Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

HOW TO APPROACH DEALER

Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOW TO APPROACH DEALER

I have a dilema I could use some advice on. I bought my car in February for 10,000.00 over sticker with a 5000.00 non refundable deposit. The 5000 could be used on another car from the dealership but I am not interested in any others.
I think the car has lost value because:
A: They are now going to sell orange 2009's
B: The car will now arrive almost the same time as the 09's
C: I did not realize the car has an open rear end and the 09 will have a substantial upgrade
D: Gas prices have gone up substantially

My question is, should I let the dealer know now while I'm still in D status that I don't want it (at current price) and tell them if they can find a replacement buyer and give my money back I'll be happy. ( seems to me they have no incentive to do that) Or should I let everything play out till the car arrives. I would also be willing to use my deposit on an 09 at MSRP.
Can some of you sales people or dealers let me know what you think my most effective way to negotiate this would be
Old 06-03-2008, 10:39 AM

Default RE: HOW TO APPROACH DEALER

Give Neal (npeifer) a call unless you are getting the car from him.

You would be at a disadvantage if you got another car because they have your money and your sale.

ORIGINAL: GPMAN

I have a dilema I could use some advice on. I bought my car in February for 10,000.00 over sticker with a 5000.00 non refundable deposit. The 5000 could be used on another car from the dealership but I am not interested in any others.
C: I did not realize the car has an open rear end and the 09 will have a substantial upgrade

My question is, should I let the dealer know now while I'm still in D status that I don't want it (at current price) and tell them if they can find a replacement buyer and give my money back I'll be happy. ( seems to me they have no incentive to do that) Or should I let everything play out till the car arrives. I would also be willing to use my deposit on an 09 at MSRP.
Can some of you sales people or dealers let me know what you think my most effective way to negotiate this would be
Old 06-03-2008, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: GPMAN

Hmmm tough situation. I as a dealer would be willing to allow you to take the 2009 at MSRP as a replacement but it is up to them to make this call ? I kind of figured a few of these situations would arise.

To be completely honest with you I believe that with a little help from an attorney you could get all of your money back without even going to court. I know myself that i do not want the bad PR that would come with a situation like this especially when I would have one of the hottest cars on the planet to sell either way.

Do you have any friends that are lawyers ?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:27 PM

Oh wow.. that is a tough situation to be in. I wish you luck and keep us posted on what you decide to do and the outcome. Good luck bro!
Old 06-03-2008, 03:10 PM

Even if they won't give you the 5K back, if an 09 is what you want, you might just have to flush the deposit and move on. The car you want at MSRP + 5K gone is better than the car you didn't want at MSRP +10K markup.

On the other hand, keep in mind the rumor is that the Orange 09 may be limited production, to satisfy frustrated orders for 08's, and may disappear. So an 09 in Orange may be hard to get. Also the delivery date for the 09's is not definite...heck, pricing is not even announced yet. So to say the 08 will not be far ahead of the 09 in delivery is speculative.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 PM

thanks for the ideas. Yes, I do have an attorney friend but use him as last resort. I would be happy to have the 09 at MSRP but wondered if I had any leverage. Though the sales manager priced it high, they were up front with no games and put the car in my name right away. So I'm thinking that I should tell them now rather than later so that they have more options to sell it. And then I'll find out how nice they really are. It just occured to me some of us may have to wait 2 months more than others. Mine is 302088 and only recently went to D status
Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 AM

post it on ebay and see if someone wants your place in line for 10k. at least you would get your money back
Old 06-04-2008, 07:42 PM

I'm 99% sure that they have to give you your deposit back. I did on a 2005 GTO. It IS refundable despite what they will tell you. Simply go in and tell they you'll take it at MSRP or you'll take the full refund. Check your state's better business bureau or some other government source to know for sure before going in. Once you go in armed with the facts they will be much less likely to BS you. They were so nice to you in the beginning because they were making a FAT profit off you, not because they were such great guys.