Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

An additional power boost for the 5.7 in 09?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An additional power boost for the 5.7 in 09?

I came across this - if it's true, I wonder if it'll apply to the Challenger as well. If it does, it'll also make an R/T decision over an SRT all that much easier.

Pickuptruck.com reports that the new Dodge pickup will actually be offering more power underhood than originally thought. The 5.7L HEMI V8 option will see its horsepower increase from 345 to a whopping 390, while torque goes up from 375 pound-feet to 407. It was originally thought the '09 Ram would offer 380 hp and 404 pound-feet of torque, so here we have a case of underpromising and overdelivering. The improvements in power come courtesy of variable cam timing, an active intake system, higher compression ratio, improved airflow and a reworked Multiple Displacement System.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 AM

Default RE: An additional power boost for the 5.7 in 09?

My guess is that the power boost is only for the Ram. It was going to have 380hp, exactly the same as the evil Tundra by Toyota. I guess Dodge wanted to one up Toyata by giving the Ram 10 extra horses.

But a 390hp Challenger R/T would be sweet, and I wish it would happen, but doubt it will.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Additionally, they mention MDS, that won't be available on the manual transmission right? So would these tweaks and tricks apply, if assertions are accurate to the manual?

Old 06-27-2008, 01:18 PM

I don't see MDS being able to add power. It just shuts off cylinders. Maybe it incurs some slight parasitic loss and that is reduced with the new tweaks. The stick R/T is rated for a few more ponies than the auto, maybe due to no MDS, maybe for other reasons. It could be that the engine bay of the Ram allows a little more advantageous intake/exhaust plumbing (active intake sounds fancy). Or maybe they just took some of the conservative out of their estimates, in order to have bragging rights.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:45 PM

Or maybe they just figured something out while trying make this new Ram better. If the Ram does get that extra little nudge I really don't see why the Challenger wouldn't see the same gain. So then we would see a 380hp R/T right?? Sounds really good. And yeah that little bit does make it that much easier.
Seems like the 5.7 is really the more "tuneable" car. Shoot Dodge just figured something out that's been there for years so what else does this Little "Semi-Hemi" have in store for us.
Even if the Challenger doesn't get the 10hp nudge it really does point in a good direction for the R/T.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 PM

It looks as though Dodge is looking to claim "Best in Class Horsepower" for full size trucks (again! Last time they had that title was when they introduced the 5.7).

Also, it is rumored that the Dodge Ram R/T will go from 0-60 mph in less than 7 seconds (also best in class).

The Ram R/T is a regular cab, short bed, 5 speed auto with a 4:10 rear axle.

That stacked on top of the all-new design and features should land Dodge the Truck of the Year award. But with the economy, gas prices and the media shoving green crap in our faces, the Truck of the Year award will probably go to the greenest truck (which actually would be the Ram 2500/3500 as the 6.7L Cummins already exceeds 2010 emission requirements).
Old 06-28-2008, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

I don't see MDS being able to add power
Good point...I wasn't really associating the MDS with more HP, I was just curious if these enhancements would relegated to gains on the automatic some how (if at all applicable to the Challenger) analogous to manual having more hp right now than the automatic...

I think Kris, could be on to something; maybe in a newly spurred incentive to glean more mpg they tweaked something and found they got both appreciable power gains and mpg gains...regardless...hopefully this follows the mill over to the Challenger from the RAM.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:49 AM

Even if it doesn't come over to the Challenger from the factory, I'm sure tuners will quickly figure out what the differences are, and exploit them. It is definitely nice to see that there is some additional potential to be unleashed.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:26 PM

I just ordered an r/t and what i have read is it is 150lbs lighter than the srt so w/ a possible 380 hp engine shouldnt it get to 60 in like 5.1 or so?
Old 06-30-2008, 04:12 PM

Less engine with less in the way of suspension/brakes etc... makes sense that it would weigh a bit less I guess.

Quick Reply: An additional power boost for the 5.7 in 09?