Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

08 challenger srt8 or 09 nissan gt-r

Old 01-28-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 08 challenger srt8 or 09 nissan gt-r

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

ORIGINAL: mac

I for one have always enjoyed old cars and always thought if we could reproduce the shell of an older car with the modern technology, that would be the way to go.
Isn't that basically what we're getting with the '08 - '09 Challenger?

Sorry, but regardless of the performance disparity, I STILL haven't seen anything that's ever been called a "classic/antique" Japanese car.
20 years from now, my kids will have a classic American Muscle Car to share and enjoy (if I'm not still around) when I buy my Challenger this summer and leave it to them.
20 years from now, the GT-R will be old, rusty, and impossible to get parts for - not to mention it won't be worth a bucket of fertilizer.

Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth.
First a defense of the Skyline:
If any Japanese car could be considered a classic, the Skyline would be the one. Prices for first gen Skylines (around the same era as the Challenger) were around 40K when I looked at them about a year ago. Not the insane prices we see for certain muscle cars, but far from a rusty piece of junk. The car has a well documented history of racing success and exceptional performance. There were people here making big bucks grey-marketing the non U.S. spec models (Look up some stories on MotoRex to see the most well documented example), and there is a generation growing up now who see the Skyline as a performance icon. Predicting future value though is anybody's guess. I don't personally think anyone should buy any new car with the intention of making big $ on in down the line.

Then my personal opinion:
I wouldn't buy the new Skyline, it just doesn't do it for me. I'd like an R34 Skyline before I got the new one. The old body style is blocky and pissed off looking, the new one looks like a personal luxury coupe. The new Challenger...well, what can I say that hasn't already been said. It's awesome.
If you're going to the racetrack, get the GTR, if you're driving on the street, get the Challenger.