Notices
General 1970-1974 Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the E-body (1970-1974) Dodge Challenger

Whats a 1972 Challenger Worth?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whats a 1972 Challenger Worth?

ORIGINAL: lear4406

Nothing wrong with the info you will find in this section. Like all forums you have a few who know too little but want to give advice real bad. But we have answered questions on this section of the forum and helped folks with an answer to their 1970-1974 questions. Don't let a few helping hearts stand for all who post here. The question was not a difficult one... but one of speculation. And when it comes to how much for $$$$. Then its a question of where we stand financialy each and every day. The value of an older car is only what someone will pay you at that time. If things go financialy bad, then I'm sure an older car is not primary on the list of things to buy. So advice I can give anyone that is sure and true at the time (technically) I give, if its speculation... then I will steer a person to a place that can help.
I did noy mean to belittle anyone here. My point was that there are much better places to ask that question. I would be willing to bet that if I showed most guys on this site a photo of each year 70-74 Challenger they could not tell the difference from one year to the next.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:24 AM

Here's a picture of it how it sits now.

More pics available.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: KMPX2

Nothing wrong with the info you will find in this section. Like all forums you have a few who know too little but want to give advice real bad. But we have answered questions on this section of the forum and helped folks with an answer to their 1970-1974 questions. Don't let a few helping hearts stand for all who post here. The question was not a difficult one... but one of speculation. And when it comes to how much for $$$$. Then its a question of where we stand financialy each and every day. The value of an older car is only what someone will pay you at that time. If things go financialy bad, then I'm sure an older car is not primary on the list of things to buy. So advice I can give anyone that is sure and true at the time (technically) I give, if its speculation... then I will steer a person to a place that can help.
I did noy mean to belittle anyone here. My point was that there are much better places to ask that question. I would be willing to bet that if I showed most guys on this site a photo of each year 70-74 Challenger they could not tell the difference from one year to the next.
The differences? Let's see....

1970: Original car. The best. Look at today's car for its grille and taillights/backup light.
1971: Had the extra chrome stuff on the grille (more like the concept Challenger's grille). The taillights were split into two sections, had two backup lights and a Challenger insignia between the two sections.
1972: Completely different front end, the "sad-eyed" look that brought the body color up around the headlights. Also, the taillights were split into two sections on each side. This front end/rear end treatment lasted through '74.
1973: Legally-mandated 5-mph "impact bumper" installed on front end; 2.5-mph "impact bumper" for rear.
1974: Legally-mandated 5-mph "impact bumper" installed on rear end (and, yes, if you see a '73 and a '74 side-by-side, there is a definite difference between the rear bumpers).

Any other questions?
Old 10-10-2008, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It needs some love If the car is solid (as in floor pans. trunk pan and frame rails) then that is a good selling point. I would spend a little time in cleaning it up and striping away the bad carpet so the pans can be seen. Take some time to make it more presentable. Degrease motor and trans and find out options that it came with. Put together a list of pluses that a buyer might be interested in. Good luck and I hope this car finds a new owner to get it back to it glory days.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not take it as a put down. I only answered the question. Speculation is just that. If its technical there is a right answer. If its speculation then theres no real tangible answer, only what a person thinks is the answer. What is his car worth? What someone will pay for it. 70 and 71s go for the most. Big block R/Ts and HEMI cars the most. Small block 340s next. 72-74s go for less. Except for the elusive 360 4-speed cars. They are rare and very few made. 318 and 225 sixes are the least on the list. But with the Challenger so rare these days and engine transplants so common... that is where this car will find its worth. I don't see too many folks leaving a 318 in with a 5.7 or 6.1 as an option. 426 or bigger HEMI being the most popular of the swaps. Then they could always make a 70 out of it. So the advice flows, but is that an answer or just my opinion. I think its just my opinion
Old 10-10-2008, 03:16 PM

I did not take it as a put down. I only answered the question. Speculation is just that. If its technical there is a right answer. If its speculation then theres no real tangible answer, only what a person thinks is the answer. What is his car worth? What someone will pay for it. 70 and 71s go for the most. Big block R/Ts and HEMI cars the most. Small block 340s next. 72-74s go for less. Except for the elusive 360 4-speed cars. They are rare and very few made. 318 and 225 sixes are the least on the list. But with the Challenger so rare these days and engine transplants so common... that is where this car will find its worth. I don't see too many folks leaving a 318 in with a 5.7 or 6.1 as an option. 426 or bigger HEMI being the most popular of the swaps. Then they could always make a 70 out of it. So the advice flows, but is that an answer or just my opinion. I think its just my opinion
Thats a good answer! well done, Also as the supply of good 70-71 dry up people will turn to 72 and later
Old 10-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Thank ya much for the advise. I really wish I had the time to work on it, but I figure since I cant I'd sell it to someone who will enjoy it and has the time to play with it.

Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 AM

Personally, I would pass...judging from the picture I would bet that the car has some real rust issues, and look at the roof....Plus this is not the most desirable year or model (not a rallye). E-bodies, no matter the year are not cheap to restore, so If you are willing to put $$$ into a project car I would look for a 70 or 71. Also, unless you have the skill and $$ to do it right..look for a better example: Yes more money up front, but less money in the long run.......(Just my two cents for what it's worth)