Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Get Your HEMI While You Can!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Get Your HEMI While You Can!

im not too worried...this crap about fuel economy standards is just another reason for the govt to charge higher gas guzzler taxes. people will still buy V8 cars...just like they do now.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Not to be divergent from the pack, but a large reason to appreciate the Hemi was it's power relative to other engines of its day. With that said, its day, WAS in the 50's,60's, and 70's.

My loyalty and interest in the Hemi is to have a retro homage to the era and the reputation Mopar earned at dominating at the oval and the 1/4 mile. If they can produce a more potent offering with the same grunt, then innovation should be paramount to dictating direction not so much nostalgia. I think lessons can be learned from the tuners but melded with higher CID.

I like the sound of a V8 and many of us do, but you have to market to the masses if you're looking to produce revenue. I believe we are an ever waining minority as far as purchasers looking for a V8 with plenty of power and so what about the mileage.

I don't shudder at the thought of a V6 with enough innovation to give it the ability to compete V8's, I also don't believe the Hemi design can't/hasn't been bested for exacting the most power out of an engine. Hell, my dad's 440 six wasn't a Hemi but wasn't far away from it.....

400+ HP and 400+ ft/lbs trq is the objective not the shape of the head, right? If they can reliable squeeze this power out of a 6 w/ comprimizing the integrity of the engine, they owe it to the consuming masses.

Albeeno mentioned the power to CID ratio Ford is doing and that has to be respected and competed against not blinders and we have to build this type of engine, because at the end of the day when a little fart car smokes one our big bad 8's can we save face by saying, "Yeah, but mine's a Hemi!"?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Hemi and it was a good marketing idea to revive the glory days, but how about pay respect to those golden days, by (get ready for nauseating consultant speak) thinking outside the box and doing what they did back in those days which was to push technology to give themselves an edge and beat the competition through non linear thought and talented engineers.

OK, I'm getting acrophobic...I'm going to climb down from my soap box now.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 AM

evryone has a friggin' mustang. i would not buy a mustang (unless it's a 60's-70's) if my life depended on it.

all the poor college kids with rich mommies and daddies get the 05 or newer mustangs.

I'm not dissing the looks but everyone has one.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 AM

and next year everone will have a challenger , so what.... buy what you like
Old 01-23-2008, 11:14 AM

I have to respectfully disagree with your analysis. I am neither rich, nor in college and nobody is helping me pay for my `05 GT but me! Of course I'm just one person out of 160,411 other people who purchased a 2005 Ford Mustang (GT = 60,792 , V6 = 99,620). When I got mine in November 2005 the GTs weren't lasting on any dealer lots longer then 3-4 days before being sold. Hell, I even had to drive from Boston to Dayton, OH just to get the exact one I wanted.

One final thought - I wouldn't go trashing the Mustang either. If it weren't for the 2005-present model's success, the Challengers and Camaros of the world would still be resting comfortably six feet under while the Mustang galloped all over their grave.

I, for one, am anxiously awaiting the rebirth of the Challenger and Camaro. It's time for real American muscle to rule the streets again! If I can get my hands on some genuine MOPAR power at an affordable price, I will gladly trade in my GT. A wise man once said: "A change'll do ya good".

ORIGINAL: tdub2112

evryone has a friggin' mustang. i would not buy a mustang (unless it's a 60's-70's) if my life depended on it.

all the poor college kids with rich mommies and daddies get the 05 or newer mustangs.

I'm not dissing the looks but everyone has one.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:02 PM

Well I kind of feel the same about the mustangs. I damn near bought one (a grabber orange 07) but really, everyone has one. As far as everyone having a Challenger too. . . well as albeeno said, 160,000 mustangs in 2005 alone, and Dodge is saying 30,000 2009 model challengers. Even if they made that many every year for the life of the challenger, it'll still be outnumbered by mustangs 5:1. About 100:1 if u count older models.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM

Well, I am one of the new forum members on the wish to get a challenger that owns A Mustang GT convertible too (2006). For me, I just appreciate the muscle car era since I had a 1970 Charger and think that the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro are or will be great cars. For the price, the Mustang GT is not too bad compared to the price of a Challenger and I am getting between 17-18mpg in the city on regular gas too. After the hype died down on the mustang, I was able to get one close to invoice with a no-interest loan for 6 years.

