Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Intersting news.

Old 06-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intersting news.

So, while amanda and I were out and about today, we ran into an old friend at the WPC museum.

While admiring her, i spoke to someone who is "in the know"...now, keep in mind that i am as skeptical as anyone about what people say, but this person has asked that i do not mention who he is for the sake of his employment, but he is far above any dealership worker or parts supplier. He was fairly chatty, until I mentioned that I ran DodgeChallenger.com and DodgeForum.com, and he smiled and said "oh, you run dodge forum", then he was very chatty.

(If he is reading this, thanks for the discussion. Hopefully you dont mind my talking about this, but I had to share with the fellow enthusiasts.)

During the talk, I mentioned the Challenger shown in the car shows in So Cal, and I was asking about how they get away with driving the car on the streets. He told me that it is moved from shows to the trailer, but when it was shipped to california as part of a teaser marketing campaign, they drove the car about 75 miles, and hit a variety of car shows and events. He also said that even though it is not registered in any state, police never stop them or say anything, unless the cops just want to look. He also said that the mgmt is throwing around the idea of having a big debut for the Challenger at the 2006 Woodward Dream Cruise (for those of you not from the detroit area, Dodge always has a huge display at the WDC). He said that this "big debut" at the dream cruise may, and he emphasized "may" include the official announcement for production. We then asked him if he might have any pricing information. He told us that he wasnt sure, and until the car is in full production, its hard to guess at a price as there are alot of little things that alter the pricing from concept to production, but he did say that "they are shooting for a price similar to that of the Charger...you can expect the 3.5L and 5.7L to be roughly the same price as the Charger, and the 6.1L RT should be right around the price of the SRT-8 models".

While we were talking to him, a late model Camaro SS pulled out past us and jumped on it, and he laughed at it...thats when I asked him, how does she run" and his reply with a smile was "its quick...really quick"
Old 06-10-2006, 03:43 PM

Default RE: Intersting news.

Cool.... that's a much better scenario than the limited edition, overpriced dealer-gouging production run I was afraid of. Maybe the higher ups at DCX have learned something after all. Pricing it similar to the Chagnum will leave it affordable for the average car nut (like me!).
Old 06-10-2006, 04:25 PM

I just don't see it being Really Quick when I see 4160lbs!
Old 06-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Administrator

while i see your point, figure that the 6.1L has proven to dyno closer to 460 than to 425...so if you take the real horsepower, it gives you a lb per hp of around 9.04lbs per hp...a 2004 cobra (terminator) has a lb/hp of around 9.34, and thats a pretty quick car...

and some extra weight doesnt scare me any...almost EVERY car that i run against in the mirada is lighter...its just less strain on their trailers right after the race...
Old 06-10-2006, 05:55 PM

My mouth is watering... Thanks for the PICS & the great story. Did the guy you spoke to confirm/deny production for next year?

[8D]
Old 06-10-2006, 05:58 PM
Administrator

he didnt make any mention of a year of production, but he did make the comment about an "official announcement" being made at the WDC in mid august.

oddly, i didnt think to ask WHEN the car would come out, but there seemed to be no doubt the way that he talked.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:12 PM

Seems to be a foregone conclusion...just don't want to get my hopes up if it takes another year. Still planning on slipping one in my garage in '07.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator

im still making payments on my tortoise-like daily driver....so i can wait for a bit...plus, im not a "first run" guy...
Old 06-11-2006, 12:59 AM

Personally, I'm just glad they're talking about having a V-6 available. Unlike a lot of people, I have neither the money nor the space to have a weekend plaything. Any car I get has to be pressed into daily service, and I didn't relish the idea of $3-or-more-per-gallon gasoline being sucked up by a V-8 -- not to mention the insurance costs. I'm far more interested in the looks of the Challenger than getting one that runs hard.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Administrator

while i can see your point, and i agree that there needs to be a base model challenger, i really am curious to see what the take rate will be...the take rate of the v6 mustang is very high...i dont think that it would be the same as the stang.

i, however, am only worried about performance...

Quick Reply: Intersting news.