Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

GM vs. DCX

Old 05-26-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM vs. DCX

BTW: Sorry about the hood scoop post. I looked but didn't see it below and realized later that it had already been discussed. Thanks for not beating me up about it also!!!

2008 Chevy Camaro vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger

I ask myself about this question because I am an x-gm guy. I owned a trans am and had nothing but problems with it and for some reason I still loved it. This all changed when I saw the Challenger. I new I wanted one and decided that I was going to become a DCX guy. So please bear with me as I learn the intracasies of the Dodge world. I like the fact that Dodge puts V8 in its cars and even though the Charger is 4 doors, the SRT8 is pretty sweet.

I am still pissed the the Camaro/Firebird line was pulled. Maybe if the 4th gen's didn't look like crap they would have sold a few. The new Camaro looks terrible to me. It is the worse retro of the 3 major American retro muscle cars. I can not see the 69 camaro in that car especially the back end. Same old gm I guess. So the answer is simple to me. I do not want to buy that car from gm. They should be ashamed of the gto. The look really embarrasses the company and the classic gto. No wonder they do not sell. Finally, i went to a new camaro concept forum and all the posts were about rustangs and kicking everyone elses ass on the street and I said that is not me, not that crowd.

I think that Dodge has a winner here.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: GM vs. DCX

Actually, this is a very good forum with a lot of knowledgable people and we all have good time and have the same passion.

Enjoy the forum.

I have a friend that has totally striped a Firebird..... 1969 I think and he just had the body sandblasted.

I hope to get some pictures of it so I can post them and how it progresses.

The other forum you discussed sounds like a Mustang group posing as a Camaro forum. Sounds like a trick forum to me.

Have a great time.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:32 PM

Yeah, I had the same delima as you with the Mustang I got. I really like the look of the S195(05+) and wanted a muscle car now, I couldn't wait to see if the challenger will come out, and when it does, when. I read on MF how people are and also seen it around. And was deterring me away from getting one. But then I believe it was someone on here who said, screw what the other people are like, get what you want and just don't accosiate yourself with the morons. So I went out and got it. I am happy with it too. And I stay clear of the "typical" mustang owner.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:59 AM

i ask meself the same question being a pretty hardcore mopar guy that also like chevys a lot also. i think both cars look great and i would probally be happy with either one, probally leaning a little towards the challenger. this will be the problem with the camaro vs challenger. price. i believe most likly the challenger will be more, maybe quite a bit, than the camaro or the mustang. if you dont want to believe that look at the rest os the SRT line, this will be the one everyone will want, they cant make one under 40k if its not a neon. whats the charger?? 39k, close enough. so youre looking at a R/T for probally 29-32k and an SRT model for around maybe 38-42K. wayy expensive, imo. im not saying that gm will not screw this up either they very well may, so i guess we will have to see. i would really like to s the R/T model around 25-27k, will it happen probally not. not with dodge not with chevy. its too bad because thses cars need to sell to stay alive. the mustange is doing fine because it prvides enough performance at the right price. they sell tons of cheap sporty 6 cylinders. the camaro and challenger need 6 cylinder models and all the models need to be within 500-1K of the mustange to have a chance.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

I have a relative that paid $32K for a 2006 Mustang. Granted it has a 1K watt sound system and he did pay
for the 7 year extended warranty. I think Mustang has it right in terms of pricing.

To expect the R/T version in the $25K-$27K is a little unrealistic.

I could see a V-6 version around that price range. In general, prices of cars have gone and muscle cars will
command a premium. If you want one you will have to pay the big bucks.

I am just trying to paint a realistic picture and not get your hopes up.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

thats ridiculous...techman has a brand new gt, and im sure that he paid NO where near 32 grand...an acquaintance of mine just bought an 06 GT, and he only paid 30,000 CDN...i dont know what the conversion rate is, but your relative needs to learn to haggle a bit, because he or she got taken...
Old 05-30-2006, 01:48 PM

trust me im not. and youre probally right, but i was just messing around on the ford site and priced out a mustang, just to see, the price was just under 27k, this was a gt. if the challenger is much over that a lot of people will just get a mustang and the car will die. yes they will porbally not get to that price point, but they should try as hard as they can to get it near it. most buyers just will see 3 muscle cars, sports cars, pony cars, whatever you want to call them. they will not see the difference between the mustang, camaro and the challenger. they mostly care about price and looks, performance comes second, everyone should know this by the abundance of 6 cylinder mustangs, chargers and magnums on the road. this will also be true with the v8 models. if the mustang is cheaper, probally by a lot, most people will just buy a mustang. it would be nice if they could get the price down in that range. they probally can if they want to. dont force leather, nav systems, six way adjustable seats and things like that on people. sure you can make them options, but make it so you dont have to get them with the R/T package. thats how you get the price down. sure make a 32k R/T, but also provide the ability to get one in that lower price range also, they will sell and the people that want all the fancy stuff can get that also. the car will live a lot longe that way. it seems companies are geting away from offering options on vehicles anymore. ive seen it with all the companies. you choose one option and 3 more come up that you have to get to get the one that you wanted, it pushes you into a different model that ends up being 4K more than the one you wanted.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

thats ridiculous...techman has a brand new gt, and im sure that he paid NO where near 32 grand...an acquaintance of mine just bought an 06 GT, and he only paid 30,000 CDN...i dont know what the conversion rate is, but your relative needs to learn to haggle a bit, because he or she got taken...
Well, I dont't know why it is I have to explain myself again regarding the price of this car but you are not the only one
that questions it. So here it goes. Look at the attached. The high end model is at the far right. So it is pretty loaded.

The price you are supposed to "haggle a bit" with is between the MSRP and amount the dealer paid to buy the car and both of those number
are in the far right hand columns. So for grins let's take an in between # of say $25K. Now let's add the options:

Antitheft $300.00
Exhaust Tips $120
Locking Nuts $50
Front airside bags $370
4 speed transmission $1K
18" Premium $825
Interior Accent $175
1K Watt Stereo System $1.2K I had mentioned this in my previous post

Options Total =$4040
Car = $25K

Subtotal $29,040.00

Now add Tax (8.25%) Title and License = approximately $2.5K

Then the additonal cost of the 7 year warranty which was approximately $1.2K I had also mentioned this in my previous post.

Total = $32,740.00USD for a nice black Mustang 300 V-8 HP engine.

So these are approximate but I think you get the gist.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/F0678A45069845F3914A6EAFFE8A1429.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-30-2006, 05:49 PM

im not sure i ever doubted you, im sure you could push a mustang that high, i just said the one i bulit on the site was just under 27K. if i were to get one, it had all the options that i would need.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

I think what happens is that we look at the largest cost and forget how all of the options add up and oh by the way there is TT & L.

I hate TT&L. I vote to get rid of TT&L. Let's tell our congressman to get rid of TT&L. LOL!

Quick Reply: GM vs. DCX