Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

I found the weakness of the Challenger

Old 10-20-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found the weakness of the Challenger

I broke a halfshaft this morning driving to lunch. I was accelerating like a grandma would and heard a loud pop, driveshaft spins and the right halfshaft spins, but the car does not move. I am no longer planning any more performance upgrades.

I guess we know why the differential and halfshafts are upgraded for 2009 models.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:09 PM

Default RE: I found the weakness of the Challenger

Sorry to hear about your Challenger.
Question is...can those of us with 08s upgrade to 09 standards without having to replace the entire rearend? Anyone reseached the issue???
(You would think that Chrysler would have made the rearend a bit more billit proof considering the SRT has 425 HP and they knew owners were going to "step on it".......)
Old 10-20-2008, 12:13 PM

I made sure the service manager knew I was unhappy, especially because engineers know about it and upgraded the 2009.

The dealership emptied when the tow truck pulled into the dealership, just flat out embarrassing.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: choodock

I broke a halfshaft this morning driving to lunch. I was accelerating like a grandma would and heard a loud pop, driveshaft spins and the right halfshaft spins, but the car does not move. I am no longer planning any more performance upgrades.

I guess we know why the differential and halfshafts are upgraded for 2009 models.
Dang It!! Sorry to hear it choodock... Can you describe your driving habits... or have any wise words that might be helpful to others.

Seems I heard this was the weak link and there is a company that manufactures a recommended upgrade but I will have to research it. Anyone else know?

Old 10-20-2008, 12:22 PM

Sorry to hear about your luck but do give us the Paul Harvey. There are people here who drive their car like they are insane, no harm meant Andre, and have not any any such issues. Do you live in POTHOLE country or something?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: choodock

I made sure the service manager knew I was unhappy, especially because engineers know about it and upgraded the 2009.

The dealership emptied when the tow truck pulled into the dealership, just flat out embarrassing.

Not the kind of attention you want with a high profile car like the Challenger......
(Had to be towed once with my 70 Superbird many years ago.....oh boy did people look!)
Old 10-20-2008, 12:29 PM

Almost all of my mileage is on the highway, no potholes ever. I have gotten the car up to 165. I have a pic of me doing 161. I drive over 100 mph probably on a daily basis. I have NEVER stalled the car up and tried to launch it hard. I always ease into it, because I have heard the rear was the weak link. I have never raced it. I do however like to put it in first and slowly accelerate until about 3,000 rpms and then hammer it. This causes the rear to get loose and really, really impresses passengers. I would not say that I abuse the car, but I do drive it the way it was intended.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:43 PM

Here is what I had seen... was brought up on the SRT Chat last week... anyone have any details or experience with the Quaife setup?

Posted By: Rambit

I understand that the 09 300C, Challenger and Charger SRT-8s will come with a stock G648 Rear Axle with Limited Slip. I want Limited Slip. I have an 06 300C SRT-8.

1. If I order in the Challenger rear-end, will it drop right into our beloved older models?
2. Do the half shafts have to be changed as well or will the original SRT-8 axles fit?

Posted By: Team SRT

The new rear axle for 2009 Charger, 300 and Challenger will bolt into the cradle, but at a bare minimim the following will have to change also:

Halfshafts
Wheel bearings
Driveshaft

If all you want is a LSD. An easier way to go would be to buy the Quaife LSD for the axle you have.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:48 PM

How can you abuse a Street and Racing trim Challenger?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:49 PM

And you should be under warranty anyway ... i'm sure this isn't a known problem because if a lot of people have the same issue i'm sure dodge would do something...

Do you have a preadator or any other mods ? Or are you completley stock?

Quick Reply: I found the weakness of the Challenger