Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Cold Air Intake

Old 07-20-2008, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cold Air Intake

OK, another CAI question: Do they help or hinder gas mileage? I'd assume they help.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:37 AM

OK, a question. I honestly don't know that much about about cold air systems. If they are so wonderful, why aren't they stock products? Do they screw up emissions ratings? Can they be used during the winter? Should I put one on my V-6?

As another side not as to why they are not stock from the factory. They allow too much noise. If you read a lot of post about it, people are happy the sound as well. Vehicle manufactures have EPA regs regarding noise levels. Not just exhaust, but overall levels. Engine mechanicals, tire noise, drivetrain noise, etc. A prime example of noise reduction was in the mid 90s iwth the Impala SS and the homepalte looking device behind the throttle plate that was a silencer. People would remove that, and put a block off plate there. If you remove the stock tracts you would see baflles similar to a muffler, to help with sound. CAI try to smooth the air flow and straighten it as much as possible.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:15 PM

I purchased the K&N 63-1114 Air Charger and I'm very satisfied with the results. Seemed to make a huge difference in take off and accelleration.

I was torn between Mopar and K&N but after seeing K&N's claim of 30+ HP gain I went with them. Plus at the time I found it on Amazon for just $198.13, no sales tax and even got Next Day Shipping for only $3.99 because I signed up for the Prime trial. Too good of deal to pass up.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:33 AM

ORIGINAL: djb0308

OK, a question. I honestly dont know that much about about cold air systems. If they are so wonderful, why arent they stock products? Do they screw up emissions ratings? Can they be used during the winter? Should I put one on my V-6?
The constraints put on the manufacturers as far as emissions, safety, noise, etc.. will prevent the manufacturers from installing the best equipment in just about every case. You will probably notice that every performance mod, even if produced by the manufacturer, will have a note that it is for off road use only, not *legal* for use on over the road vehicles. Thus... the aftermarket...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Challenger303

I purchased the K&N 63-1114 Air Charger and I'm very satisfied with the results. Seemed to make a huge difference in take off and accelleration.

I was torn between Mopar and K&N but after seeing K&N's claim of 30+ HP gain I went with them.
K & N is a good choice. I, however, am going with C & L. Don't believe the inflated hp figures. A cai without a cat back and tune will only give you 10 hp. Still good plus great sound and better mileage!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Challenger303

I was torn between Mopar and K&N but after seeing K&N's claim of 30+ HP gain I went with them.
K & N is a good choice. I, however, am going with C & L. Don't believe the inflated hp figures. A cai without a cat back and tune will only give you 10 hp. Still good plus great sound and better mileage!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:30 PM

I love to sell parts also but you need to remember that ANY CAI even a Mopar one has a chance of voiding your powertrain warranty. The problem is almost always the cleanable filter and its filtering capability and or oil contamination from the filter element to intake sensors.

Just food for thought, how much hp will make you OK with this?

ORIGINAL: MrKrisSullivan

Dude I would go with Mopar all the way... especially if your talking about quality... Plus they look about the same anyway and im sure the results are too... on top of that why would risk putting somthing on your new WHIP that MOPAR makes??? Price shouldn't matter about this upgrade in my opinion. Mopar makes a CAI and that's the one im buying.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:44 PM

Guys,

I'm new on here but I'm already seeing a lot of mis information. Mopar and Chrysler/Dodge are NOT the same thing, they are the aftermarket side and have no warranty from Mopar or Dodge. They CAN and do void a warranty, the only thing that may save you is if you have a great dealer that will work with you and go to bat when the chips are down.

Another thing is the warranty CAN be denied, if you have the money to fight it that is your choice but it is hardly ever done.

ORIGINAL: MrKrisSullivan

Dealer can't blame a mod on a car.... He has to be able to prove it .... it is law... But on the other hand you can't say anything if it's MOPAR that's the beauty of it.