Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Pictures should be on the way!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pictures should be on the way!

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

ORIGINAL: deranged

The intakes just dump outside air into the engine bay towards the rear of the heads from what I could tell. They are not connected to the induction system in any way. I think they are there only to help push heated air from under the hood. However if I was seeing things correctly there is a rather large opening on the radiator support behind the grill towards the drivers side that corresponds to the location of where the front of the air box would be located behind the radiator support. This would place the opening directly in the air blast through the grill of the car. Effectively ram-air. Again this being if I was seeing everything and their relation to each other correctly which I'm pretty sure I was. I was trying to catch every detail believe me. There was some distance between me and the car though but I think I'm right about this. I would not try giving people false hopes and speculation. These are honest assessments of what I saw. I'm not just wishful thinking here.
Forgive me for being skeptical, but I don't think it will be a full ram-air. It will help with the heat management I'm sure, but I'll help much beyond that. I'm partly skeptical after being burned a few times. The thing is the Viper has the intake with the dual cone air-intakes in the front to receive air through the hole in the hood. The Trans-Am had the system right on top of the radiator that was quite obvious. After what they did with the LX cars and that they called that a functional air scoop, I will believe it when I hear the press recognize it as being real. Also, if it is functional then can you explain why the output hasn't increased?
I guess I wasn't clear enough in my description. The 1" by 3" openings under the hood are in no way connected to the intake of the engine. All they do is introduce outside air from the scoops into the engine bay towards the rear of the heads. The ram air (effect) I spoke of would be coming through the grill towards the air box opening I described.

I realize that todays cars would never be produced with a true ram air as the manufacturers take into consideration induction system noise when managing sounds to get rid of unwanted noise that many buyers (not us) would find objectionable. That is why many cars come with resonators on the induction systems these days. I'm quite sure that if the air box on the Challenger is in the direct airblast coming through the grill it will still be baffled to eliminate or reduce induction system noise. This is the closest thing to actual ram air that you will probably see on a modern production vehicle. Again this is if I was seeing things correctly.