Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...
View Poll Results: A poll
Make a V6 only
0%
Make V6es and V8s
79.41%
Make V8s only
20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Anti-V6?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anti-V6?

For the record, I realize I'm a jerk for what I'm about to say.

I do not want a V6 Challenger made. I'm 25, and am looking for my first car purchase, and am doing well enough to (probably) afford the V8. No, I do not want you to have your V6.

I want people to see my car and KNOW that its powerful. I do not want them to have to ask what engine I have.

I do not want some kid in a V6 reving his engine next to my car. It is an insult to my car.

I do not want a HUGE amount of challengers on the road. It is a beautiful car, and I know people will buy the v6's if they are made. If I wanted a car like everybody else, I would have bought a mustang a year ago when I could have had a discount through the workplace.

I can see having a V6 pushing up the price of the V8. Because the V6 will be "base", the V8 might have forced luxury items like GPS, auto windows, heated seats...cup holders*shudder* :-) Basically I will have to pay for stuff I don't want, let alone want to pay for. (Of course a lack of V6's could push the price up too because of the scarcity of the car, and more demand for V8's because no V6 is availible)

I know this sounds horrible and selfish. However, I think this is the answer the original poster is looking for. Thankfully, I don't see a V6 not being made, because it WILL sell. That way I don't have to feel like a jerk.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the 1970s you could buy a Challenger with a 225 slant six, 318, 340, 340 six-pack, 383, 440, 440 six-pack, or a 426 Hemi. These cars were designated R/Ts or T/A (340 six-pack). They had badging, spoilers, quad exhaust tips, big white-letter Polygas tires to make them stand out. If you had one of these R/Ts, there was plenty of recognition. No one mistook your car for an economy grocery-getter!

I will be buying a 2009 SRT, but I support everyone who says that Dodge should offer a V-6. If this model is to have a relative long-life, it must be profitable for Dodge and cannot become a speciality car like the limited run Prowler.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:23 AM

1970 was the one and only year that Chrysler produced a Challenger "T/A".

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

In the 1970s you could buy a Challenger with a 225 slant six, 318, 340, 340 six-pack, 383, 440, 440 six-pack, or a 426 Hemi. These cars were designated R/Ts or T/A (340 six-pack). They had badging, spoilers, quad exhaust tips, big white-letter Polygas tires to make them stand out. If you had one of these R/Ts, there was plenty of recognition. No one mistook your car for an economy grocery-getter!

I will be buying a 2009 SRT, but I support everyone who says that Dodge should offer a V-6. If this model is to have a relative long-life, it must be profitable for Dodge and cannot become a speciality car like the limited run Prowler.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:43 AM

Well. . . fair enough I guess. It just seems to me that the people you want to impress with the car would already be the select few who could probably look at the challenger and see the little changes that give away the different models. Anyone interested in Mustangs can just look at a V6 and know by things such as the lack of dual exhaust and GT badging that it's not a GT. Anyone who can't tell the difference like that, could care less what you're driving anyway.

I don't want to own a car that everyone else has either, otherwise I too would have bought a Mustang. But even with a V6 I just don't see the Challenger being as big as the mustang. If on the average day you see 4-5 mustangs you'll probably see 1 other challenger. I think Ford produces over 100k mustangs a year, and Dodge is talking about 35,000 Challengers for 2009 and 5,000 for 2008. Then there's the fact that a Challenger with a V6 would still cost about $5k more than a V6 mustang (based on what the V6 charger costs).

Still better than the 20-30 smog colored accords I see every day. blech.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

I'll be getting the SRT8 as well. I may even toy w/ after a few years scouring ebay for additional grills and may take any signs of the SRT-edge off, just to lure people into mistaking it for a more mundane 6 banger. Then when the green light luminates, the sad realization of what just transpired will as well. Nothing like being underestimated.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 AM

Bring on the V6. I personally like to have the "go" to back up the "show", but the rumored V6's are far from being total slugs (although we'll have to see what the final car weighs). For myself, I'll get the V8 unless it's priced outrageously. I might be able to settle for the 5.7 if it's offered, but I really want the 6.1. Interesting point from Zeigenback about the V6 making the V8 the luxury model always packed with options (which the rumored first run of SRTs will probably be) but if the 09 is broader production there's always the option to order it how you want it and wait. But I think the V8 only scenario would mean limited production and mostly higher prices. Going with a V6 means they'd be aiming for a higher volume, and the economies of scale that go along with it.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:08 AM

I love your philosphy, man! Nothing like a good Sleeper.

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

I'll be getting the SRT8 as well. I may even toy w/ after a few years scouring ebay for additional grills and may take any signs of the SRT-edge off, just to lure people into mistaking it for a more mundane 6 banger. Then when the green light luminates, the sad realization of what just transpired will as well. Nothing like being underestimated.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

If anyone remembers the Dodge Colt Turbo...you could make that thing look like the econobox it was..but that sucker would get up and hump. Hell, even with all the goofy baubles bandied about its body, people would laugh, then it'd resume laying down rubber when you grabbed second gear. This was one of the cars I was referencing when the break in period was being discussed. Talk about abusing a new car. My dad took me to the Dodge dealer and we took a dodge colt turbo out for a test drive to the local chevy dealer and laid rubber down fast and furious....they used to have their clutches tore out. As for the Evo, now that I think of it, this colt was probably their first foray into turning econo-boxes into monsters. anyhoo, grand memories.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:24 PM

I will not call you a jerk. I do think your assumptions about price are 180 degrees off. The addition of a V6 will help to hold price down by creating more choices not drive up the price. The more exclusive you make something the higher the price becomes. Yes, they will be base models (I am certain) much like the current Charger lineup with SXT, RT, etc...

I do think you should get ready to swallow hard and endure because my guess (& HOPE) is a V6 will get made. Unlike you I want people to enjoy this car and participate in the fun. If they can only afford it a a V6 price point then all the better.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

I don't want to own a car that everyone else has either, otherwise I too would have bought a Mustang. But even with a V6 I just don't see the Challenger being as big as the mustang. If on the average day you see 4-5 mustangs you'll probably see 1 other challenger. I think Ford produces over 100k mustangs a year, and Dodge is talking about 35,000 Challengers for 2009 and 5,000 for 2008. Then there's the fact that a Challenger with a V6 would still cost about $5k more than a V6 mustang (based on what the V6 charger costs).
More like 40-50 Mustangs I see every day. About half of those are 2004 or earlier models, but that still counts for me. We will have to see how the trim differs on the 5.7L vs the V6 to see how unique they look compared to each other.

As far as the price, does anybody know the last time a car was offered where you could get the base model, but have the biggest engine?

Quick Reply: Anti-V6?