Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

180 tstat

Old 02-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 180 tstat

ORIGINAL: Rudy61SRT8

Whylee you better read up on the "other forums" ....

CAI will void your warranty , read the handbook that came with your car .and so will exhaust there is a 13 page thread "lurking" around.

I do not judge anything concerning a warranty by what other people say on a forum. I go by what is the law.
If your dealer tells you that your warranty is void because of a mod, then by law they have to prove that mod caused the problem.
The 180 Tstat will not trip any sensors, it will still run plenty hot enough, the hotter temps just get them through tighter emissions standards.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:15 AM

Paladin you have a cool dealer...
Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 AM

He sure does. I've heard of guys voided for engine mods, and I personally know a guy voided for a Predator retune. I know some of the 'vette guys have been voided at the dragstrip, but who knows whether Chrysler is that hard line. I have a great relationship with my dealer and I'm just going to ask him next time I'm in.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:42 AM

Oh, you'll always have a warranty, until something serious goes wrong, then it might be another story.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:25 AM

Exactly.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:01 AM

If something breaks it breaks....on another forum some people were saying burn offs will void warranty.
If thats the case why do they have a button and tell us how to use it (ESP)?[8D]
The T-stat is about emissions.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: whylee

ORIGINAL: Rudy61SRT8

Whylee you better read up on the "other forums" ....

CAI will void your warranty , read the handbook that came with your car .and so will exhaust there is a 13 page thread "lurking" around.

I do not judge anything concerning a warranty by what other people say on a forum. I go by what is the law.
If your dealer tells you that your warranty is void because of a mod, then by law they have to prove that mod caused the problem.
Copied from another thread:

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

Hope this helps clear things up.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:21 AM

I have been told that the M-M Act offers protection for the use of aftermarket REPLACEMENT parts. For example, if you replace your oil filter or air filter or any other part for that matter with a direct replacement from another manufacturer (Fram, K&N, etc), Chrysler cannot void your warranty because you didn't use a Mopar part. This would cover any part of the car, not just MRO replacement items or consumables.

The question here is when you MODIFY your engine with a different chip, Predator tune, CAI, etc are there then grounds to void the warranty if you have an issue. If you add CAI, headers, cat back, rechip, and modify the tstat and the engine blows up, is Chrysler legally bound to fix it under warranty? I've seen cases go both ways and I don't know the legal answer, if there is one. I'm going to check with my dealer and see what he says. CAI might not be an issue since Mopar sells one, exhaust probably not either. As for the rest, who knows.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: MoparGuy

I have been told that the M-M Act offers protection for the use of aftermarket REPLACEMENT parts. For example, if you replace your oil filter or air filter or any other part for that matter with a direct replacement from another manufacturer (Fram, K&N, etc), Chrysler cannot void your warranty because you didn't use a Mopar part. This would cover any part of the car, not just MRO replacement items or consumables.

The question here is when you MODIFY your engine with a different chip, Predator tune, CAI, etc are there then grounds to void the warranty if you have an issue. If you add CAI, headers, cat back, rechip, and modify the tstat and the engine blows up, is Chrysler legally bound to fix it under warranty? I've seen cases go both ways and I don't know the legal answer, if there is one. I'm going to check with my dealer and see what he says. CAI might not be an issue since Mopar sells one, exhaust probably not either. As for the rest, who knows.

It is a pretty grey area, but again they have to prove the replacement part caused the problem, if you installed a lower temp Tstat, they would have a very tough time proving that because your motor was running 10 - 15 degrees cooler, that caused the motor to blow.
I have also seen these go both ways with dealers, but if you know the law, and you know how your motor and what effects what, you can tell if your mod affected the problem.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:58 PM

Well, I feel pretty comfortable with my dealer not voiding my warranty, but I haven't really heard a good resaon to switch to a 180 degree t-stat. Is there a benefit? Greg, can you weigh in?