I just dropped by the dodge dealership yesterday and was told the price will now be whatever fair-market value will bring after being told I was #4 on list and they weren't going to mark-up. Probably won't get one this year and may try for a Camaro next year. However, in my opinion, individuals who want to buy a Challenger for investment purposes only will be sorely disappointed as only the rarest cars get any type of huge premium 20-30 years later. When you consider the initial purchase price, cost of insurance and maintenance each year for the next 20-30 years you will probably do better keeping the initial purchase price in a CD. Plus, the only reason values are high right now is that not many individuals anticipated this bubble in muscle cars way back when as we drove them for fun and racked up the miles. When the crowd mentality believes it will be a great investment (today), it usually isn't. Time to get the whipple supercharger for the mustang unless a miracle happens with the challenger.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:07 AM

ORIGINAL: DamnSkippy

Not to be divergent from the pack, but a large reason to appreciate the Hemi was it's power relative to other engines of its day. With that said, its day, WAS in the 50's,60's, and 70's.

My loyalty and interest in the Hemi is to have a retro homage to the era and the reputation Mopar earned at dominating at the oval and the 1/4 mile. If they can produce a more potent offering with the same grunt, then innovation should be paramount to dictating direction not so much nostalgia. I think lessons can be learned from the tuners but melded with higher CID.

I like the sound of a V8 and many of us do, but you have to market to the masses if you're looking to produce revenue. I believe we are an ever waining minority as far as purchasers looking for a V8 with plenty of power and so what about the mileage.

I don't shudder at the thought of a V6 with enough innovation to give it the ability to compete V8's, I also don't believe the Hemi design can't/hasn't been bested for exacting the most power out of an engine. Hell, my dad's 440 six wasn't a Hemi but wasn't far away from it.....

400+ HP and 400+ ft/lbs trq is the objective not the shape of the head, right? If they can reliable squeeze this power out of a 6 w/ comprimizing the integrity of the engine, they owe it to the consuming masses.

Albeeno mentioned the power to CID ratio Ford is doing and that has to be respected and competed against not blinders and we have to build this type of engine, because at the end of the day when a little fart car smokes one our big bad 8's can we save face by saying, "Yeah, but mine's a Hemi!"?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Hemi and it was a good marketing idea to revive the glory days, but how about pay respect to those golden days, by (get ready for nauseating consultant speak) thinking outside the box and doing what they did back in those days which was to push technology to give themselves an edge and beat the competition through non linear thought and talented engineers.

OK, I'm getting acrophobic...I'm going to climb down from my soap box now.

I'm with you here. If Chrysler can come up with a V6 that can produce 400/400, then I'd be happy. The problem as I see it is that such a engine won't ever exist. The only 6 cylinder engines I know of that can do that are turbocharged. And the cars they're in are very expensive.

I think the Hemi is great like the next man, but I wouldn't mind seeing a technologically advanced smaller displacement V8 that gives us something like the best of both worlds. Maybe Chrysler would be more willing to do a supercharged V8 application, who knows.

All that said, I don't think the Hemi will be a one-year run for 2008 only. I'd be willing to bet it'll be around in 2009 and 2010 Challengers, but I guess it's gone at the end of the Challenger's run.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah I've posed the question in other threads, turbo-charging or supercharging V6's, the only problem I would have with that is my exposure to turbocharged vehicles is they tend to require TLC and more trips for service. Might not be the same for all cars and it could be completely a distorted view...but...it still blows me away they can tweak the horsepower they do out of a push rod, v8 w/ 350 cid's (in nascar) it seems like if they changed nascar to be 6's and let the car companies compete in that space also w/ some sort of a fuel limit to a race...you'd really see some innovation and exciting racing to boot.

Competition is what drove much of the innovation in the 60's that made it into the standard equipment on cars in the 80's, why they felt compelled to status quo it still mystifies.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:39 AM

I wouldn't care if they dropped to high performance V6's or dropped some horses off the V8's to make them more fuel efficient. American cars in general need to drop weight. There's no reason for a sports car to be over 3500lbs now a days.

Average weight of a sports car should be in the 2800-3250 range.

Quick Reply: Get Your HEMI While You Can!