Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

6 speed convertible

Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed convertible

Has anyone received a 6 speed yet ? Are there any on dealer lots yet ? Has anyone heard any more news on a drop-top model ?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:54 PM

Default RE: 6 speed convertible

I've driven a 6spd challenger, but sadly, mine is still in D1. There are many "6spd people" on the forum getting close to getting their cars...
Old 10-01-2008, 01:22 PM

I think I read on Redletter Dodge that the convertible wasn't going to appear in 2010. So, It sounds like it might be a while. Just what I've heard, certainly not an expert.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:51 PM

Jeff,

Where/how did you get to drive the 6 speed.

Give us some reviews on the performance (was it an RT or SRT8?)

ORIGINAL: jeffko

I've driven a 6spd challenger, but sadly, mine is still in D1. There are many "6spd people" on the forum getting close to getting their cars...
Old 10-01-2008, 07:15 PM

ORIGINAL: 05flhtcse

I think I read on Redletter Dodge that the convertible wasn't going to appear in 2010. So, It sounds like it might be a while. Just what I've heard, certainly not an expert.

Several sites have stated 2010 as the date for the convertible...that would mean late 2009 perhaps....but who knows.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 PM

From what I have read there was a R/T convertible slated for early 2010 model year but no SRT. My thought was it was likely because of issues with torque vs. body rigidity but that was just my best guess. There was also talk about the 6.4L 392cid SRT8 but I havent really heard anything new on either one lately.

Anybody have any new news to share... references to sources would be great if available.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:15 AM

I was fortunate to drive a Chrysler "feedback car" in August. The car was a 2009 TorRed 6 spd R/T, ironically optioned exactly like mine. I am friends with the person (who is a chrysler employee) and he let me drive the car around for about 20 minutes. The great thing is that my wife was with me, and that got her excited about the car, since she had only seen pictures until getting to ride in one with me! Anyway, if you have ever driven a car with a tremec, they are very impressive. The gear "notches" are very precise, and take a little time to get used to, but the shifter is awesome. Clutch takeup was perfect, not heavy, and not like my 86 GLH Turbo which took forever to engage off the floor, the travel is very linear. It was after my test drive i learned about all the 6 speed issues, and that's why they have been delayed so long. (rear-diff redesign because of breakage)
Old 10-02-2008, 04:31 AM

Jeff,

Thanks for the response.

First time I heard a specific reason for 6 speed delays - Differential breakage. I'm glad they will sort them out before delivery, but I'm still challenged waiting.

Eric
Old 10-02-2008, 04:40 AM

because of issues with torque vs. body rigidity
This is why there were so few 426 HEMI drop tops
Old 10-02-2008, 04:56 AM

I heard from a big shot with Chrysler that there will be NO Challenger convertible.

The auto industry is barely surviving and the huge funds needed for R & D will not be spent making a low volume specialty car - no matter how much we want it.

It is a miracle that Chevy is rolling out a Camaro convertible, they are hurting pretty bad also.

For that matter, it is miracle that the Challenger even exists.

We are all very very fortunate that Chrysler did not pull the plug and cancel this car.

Insofar as bigger engines for the Challenger......that is not the way they are heading.

The new 5.7 litre HEMI for 2009 has variable valve technology and there is plenty more HP they can wring out that engine without too much trouble.
This engine is acheiving almost the same MPG as the 6 banger in the S/E. It is one of the only V8 engines sold by an American automaker that will survive for a few more years.

The 6.1 litre engine in the SRT8 is on life support, and might not be around much longer.

I have been told that a MDS 6 cylinder engine is next. The 3.5 litre engine in the S/E is a terrific motor that can be tweaked to put out 300 HP - while acheiving great MPG.

This is what I learned from my long conversation with a Chrysler engineer who shall remain nameless.

Quick Reply: 6 speed convertible