Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Manual?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual?

Are the new challengers going to have a manual option, i know the one auctioned off was automatic? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Manual?

Surf our forum and you will be able to find out real quick.

Welcome aboard.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:15 PM

I know that the concept had one, but will the production have it? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:32 PM
mac

Like Jeremiah indicated, search through this forum to find really great info such as horsepower, possible weight, photos, prices, options, etc.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:53 AM

To save you some time, yes, it has been reported that the 2009 model will adopt the 6-speed manual.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:19 AM

Can you guys tell me what is good or fun about having a manual transmission?
I'm not a speed freak. I just want the Challenger because it's cool and I do like
the extra power, because cars with more power are more fun and accelerate
faster when you get on the freeway. Manual transmission seems to me more
trouble than it's worth. It's one more distraction and one more thing to
concentrate on while you drive, as if you don't already have a lot of stuff to
pay attention to while you're driving so that you won't die or kill someone. I'd
rather make my driving experience easier rather than harder (I've never driven a
manual tranny).
Old 01-17-2008, 04:42 AM

If you've never driven a manual transmission car, I wouldn't recommend you learn on a new car - especially one with high HP numbers (doesn't make it any easier).
Having a manual gives you more control and (I think) more road feel. You get more info from the stick than you do from the pedal on an automatic. Once you've mastered a manual transmission, it becomes second nature to you. It's not a distraction, or even something to concentrate on. It's part of the overall driving experience.

There are "pro's" and "con's" to both an automatic and a manual. I want to "drive" the car, and part of the "driving experience" - to me (especially in a muscle car) is manually shifting it.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Remember when you were a kid? And you used to make the noise of the muscle cars (or whatever the high performance cars were depending on your demo) would make as they passed by on the road? The waahhhhhh...mmmm.....waaahhhh...mmmm....wahhhhh... .mmmm...wahhhhh (engine reving, clutch, engine reving) sound.......

That's the sound of fast, that's what I, personally equate to fast,

I mean you could take convenience analogy to the next level...and realistically...the fly by wire w/ a joystick in the console between to the two front passenger seats....forward faster, rear slower, backward reverse, left,right, etc....

I like stirring the box, dropping the clutch, it feels like I am doing something.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:53 AM

I would agree with the comments above. If you are looking for a simple fun driving experience, then the auto is for you. If you want to race (drag or road racing), the the manual is for you.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:26 AM

The one good thing is that if you've never driven manual and only driven automatic, you don't know how much fun you're missing out on. Here's my pro/con list for manual transmission cars...

Pros:
Cheaper (auto as an option adds to the list price)
Better fuel economy (unless you're a leadfoot)
Keeps you engaged and safer (even though it's another thing to pay attention to, it keeps you from turning your brain off while driving, which a lot of people do. try using a handheld cell phone while driving stick)
Much more satisfying driving experience (you're not at the whim of a computer deciding what gear is appropriate)
Makes the car slightly lighter (not noticeable, but autos are heavier)
Women seem to like it (or so my wife says)

Cons:
Aggravating as hell in a very hilly area (like San Francisco)
Probably not a good idea if you're constantly in stop n' go traffic (unless you have a strong left leg)
Makes it harder to loan your car to someone (wait, that's a pro, isn't it)
May make your car a little more difficult to sell (since most people can't drive stick)

Quick Reply: Manual?