Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

lol @ the camaro forum

Old 07-17-2008, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lol @ the camaro forum

that tranny is trash and everyone knows it. why do you think everyone wants a manual. If it was a 6 speed auto or a better 5 speed I would be happy. I am just saying they could have gotten a better tranny for the auto. Dont put your auto up against me, I am not getting a stick, but put it up against a decent driver and say goodbye to your E-class slushbox.

Btw the hardon was because my gf was in front of me while I was typing sorry[sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 07-17-2008, 10:53 AM

“Its trash” means nothing. What exactly are its deficiencies? Yes, it’s always nice to have one more gear, but it’s mostly for highway fuel economy.

I do know that the A4 GTOs are generally slightly quicker than their M6 counterparts. Hard to say what the result would be with the Challenger until the M6 is out and tested. I’m sure it will be close either way, regardless of the driver.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:58 AM

GEARS...and the SHIFT points are slow. I love this car but I am not gonna sit here and say it is perfect. I enjoy discussing its positives and negatives. That is what a forum is for .

fyi I should make a sig saying: I'm buying a challenger so people know I'm not a troll lol.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 AM

Most people who want the manual want them because they are more fun (for most enthusiasts). The manuals used to be faster for street cars (leaving aside specialized drag racing autos) and usually still are. But autos can be equal, or occasionally faster now. A well driven manual is *usually* still faster.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:01 PM

Totally agree with you thor. plus alot of stick drivers aren't that great or just plain bad. example: my friend who redlines every gear.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 PM

I know a manual guy is a manual guy but Chrysler has stated that the automatic SRT8 Challenger will be faster then the manual. I didn't write it so don't shoot the messenger.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:30 PM

After 22 years in the transmission business I dont understand how you could call the 722.6 (W5A580) a "trash" transmission. We could have got stuck with the hemi truck 5-45rfe.
I own a transmission parts warehouse, and if I had to make a living off the 722.6 I would have starved long ago. The drivetrain loss is mainly in the converter, and only with the automatic transmission can you multiply your torque at launch (STR). The manual go's 1-1 with the clutch engaged. The modded converter will give me 2.2 times my torque off the line.
The manual is more fun, but the automatic is more consistent and the future of drag racing.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin2323

GEARS...and the SHIFT points are slow. I love this car but I am not gonna sit here and say it is perfect. I enjoy discussing its positives and negatives. That is what a forum is for .
Ummm...of course that is what a forum is for. Did someone question that?

Gears? Every transmission has them, but specifically what is the problem with the gears in the WA580? Shift points are normally referred to as either too low or too high...the actual shifts themselves might occur too slowly, so I'll assume that's what you mean.

These days, the shift quickness / firmness is largely controlled by the PCM. So most likely a tune could resolve any issues there.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:11 PM

Some article said that there's too large of a difference in size between two of the gears in the automatic transmission.
Any comments?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:26 PM

While the ratios are wide between 1-2, we have more then enough torque to turn that into a good thing.

The later stangs 80-up started with the AOD, progressed to the AODE, and now have a wide ratio 4r70w. You will find many AODE transmissions with the wide ratio upgrade.

Quick Reply: lol @ the camaro forum