Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Exhaust

Old 12-26-2008, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

I have always used Flowmaster 40-series mufflers on my hot rods and muscle cars.

Has anyone put them on a Challenger yet?

I am tempted to hack the big muffler box out, weld in a set of Flowmasters, then hack out the resonators and weld in some pipe. I can do it myself, so it will not be expensive. That said, part of me wants to remove the entire system in-tact so I can put it back on someday if I ever wish to sell the car (or if I get old and cranky and want it to be quiet!). Flowmaster does not list a cat-back system for Challengers yet.

What have you guys done?
Old 12-26-2008, 02:39 PM

Default RE: Exhaust

This is not really answering your question, however I went with the Magnaflow cat back just a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to be able to put the stock back on should I ever decide to. Drone does not seem to be an issue. I went that direction due to cost. It was only $729 delivered to my door. Here's a small teaser video I had my girlfriend shoot today. Just a couple part throttle hits and a small burnout.

http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/g...tsidedrive.flv
Old 12-26-2008, 03:46 PM

10sec,
Does your system use rear resonators or no?
Old 12-26-2008, 04:03 PM

No....it's the Magna-pack competition kit.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:27 PM

I took delivery of my 2009 Challenger SRT automatic on Halloween day. Only thing I was disappointed in was the exhaust. Had a Magnaflow catback system installed 2 weeks later... and it was exactly what I was looking for (or should that be ... hearing for). It has the deep growl even at lower RPM that still lets folks know that there is a beast within. This system has mufflers and resonators and uses the old tips. Everyone has different preferences, but I am totally satisfied with the Magnaflows. Not overly annoying... Just right for my ears.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:27 PM

i love the stock exhaust on my SRT and I think that risking a warranty ( guy just got voided for a predator in palm beach) , for more "noise" is kina lame. The car is loud enough ...
Old 12-27-2008, 02:28 PM

Cat-back exhaust does not void the warranty.
While the SRT8 exhaust may be loud enough for you, my R/T definitely needs to "speak up" a bit.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:00 PM

Yeah...the cat back will not void the warranty. But in my case the next series of upgrades definitely will.

ORIGINAL: novawagonmaster

Cat-back exhaust does not void the warranty.
While the SRT8 exhaust may be loud enough for you, my R/T definitely needs to "speak up" a bit.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 PM

UPDATE:
As some of you may or may not know, the R/T 6-speed has a higher flowing exhaust than the auto. I was surprised to crawl under my car and not find the suitcase muffler up front. Instead, there are two very small mufflers. I am a Flowmaster kind of guy, so I cut the front two stock mufflers out and welded in a pair of Super 44's. Surprise number two. The car did not sound much different at all after this mod. The front factory mufflers are a straight through design. You can look right through...no baffles...almost like a small glasspack.

Since I am after more sound, I cut the rear resonators off and started up the engine. The music is now playing loud and clear! I ran out of time tonight (cut me some slack...I'm doing it myself on the ground... no lift at home), but all I have to do to finish the job is to make up a couple pieces of 2.5" pipe to go in place of the resonators so I can retain the stock square tips. After Everything is finished, I'll try to get a quick video posted so you all can hear how it sounds.

In closing, if you have an R/T 6-speed and want more noise, try ditching the rear resonators first. I am now curious to know what the front mufflers would have sounded like without the rear resonators in place!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 PM

I have heard the Magnaflow 44s in an SRT8 Challenger and they sound great. The comment that concerns me more is the one from Rudy about the person who got "voided for a predator". Wow, thast scares me. I just reprogrammed mine with a Predator. I can quickly reload the factory tune but I want to know more. Did the guy take it to the dealer without reloading the factory tune or what?

Quick Reply: Exhaust