slams them on the counter and says..... "6 times... this poor guy has been in, 6 f*&$^% times.... I think it's time we throw parts at it to fix this!!!!" and he exits the bay. I was standing there like I had just witnessed a fight between Mike Tyson and a 3yr old in a wet diaper with a waterballoon that just TKO'd Tyson..... it was priceless. The manager then looks at me and apologizes and tells me that he thought I was making this up and that there was NO WAY a car wouldn't throw a code...... but he wants the car to diagnose...... I told him I had enough with the crap and that if he wasn't going to order the PCM like stated from day 1 after I diagnosed misfires than I would be calling Chrylser Canada and demanding my money back for the car.... and I left the dealership.

SO I get to my office and call Chrysler, I am put through to the Western Regional Service/Parts Manager and plead my case, he calls the dealership and gets the WO's and calls me back and the only words out of his mouth were " ok, I've sent the PCM, new coils, new plugs and new cylinders for Friday, so we have you booked at he dealership... I'm sorry this has been an issue and if you have any other problems here is my cell phone #.

The tech calls me at work and apologizes for his behavior and I was surprised, I told him that I was impressed with his stand and well I have parts coming... he was stunned as after I left the GM of the dealership hauled this service manager into an office and reamed him out after the call from this Western guy. So hopefully this will resolve the problem. The car is booked for the service this Friday.

Sorry for the novel but man if I could have video'd this episode I'd have posted it, you had to be there.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 PM

Too bad you couldn't video it. That would have been classic to see!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 PM

since posting that, I've had a rep from Chrysler Canada call me to confirm the parts, and book in time for Friday. The Service manager called me to confirm the parts are in transit and they are tracking them daily, If I need a rental car fo rthe afternoon rather than shuttle, and if ANY issues should pop up they will be making any and all arrangments to keep me happy.

Quick Reply: First Problem with the car