Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

RLD Announces 2009 Challenger reveal simulcast w/ links

Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RLD Announces 2009 Challenger reveal simulcast w/ links

Started late.

Most discussion on turning around Chrysler. Commitment to customer, employees, suppliers, investors.

Questions touched on manual transmission availability - They said to be ready with checkbook for unveiling later on today.

Eric
Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 AM

sounds like there ready
Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 AM

I sure am glad to hear the manual willl be put in challengers!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 AM

yes it states on that the manual will have 5 more hp than the automatic but will not get as good gas mileage due to the fact the manual will not have MDS
Old 03-19-2008, 07:21 AM

ORIGINAL: JJMPB

yes it states that the manual will have 5 more hp than the automatic but will not get as good gas mileage due to the fact the manual will not have MDS
I'm glad you mentioned that, JJMPB, 'cause I got a question for one of you tech heads. I was under the impression that MDS helps MPG at highway cruising speeds by shutting down cylinders. I would expect the MPG numbers for MDS to be better on the highway, but not necessarily in the city. Yet, the numbers published show the manual vs. auto as the same on the highway and the auto with MDS as better in the city. I would have thought it would be the other way around.

Can anybody explain - in simple terms for my simple mind - where I missed the boat?

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

First of all, stop using that site, we have the information right here in the Challenger-in-the-Press section from real, official sources.

Now I'd be happy to explain that. The gearing of the transmission for the manual can compensate for the MDS on the highway driving by using taller gearing as the automatic's overdrive is pretty short and makes it run at a higher RPM while cruising makes it use more fuel as opposed to the manual having a taller overdrive top overdrive to cut back on the RPM level and burn less fuel. The issue with it using more fuel in the city is most likely explained by the fact that when these tests are done, they are being driven with points of cruising and deceleration when the engine does not need full power and has the MDS engaged. Also some acceleration can be done while in MDS mode if it is done conservatively, which will save fuel. Also at moments of idling, it won't burn as much fuel if only 4 cylinders are engages as opposed to 8. That is why having the MDS, it will save fuel in the city.

Does this help?

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Yes, thanks RLSH700! That helps a lot. The manual keeps up with the MDS advantage on the highway with a taller overdrive and lower RPMs.

Now, for me, that adds another element to the equation. One of my concerns about the car was cruising noise. The biggest engine I've ever had in a car was my wife's '93 Firebird Formula. It was a 5.7 with plenty of power, but at highway cruising speeds on long trips I'd come away feeling a bit deaf. In day to day driving I didn't notice it, but trapped in the car for hours at a time the drone was uncomfortably loud. The manual Challenger might be nice to have on long trips if the taller overdrive keeps the RPMs down and the cabin quieter.

Hmmm, something new to consider...

Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

You're welcome. I'm happy to help. I have a little good news, bad news for you on this though. The 1993 Formula from what I understand used the T-56 Tremec which is the original variation of the same 6-speed being used in the Challenger and GM tends to use taller gearing in their transmissions than what Chrysler does so I'm not sure if that will resolve the issue from that standpoint. The good news is that I'm sure the Challenger has more sound deadening materials in it than your Firebird and the Hemi is most likely more refined than the 350/5.7L engine, so I doubt you will have as many problems with this engine. If it is anything like the 300C/Charger R/Ts I have driven, I doubt it will be an issue (plus I would tend to think that the VCT addition would help it a bit in the refinement department).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 03-19-2008, 08:49 PM

Ours was an automatic, and I believe a four-speed, at that. So that six speed manual should be a lot smoother at highway speeds!

I'm with you - sixteen years of automotive refinement should mean a more sophisticated ride!

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get the manual. The Firebird was the wife's car and had to be auto. This one's gonna be all mine!

Just don't tell her I said that! [sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 03-20-2008, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

Better rent a car to teach her how to drive manual. 'Cause you know she's gonna want to drive it; and I'd hate for a Challenger to be the platform of education for learning a standard transmission! ouch! X-|