Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Manual?

Old 01-17-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Manual?

To give auto's their due:
They used to be horrible, power sucking scourges that stole power and efficiency, and charged you extra for doing it. Modern automatics are technologically excellent, and short of a race environment, can come close enough to a manual's performance in most cases. If you're a bracket racer at the dragstrip, the consistency of the automatic is your best friend. As several have mentioned here (I'm lazy and not looking up specifics) some auto versions of new cars are even faster than their manual counterparts.

BUT... for an enthusiast who wants to be involved in the driving experience, there is no substitute for a manual. You have a much more direct interaction with the car and the engine in particular when you shift the gears yourself. You learn where in the RPM range it's "happy" and making power vs. too low and lugging it, or too high and it's running out of breath at the top end. It makes you think about what speed you are going when you are slowing down or accelerating so that you choose the proper gear. You know instinctively what (approximate) speed you are going based on RPM and what gear you are in.

To use an analogy, it's kind of like traction control. Unless you're an amazing driver, you're not really going to be faster around a corner with it turned off, but some people just like to be able to catch their own slides. It's the feeling of control, and the excercise of skill that makes driving fun. Same thing for a manual. The performance advantage is much smaller than it used to be, but the driving experience is still much better.

No hating to those who like autos better. It's OK to like a car just because it looks cool and has lots of power. If that's what matters, just get the auto. But if you fancy yourself a car junkie, you owe it to yourself to at least learn to drive stick.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 PM

And then those of us who can only afford the V6 and have to settle for it just looking cool and having a decent amount of power. :P
Old 01-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

If you've never driven a manual transmission car, I wouldn't recommend you learn on a new car - especially one with high HP numbers (doesn't make it any easier).
Having a manual gives you more control and (I think) more road feel. You get more info from the stick than you do from the pedal on an automatic. Once you've mastered a manual transmission, it becomes second nature to you. It's not a distraction, or even something to concentrate on. It's part of the overall driving experience.

There are "pro's" and "con's" to both an automatic and a manual. I want to "drive" the car, and part of the "driving experience" - to me (especially in a muscle car) is manually shifting it.
BootCamp, I couldn't have said it better my self.

Here's my pro/con list for manual transmission cars...

Pros:
Cheaper (auto as an option adds to the list price)
Better fuel economy (unless you're a leadfoot)
Keeps you engaged and safer (even though it's another thing to pay attention to, it keeps you from turning your brain off while driving, which a lot of people do. try using a handheld cell phone while driving stick)
Much more satisfying driving experience (you're not at the whim of a computer deciding what gear is appropriate)
Makes the car slightly lighter (not noticeable, but autos are heavier)
Women seem to like it (or so my wife says)

Cons:
Aggravating as hell in a very hilly area (like San Francisco)
Probably not a good idea if you're constantly in stop n' go traffic (unless you have a strong left leg)
Makes it harder to loan your car to someone (wait, that's a pro, isn't it)
May make your car a little more difficult to sell (since most people can't drive stick)
Chris, that is a very good summary. I would also like to add that having a manual also enables you experience the road handling capablities better but if you have not driven a high performance car 500+ HP before I would suggest taking lessons. This car can get you in real trouble fast if you are not used to it. There are many high performance classes that teach car handling techniques.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:09 PM

OK, BootCamp answered this thread perfectly, I think, a few messages above. But that's not going to stop me from throwing in my two cents, so...

Here's a devil's advocate view of Chris' Pro list:

Pros:
Cheaper (auto as an option adds to the list price)
Yes.

Better fuel economy (unless you're a leadfoot)
Not always. My backup car (if I NEED a car before I can afford a Challenger) is an Eclipse GT. The Auto is rated higher MPG on that one. If some of the new tech of the 5.7 is only available to the auto then the Challenger could be similar.

Keeps you engaged and safer (even though it's another thing to pay attention to, it keeps you from turning your brain off while driving, which a lot of people do. try using a handheld cell phone while driving stick)
THAT'S exactly what I'm afraid of! Some people WILL try using a phone with a stick. As for me, I've eaten many a fast food meal on my way to class while driving a stick and I admit it isn't very safe!

Much more satisfying driving experience (you're not at the whim of a computer deciding what gear is appropriate)
Agreed, except for heavy traffic.

Makes the car slightly lighter (not noticeable, but autos are heavier)
Yes.

Women seem to like it (or so my wife says)
Unless your wife can't drive a stick and needs to borrow the car on occasion. OK, maybe that's a Pro after all!

One other point - Many of the Pros of driving a stick can be approximated with the Auto-Stick that most auto cars have now. I know it's not the same, but if you don't want the traffic hassle of a manual daily driver but still want an occasional thrill the Auto-Stick can be fun.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris

Cons:
Aggravating as hell in a very hilly area (like San Francisco)
The Hill Start Assist feature will help in those situations...
Old 01-18-2008, 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Billionaire

Can you guys tell me what is good or fun about having a manual transmission?
I'm not a speed freak. I just want the Challenger because it's cool and I do like
the extra power, because cars with more power are more fun and accelerate
faster when you get on the freeway. Manual transmission seems to me more
trouble than it's worth. It's one more distraction and one more thing to
concentrate on while you drive, as if you don't already have a lot of stuff to
pay attention to while you're driving so that you won't die or kill someone. I'd
rather make my driving experience easier rather than harder (I've never driven a
manual tranny).
Sheesh,,,,kids today. I have fond memories of shifting, smokin a butt, and holding a beer at the same time. Not to mention changing tapes in the deck (8 track and cassette!).
Old 01-18-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manual for me. All the cars I own are manual, except my GTX. I will not change the GTX over to a manual because I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. My Conquest TSI is 5-speed manual as is my Stealth R/T. I am in the process of changing my 70 Challenger over to a kiesler 5-speed. I like to drive my cars and I have bumper to bumper driving every day. Its my choice and I want it to be manual. But for those who want automatics, thats cool too and they have made them better than ever and they rob less HP to boot. I feel I have more control of the car with the stick and I love to swap gears. The sound and the feel are just too cool.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:24 PM

Was that before you put it in the ditch & had to call your Dad to come tow you out?

[8D]
Old 01-18-2008, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: awsure

Was that before you put it in the ditch & had to call your Dad to come tow you out?

[8D]
Things were different when we were kids. The LAST thing you wanted to see was your DAD in a situation like that.

My Uncle was a cop for 25 years. If a kid got into mischief, and my Uncle knew the kid's family, the kid didn't get arrested - he was released to the custody of his Father. There was NO fate worse than that! This saved a lot of taxpayers' money (unnecessary litigation through the legal process), and left a much more LASTING impression on the offender.
Of course, there were occasions that we "walked funny" for a few weeks after we'd done something stupid and "parental justice" had been administered. []
Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 AM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

The LAST thing you wanted to see was your DAD in a situation like that.

Truer words were never spoken.

Quick Reply: Manual?