Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Pictures should be on the way!

Old 02-23-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pictures should be on the way!

water water everywhere and not a drop to drink...i had a shaker on the old boss 302 and everthime it rained guess where the water went..as far as a 5-10% power increase..no way..seat of the pants increase is about all you felt..i never felt a 15-30 horesepower increase with ram air...there is a 1000% increase in locating chicks for rides...chicks dug that shaker set-up...
Old 02-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: awsure

Ummmm...their are no cool butterflys that flip open when you step on it right? That is my definition of "functional"...that was a sweet little addition that will be missed.
Awsure, help me understand your philosophy. I read your definition of "functional". So what good does it do if it opens but no performance increase.

If you just want a cool factor you could just a easily add LED's coming on when you punch the gas.

I am really just trying to understand your thoughts.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: snooter

water water everywhere and not a drop to drink...i had a shaker on the old boss 302 and everthime it rained guess where the water went..as far as a 5-10% power increase..no way..seat of the pants increase is about all you felt..i never felt a 15-30 horesepower increase with ram air...there is a 1000% increase in locating chicks for rides...chicks dug that shaker set-up...

A few comments:

1. That was old technology. You can design them where no water gets in these days.

2. You need a dyno to measure 5-10%. You cannot measure it with a seat of the pants feeling.

3. I am not sure where 15-30% came from and so I can agree with it.

4. As for as the ladies are concerned, if the ladies are just looking at my shaker setup and not me then those are not the ladies I am looking for.
They can go date somebodies elses car.

BTW- the term "chicks" that you use has a condescending tone and if you used that in front of them they probably would not like it. Let's stay away from that one on this forum.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: snooter

I had a shaker hood on my 1971 'Cuda and had no problems with water. When it rained, I simply pulled on an under the dash control which closed a flap behind the grill of the air scoop and opened another flap under the hood (around the base od the air filter assembly). It added about a 5% increase in hp at the drag strip. On the street there was no real gain except in the looks department where drivers would do double takes at traffic lights watching that shaker move!

Here is a bit of trivia. What was the official abbreviation/name of the shaker?

i.e.q.c.a.g.

The "incredible exposed quivering cold air grabber."
Old 02-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a bit of trivia. What was the official abbreviation/name of the shaker?

i.e.q.c.a.g.

That is certainly a new one on me. What company came up with that one.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

i.e.q.c.a.g.

That is certainly a new one on me. What company came up with that one.
Mopar... back in the day.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:17 PM

Thanks for your review of the car, deranged.
I hope to see it and get some pics when it's in the area for the spring ENYCAR Auto Show. I'll post anything I get in April.
Hopefully, I'll "have it bad" then too. Aw, truth be told, I already do.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 AM

in reference to "chick"..im sorry you feel that way...im sorry you feel "chick" is not politically correct...there are far worse derogatory words out there and who made you the word police?...as far as "seat of the pants"..thats a metaphore..nothing more or less is implied..
Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 AM

As I understand it (correct me if I am wrong) placing an opening in the hood that far back does not really bring much air in so the butterflys were basically a cosmetic feature. So, to answer your question in that context I thought they looked cool. By functional I meant they move as opposed to not moving but I see where you are coming from by defining functional as actually performing an action that contributes to performance.

If I could have both form and function that would be fun.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

The hood scoops could work if they were a little tallker in the high pressure zone and if they funneled the air to the throttle body, but the 2008 Challenger does neither.

Oh well, maybe in 2009.5. Let's hope.

Quick Reply: Pictures should be on the way!