Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

I found the weakness of the Challenger

Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I found the weakness of the Challenger

If the 6 speeds were breaking the differentials or axles and my automatic just did as well, it seems Chryslers margin of safety was not very much.

What if this would have happened doing 140+?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:43 PM

Does this mean we have to start driving our Challengers like we'll from "Leisure World"...
Old 10-20-2008, 06:48 PM

Andre... Bro... seems I recall you mentioning something about the half-shaft being the weak link before. You must know something that must of us here don"t... what says you..??
Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 PM
mac

That's to bad about your car. I am sure they will take good care of you and replace with a 09 if it has been redesigned. I bet the 09 cars will still have a few bugs and by year 10, it should be good to go. Keep us posted on your chally and what the dealership does to make this right with you.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:43 PM

I was concerned with the halfshaft, but it should have held up to the mods choodock has.

Steve from RDP is flying in from Australia tomorrow. I know RDP has 3 options right now. 600HP, 1000HP and 1500HP. I will talk with him about costs and let you know what he says.

I posted about it being the last weak link about a month ago. Good memory Chris.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:36 AM

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

Parasitic loss through the torque converter of the stock transmission delivers about 10% less HP/Torque to the rear wheels than it"s manual counterpart...

right Andre...??
Mopar, you sound exactly like Mr. Weidemeir lecturing in auto shop class at North Des Moines High School. Especially if Andre was falling asleep in the back row.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:27 AM

guys as a person who has followed LX cars for years now this is a recurring and main problem with LX cars. The halfshafts are the first thing you should replace when you start modding your engine. Tons of chargers srt8s and 300s break their halfshafts the first or second time they go to the track with some new bolt ons. Go to youtube and search for broken srt 8 halfshafts, you will see videos of guys warmin up the tires right before they get ready to run and once the tires stop spinning and the car moves foward with the power the halfshafts snaps. This is the weakest link in all LX cars period...including the challenger. Do yourself a favor and get a 1000hp halfshaft before doing any extensive modding to your car.
Alot of challenger owners don't know this because this is their first lx xar or they just dont follow the charger forums ect. But trust me, I am one who has followed the LX forums and this is a must for anyone trying to push 400+ to the wheels.

just my 2 cents
Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 AM

pretty sad considering weve paid over 40g's for this car. if i have to start my mods with a stronger halfshaft in a car thats supposed to handle 167mph then somthing really is rotten in denmark!!!!! and if we do mod this car and the shaft breaks u know chrysler will balk!!!! this should be a recall as far as im concerned along with the upgraded diff! if this were the SE model it would be different, but its not, ITS THE FREAKIN SRT8 MAN !!!! LOL,vynle
Old 10-21-2008, 02:56 AM

it has been like this for years...and I feel the same way. Apparently the 09s have an upgraded halfshaft and lsd should hold up with minor mods. Once you get into the heavy duty stage , you will have to build up the rear end.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 AM

ORIGINAL: vynle

pretty sad considering weve paid over 40g's for this car. if i have to start my mods with a stronger halfshaft in a car thats supposed to handle 167mph then somthing really is rotten in denmark!!!!! and if we do mod this car and the shaft breaks u know chrysler will balk!!!! this should be a recall as far as im concerned along with the upgraded diff! if this were the SE model it would be different, but its not, ITS THE FREAKIN SRT8 MAN !!!! LOL,vynle
What's really sad is that it probably has exactly the same rear end as the SE.

Quick Reply: I found the weakness of the Challenger