Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Chrysler embraces the future

Old 09-11-2008, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler embraces the future

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...9-63cc833056c7

Chrysler embraces the future
Chris Vander Doelen, The Windsor Star
Published: Wednesday, September 10, 2008

DETROIT

Consumers would be able to buy plug-in electric cars "years" earlier if the U.S. government provides $25 billion or more worth of loan guarantees for the industry, says the co-president of Chrysler LLC.

Jim Press said Wednesday that Chrysler and its competition in Detroit could use government guarantees to speed new battery technologies, hybrids and electric cars to market.
Jim Press, vice chairman and president of Chrysler, unveils the 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT at the Chicago Auto Show February 6, 2008 in Chicago, Illinois.View Larger Image View Larger Image
Jim Press, vice chairman and president of Chrysler, unveils the 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT at the Chicago Auto Show February 6, 2008 in Chicago, Illinois.

The money "is not a bailout" because Chrysler and the other two Detroit automakers have stabilized their business models and are not losing money at their previous rates, before they obtained more favourable contracts with the UAW, Press said.

"What we want to do is just use it to get technology in customers' hands quickly," Press said when questioned on the industry's plans for the loan guarantees. "This brings it forward by years, not months."

The U.S. Congress approved $25 billion in loan guarantees for the auto industry under an energy independence bill passed last year. With the U.S. industry reeling from the credit crisis and plunging sales, Congress has since been asked to raise that level of aid to as much as $50 billion, although some legislators are balking at that level of support.

Under preliminary plans for the money, any automaker or supplier who invests in new fuel-efficient tecnologies would be eligible to apply for some of the funds. Press said Chrysler would use such money to develop new advanced powertrain technologies and retool plants to build "electrified" vehicles, including plug-in hybrids and electric cars.

Battery technologies would be an important area in which government loan guarantees could help the U.S. achieve energy independence from foreign powers which are currently holding Americans for ransom for oil, Press said.

Unless the U.S. enables industry to develop advanced battery technology the way Korea currently is, the electrification of cars and trucks will simply mean giving up an oil dependency for one on batteries made overseas.

"Are we going to trade our dependence on foreign oil for a dependence on a product that is manufactured elsewhere?" Korea is helping its automotive industry develop battery technology, Press said. "What's wrong with doing that in the United States?"

Detroit, said Press, a former president of Toyota in the U.S., is on the cusp of reinventing itself as the era of gasoline-powered cars comes to an end and other fuels become possible.

"I think you're sitting on a real gold mine of opportunity here. You just have to let go of the past and enbrace the future," Press said.

Press said Chrysler has redirected the engineering talent and energy it used to devote to high performance cars and focussed it on alternative fuels. "Our advanced electrification work is all being done in-house."

Chrysler will debut new alternative-fuel vehicles at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January, Press said.
Now, I'm not saying electric or hybrid Challengers.....But CNG or liquid propane.....?????

Has anyone heard of anyone using either of these fuels in performance applications?

Just curious.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:35 AM

Default RE: Chrysler embraces the future

I was wondering about CNG as i was watching one of the Boone Pickens commercials currently airing around the country.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:45 AM

The trouble with CNG is that it, too, is a finite resource. In reality, all-electric vehicles that could be charged quickly and have a decent range would be the best answer. Personally, I would be perfectly happy if they eventually came out with an electric-powered Challenger. I'm buying the car for its looks.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:27 PM

I still think this is the best answer to our problems:

http://www.sapphireenergy.com/product

The world’s first renewable gasoline, from sunlight and CO2

Sapphire Energy has built a revolutionary platform that uses photosynthetic microorganisms to produce a renewable, high-value replacement for fossil fuel petroleum. This domestic crude oil requires only sunlight, CO2 and non-potable water – and can be produced at massive scale on non-arable land.

Sapphire’s technology and team of renowned experts give the company the unique ability to scale biological systems and produce transportation fuels, including high-octane gasoline, to ASTM certification standards.

The company’s final products will have the same chemical composition as gasoline and will be completely compatible with the existing refining, distribution and fleet infrastructure.

Not ethanol, not biodiesel. Renewable gasoline.
The best part is, our cars will run it without any modifications whatsoever.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:48 PM

WTF YES, who do i send money for stock to?
ORIGINAL: SKiDs33t

I still think this is the best answer to our problems:

http://www.sapphireenergy.com/product

The world’s first renewable gasoline, from sunlight and CO2

Sapphire Energy has built a revolutionary platform that uses photosynthetic microorganisms to produce a renewable, high-value replacement for fossil fuel petroleum. This domestic crude oil requires only sunlight, CO2 and non-potable water – and can be produced at massive scale on non-arable land.

Sapphire’s technology and team of renowned experts give the company the unique ability to scale biological systems and produce transportation fuels, including high-octane gasoline, to ASTM certification standards.

The company’s final products will have the same chemical composition as gasoline and will be completely compatible with the existing refining, distribution and fleet infrastructure.

Not ethanol, not biodiesel. Renewable gasoline.
The best part is, our cars will run it without any modifications whatsoever.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:58 PM

That's an interesting concept. I'm amazed there hasn't been very much news about it. From Googling the name of the company, though, it appears they're still in the early stages of development.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:23 PM

Hey Trev..you send it to me.I will pm my address ...cash only.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:27 PM

The challenge with things like that is to make it practical on a large scale. Still, the whole micro-organism idea is genius. I would love to see it pan out. At least this assures that we don't ever have to run completely dry of gasoline. It may reach a point where it is not the primary fuel for transportation, but should still be available to enthusiasts with collector cars.