Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Interior leg room

Old 09-24-2007, 06:48 PM
mac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Interior leg room

Oh one more thing, I grew up on chrysler products and we still have the 1967 dodge 1 ton truck at the farm with a 318. Also grew up with the 67 Plymouth 2 door Belvader (sic) and actually drove it in college until I wrecked it (sucks to be me). It also had a 318 which was one of the coldest blood engines I can remember. We also had a 72 Plymouth Valiant, slant 6 and a 72 Chrysler New Yorker with a 440 ( I think) engine. I know the New Yorker had a bid block engine and was in the 400's and my dad bought it used in 75 for dirt cheap during the OPEC crisis. Since we had a farm, we got the gas delivered and had priority. That New Yorker was a great car. So I have Chrysler blood in me but drifted away from the fold. Looking forward to buying American again. Never had a muscle care before and this will hopefully be my last one regarding the new Challenger. Born in 1964
Old 09-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Administrator

i believe that an ES300 is the same car as the camry? I know that with all of the camrys that ive driven, they did seem unusally cramped, especially compared to how the interior feels like a sedan...its as though the center console infringes on the leg room.

as for the BM..my 92 525i had more leg room than i could want...
Old 09-25-2007, 12:06 PM

Well, let's talk about the 05 and up Mustang. Leg room actually surprises me....in the front. I'm 6'0" and it has plenty of leg room. When you see people in there it looks very tight and cramped, but it really isn't. Now if we want to go to the back, forget it. I don't even know why they bother to put a back seat in there. I got back there to clean my windows and I swear I was in jail. My head touched the top of the roof, the only way I could sit in there was if my legs were open. I do hope that there is a little more room in the Challenger though I doubt it. I don't think coupes, muscle car or sports car and decent rear leg room really go hand in hand.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Who needs rear leg room in a coupe/muscle car? I didn't get my Mustangs, or plan on getting a Challenger to tote 4 people around. It'll be me, my wife for the night, and the 6.1 or 6.4. That's all I really need.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

I would site the stats on the leg room between the different cars; however, it appears that information must be flawed as KBB.com claims that there is more leg room in the Lexus than the BMW. Well, I guess when they are at the dealerships, go there and test drive one. Its the only way to be sure. I'm sure the Challenger will have sufficient room for your needs.

The point of bringing up rear leg room is more a point that in many coupes vs. sedans that they are related to, they move the seats back a little to provide the front seats with extra leg room since they are less likely to have rear passengers. That is why I brought it up.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-26-2007, 08:57 AM

Unfortunately I want my cake and eat it to. I know I won't be using the back seat all the time, at current time, but I'm also afraid that I will have to give up my love for sports cars and go over to a sedan when/if I start a family. The wife's car may be an option most of the time, but I know that won't be the case all the time and I'm a little worried about hauling two kids around if the need may arise, though to tell you the truth, I don't want kids in my Mustang so I'm not sure how I would want them in my Challenger. Especially babies. "Oh it cleans up." Says the wife. Yeah, that makes me feel better. lol.

One thing that does bug me though is the law and the child hooks. Really that much trouble with car seats and the way they have been all this time that the need to have child anchors required in all vehicles regardless of what it is? At least give me the option, all for the option for safety, but don't force it on me. They are definitely noticeable on the Mustang and I'm sure they will be on the Challenger unfortunately.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Hmmm...that can be a problem. Until I was about 2 and my brother was 5 I think, my mother had an Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe. She didn't seem to mind having a coupe, but she decided it would be more practical to have a family car. The thing I remember my parents doing to help prevent spills and messes is they used bath towels to cover the seats. Perhaps that could help. About the child seat thing, I don't know what to tell you there. I guess get a used family sedan that you could use to transport your kids.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-27-2007, 01:04 PM

Hopefully they will have the Yes essentials on this car. I was thinking that this was the most useless thing and that I would never use it, well, my wife decided to test it. She went to a restaurant and brought food and drinks back for the people she works for, spilled nothing, then she had something else in the back seat when her and I went somewhere and it spilled all over. Oh yeah, we went grocery shopping and a bottle broke. We cleaned up what we could with what we had, got home and cleaned up the rest of it. Came out no problem. That made me happy.

Yes, a used sedan. If I can afford it then that definitely would be an idea.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

So how does the Yes essentials differ? Does it not soak into the interior like normal fabric and just stay on the top like say water on wax?

There are a lot of used sedans you could get, it just depends on how old and how basic your willing to go. If you don't mind buying a model that is techincally reliable but a fleet favorite, you can get those pretty cheap used as they do not have any resale value to speak of.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 09-28-2007, 08:06 PM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

Hmmm...that can be a problem. Until I was about 2 and my brother was 5 I think, my mother had an Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe. She didn't seem to mind having a coupe, but she decided it would be more practical to have a family car. The thing I remember my parents doing to help prevent spills and messes is they used bath towels to cover the seats. Perhaps that could help. About the child seat thing, I don't know what to tell you there. I guess get a used family sedan that you could use to transport your kids.

It's funny that you mention how it was when you were young. Growing up, we had a sedan of some sort for a while. I can remember many a trip playing and sleeping on the back dash. After that we had a big van. We spent more time in the floor than on the seats. Now there are gonna be mandatory Car seat hooks in all cars........my how times have changed.

Quick Reply: Interior leg room