Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...
View Poll Results: A poll
Make a V6 only
0%
Make V6es and V8s
79.41%
Make V8s only
20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Anti-V6?

Old 11-03-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-V6?

Over on the red letter dodge blog there was a poll of what engine would you put in your challenger. It wasn't really very specific but in the comments there were a lot of people who absolutely didn't want a V6 put in the Challenger at all. Not only did they not want the V6 in their own Challenger, they didn't want the V6 to be available for anyone even if they wanted it (I was one, considering I'm 22, it's an expensive car, and gas price are gonna be getting crazy not to mention insurance).

I guess what I'm wondering is why anyone would feel so strongly that I shouldn't be able to buy this car with a V6? While I'd love to get one with a V8 and will if I can, realistically, if the car costs too much to buy and maintain, I can't get it. I guess I don't really understand the mindset behind wanting the car out of reach from most people. It's not like making a V6 will cause dodge to not make V8s. Ford has the V6 Mustang, and Chevy will have a V6 camaro, so would these people really rather lose someone supporting their favorite brand to the competition just because they can't afford, or don't want a V8? Maybe some people just don't understand what a dollar means to other people, and that as much as I'd love a Challenger, I'm not going to live in a cardboard box to afford one.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:25 PM
mac

Default RE: Anti-V6?

With oil selling at near 100 dollars a barrel and most likely going higher I think a V6 would be an option for some folks since gas could sell for 4 to 5 dollars a gallon. However I will be looking at a V8 Hemi.

I would like it if the engine had a flex fuel option, thus could use E-85 ethonal. I am sure we are working on hybrid corn which would yield a high sugar content, thus making the whole process more efficient with lower costs when you consider the fertilizer and fuel needed to make ethonal.

Also I believe GM has a high output V8 engine which under normal use can run on 4 cyl, but when you stomp on it, all 8 cyl crakn out horsepower. This will also yield good MPG considering the size of the engine.

Anyone know if Chrysler will have flex fuel engines or engine fuel management as I described above?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:08 PM

Like I said on one of the other threads, if Dodge doesn't offer the V-6, the Challenger will die quickly. Personally, I'm interested in this car strictly for its looks -- the same as I was when I bought my '70, which had a 318. Also, lacking space (not to mention money) for a car that would be strictly a toy, my Challenger would be a daily driver -- and I'm sure not interested in some fuel-guzzling Hemi with the price of gasoline going up and up and up ...
Old 11-04-2007, 04:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes and yes to the question of flex fuel and MDS system. Dodge already has an MDS on the 5.7 and word has it they will be applying it to the 6 cylinder of choice. I believe a 6 cylinder would be a good thing for the Challenger. The HP of the new sixes are not too shabby.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

They are too intelligent not offer a 6. I, myself, am getting the hemi...but again this will not be my daily car. I drive a 100 miles roundtrip to work so it couldn't be an option (if it were half I might entertain it). As far the 6, I hope they offer a manual, I think it would compete in the space a bit better. Back to indy and the pats...

Old 11-04-2007, 01:27 PM

yea i say make leaded gas becuase its way cheaper to make and your get more millage plus its good for high performance cars.

they have a 76 station were they sell leaded gas and its about 2.25 a gallon
Old 11-04-2007, 03:59 PM

Well we know they are offering a 3.5. My 3.5 in the Charger is plenty quick, lacks exhaust note tune, is good on mileage.

I think buying Challenger for looks is great!!

Same buying principles apply now as in 1970. Each package has its pros and cons. If you wanted the elephant in 1970 you bought the hemi, no B.S. then, you were the king and the front hood badging said so. Likewise 440/ 6 pack and 440 magnum said so on the hood and meant business too. Cost a factor then, and now too. Me...no SRT 8 for Steve, but 5.7 or 6.1 mid year, yes, I'd send the message with the badging and performance and cost.

Reminds me of my friend when we were back overhauling the 440 on my '70. This was 10 years ago, we were both 40 ish. He says, "man I can't wait to get this out and maybe we can race against some young guys in a rice burner" Me I'm thinking, that the badge says it all, and I could read the headlines, "Local Dentist arrested in late night drag racing bust, Classic muscle car impounded." I guess I'm a grown up after all.
Steve
Old 11-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

The simple fact is the Challenger will have to have one of two approaches: one that is mass produced which includes the production of V6 engines, or one that is a limited production that features only V8s. A V8 only approach cannot be mass produced because the insurance and price would be too high for most people to purchase. If they produce only V8s in a mass produced version, they would be glued to the floor after people saw the sticker price. I know some people have something against the Challenger having a V6 (I honestly can't see why) because they are afraid it will hurt the performance image and they will become too common. Remember that the original Challenger had a slant six and it was nowhere near as powerful as any V6 that they might drop in. The Challenger needs a V6.

mac, the 5.7L has the same system as GM has on some of their V8s. Flex-Fuel currently is limited to the 4.7L Powertech, the 2.7L V6, and 3.3L V6. I doubt any of these engines will be offered on the Challenger, but I'm sure it could be done if Chrysler wanted to make in the investment to any of the other engines they will offer.

forced entry, the problem is the emission laws will never allow leaded gasoline to be used. The catalytic converts cannot handle leaded gasoline and those are required by law. Not to mention that a problem with leaded gasoline is it can leave deposites.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 11-04-2007, 08:26 PM

Well 31% of people don't want me to have a V6 challenger but every reply was in favor of one! Nobody speaking up???
Old 11-05-2007, 07:11 AM

C'mon bro...we are talking about five people. These polls are fun but in our own fishbowl remember the glass magnifies the images.

Put yourself in the ownership's shoes for just a moment. They are thinking this segment with Mustang, Challenger, Camaro, etc... has a possible pool of "x" sales (several hundred thousand I should think) and should (in theory) support a V6 offering. Given the current shrinkage in production and manpower however they are going to (in my estimation) look for results before committing to a V6 lineup. I expect the first 5000 to get sucked up like Halloween candy...the real test will come when the second run hits the car lots.

Quick Reply: Anti-V6?