Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

just backed out of my 08 am I crazy

Old 02-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: just backed out of my 08 am I crazy

I'm with everyone here. I really don't see this as a limited edition model. I see it as setting people up for an inferior vehicle and calling it limited. There are always going to be upgrades to a car when it comes out later, but this one we know that it's going to be out right away. Chyrsler wanted to make money on this vehicle rather then sitting and waiting for the stuff that they knew they had coming out like the engine and possibly a better interior.

Chrysler has Ford which has a three year jump on them when it comes to this market. They have the Camaro that is coming out shortly after. If they delayed this vehicle any longer, then I'm sure that they would lose more aduience to the Camaro. They didn't want to take that risk so they figured in order to get the heavy hitters out there, the people with some money to put down, they would bring out a "limited" edition, when in all reality it's just a recycled parts car that is about to become obsolete. The transmission isn't ready, manual, the engine isn't ready, they needed more time so this was their answer to it. I don't see it as a bad thing since it's a business decision, but it's definitely not something I am falling for.

For the people that this car is right up their alley, I'm happy for them, but for me I can wait. Hard, but I can do it. The way I see it, the Mustang was out for a year and then I was able to turn around and use the discount program I have through my company, and Charger was out for a while and then they put it on the family/business program also so I know that I can wait for this car to go there also. It kind of makes me feel good to know that I'm driving around in a car that cost me 1% above, or below I forget, invoice while there are other people out there that couldn't wait and have paid $20,000+ above MSRP. No disrespect for anyone out there that has decided to do this.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:17 PM

the interior is horrendous...i think you made a correct decision...who would want a muscle car with an automatic anyhow..upteen dollars for a 2 dollar dash plaque is another expense out of your pocket..you made the right decision...wait a few months a get what you want without all the hype
Old 02-10-2008, 03:24 PM

I like the interior.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:31 PM

its horrendous..interior design is part of the reason chrysler is in serious trouble.would i pay 40K for that vehicle with a neon interior...well maybe because it is a challenger...the problem is will people who have no idea of the vehicles heritage..i highly doubt it...this car will not last unless it appeals to a very wide audiuence..at this time i say chrysler failed...
Old 02-10-2008, 03:57 PM

I respectfully disagree. I think car will be a huge seller. They're going after the Mustang market. The interior of a muscle car is typically pretty basic. It's basic, a lot like the Mustang. The car is not that expensive. If it was a Vet or a Viper, I'd say you were right on, but these cars are in the $30Ks ($42K top).
Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

I don't find the interior to be hideous by any means. It ain't a Bentley, but then again, it ain't a Bentley; it's a revisionist muscle car. Is it radically differently from a Charger? No, but they designed this Charger as a revisionist muscle car also, they just fudged up, threw some practical thinking in there in the form of two too many doors and no manual, and surprise, many resented it. Now, are you going to this car as bad due to a biased perception of the Charger? I don't know; I've read "I don't like it" but I'm not seeing a whole bunch of "why, I don't like it".

Not a dare, not a confrontation, an honest solicitation of "why"

its horrendous..interior design is part of the reason
what exactly is so horrendous about the interior ? I'm not going saying you're wrong, I'm just used to practical cars. I've ridden in Accura TL's, BMW's, Audis, Avalon's, Lexus's, Cadillacs, etc. I don't see anything particularly egregious about this interior.

With that inquiry put forward, I posted earlier today on Redletter and inquired from Nardelli and Press, is the interior on the Challenger what they wanted with improved interiors. Haven't heard back yet. Good thing I can type with my breath held.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:15 PM

You did what was right by you, that’s cool!
My personal thoughts though...not a good choice man!
But fellas...I thought this was a car club!!! Looks like I may need to hand out some diapers & pacifiers here! What’s with all the complaining? I remember when I purchased my first Mopar, '70 340 Duster, I spent months meticulously restoring it from the ground up due to all of the factory short comings at that time…I did the same thing with my ’70 RT 440 6-pack Challenger. Both of which are highly sought after collectibles right now (I kick my own a_s daily for selling them). Neither of them boasted a highly sophisticated factory interior, but we have to remember what this car was built for…suckin gas and goin fast! This new Challenger is unbelievably well built, exterior and interior are perfect. For those of you that are true muscle car enthusiasts, you will agree that the ’08 interior is far nicer than anything we would have expected back in the day! Perfectly simple while very functional.

Also, I am super pleased with the engineering behind this ’08 Challenger suspension and braking system. For those of you fellas that own or have owned a classic Mopar muscle car, you know the engineers had no forethought for future tweaking and modifying to maximize performance, this new system however is tweaked and also has left room for more tweaking to be done. As for the transmission…it really depends on what you are using the car for. Myself, I am a member of the SCCA and do love hitting the track on weekends when possible, here it is nice to have a good 6 speed. However, I am also a member of the NHRA, as we all know if you want consistent track times it is hard to beat a well built slightly modified automatic. I have personally used today’s new auto stick in both SCCA and NHRA applications and it performed beautifully in both. I am looking forward to pushing the limits of my new Challenger! The only short comings I can see at this point are for the guy who enjoys revving his engine while he pulls up to another poser.

‘08 versus ’09…I have never been a fan of purchasing any make or model vehicle during its first year out, I mean it makes sense that the manufacturer would make modifications and improvements during the 2nd or 3rd year. However, this is a different story all together. This is the first time we’ve seen this car built in 35 years; it’s a limited run of only 6400 units, top of the line model SRT8 with no corners cut here, all this for MSRP or MSPR plus some. ’09…You may get the same SRT8, few more color options, maybe a manual transmission (not that that is any better, personal preference) one of 30,000 or better for the same MSRP or even plus some as well. For those of you that are waiting for the RT, it’s really hard to compare the 08 SRT8 to the 09 RT, of course there will be a price difference here…it’s not the same car, apples and oranges! As for the V6…why bother!
I am beyond excited for the delivery of my new 08 Challenger; it’s been a long time coming!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:45 PM

03HDFB...

Couldn't have summed it up better myself... Right on brother! With ya all the way!

Cheers!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:25 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback on my decision and sorry about the 3 different messages. I was expierencing internet issues and I didn't realize that I posted the message multiple times. I'll continue to follow these discussions and I'll be ready when the 09 and 10's come out.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:06 PM

I think you are on the right track, They (Dodge), will always come out with new thing right after the first run, I know that for fact, I bought a Magnum Feb 05, and the SRT8 model came out right after that year, now I have like at least three Magnum SRT8s running around in my own town, Im like, Man! I should have waited!

I will never do that mistake again! Besides I cant get one now do to financial reasons...
But then again that might work out as a good thing after all, because the urge to get one of the first ones was really strong and I would have had a deposit on one and been waiting for another Automatic car! whooohooo.....
Im hoping to get one in the future with a 6 speed, and a color that I hope they offer!

I look at it this way, This first year is really much of a test run, For the buyers who really care about having the first run, so be it, But I bet all that goes spinning down the toilet when someone has had more color and transmission options, let alone if the 6.4 comes in for 2010!!!
Just think how a first run owners going to feel when you pull up beside in one that you chose the color and transmission And a bigger Hemi! Priceless!

Don't beat yourself up, I think you did the right thing, Im hoping more buyers will do the same after the R/Ts are revealed in March, (It might help put an end to this gouging &^$*) which is really bad in my area...

Quick Reply: just backed out of my 08 am I crazy