Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Spy Photo!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spy Photo!

Oh and serious paint problems which I understand happened on practically all 94 intrepids. If you ever see one driving around I guarantee it'll have paint missing.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

I just want to add another two cents worth - I apologize in advance and certainly don't mean to offend any MOPAR enthusiasts here, but as I have stated all along, I've only owned Blue Oval in my car buying career. I can't wait to change that next year, truth be told.

Anyway, my understanding has always been that Dodge has had an infamous reputation when it comes to the interior quality (or lack thereof) and reliability in most, if not all, of their models. It might not be true and I'm sure there will be numerous examples to follow trying to convince me otherwise. But this is what I have always heard and been lead to believe. Not that Ford is the best or anything like that, trust me! However, that infamous reputation has played a large part in me never buying one. I, as much as the next guy, truly hope they hit a homerun with the Challenger. I honestly believe they can and they will.
As you predicted, Albeeno, here's an example to the contrary.

Of the eight new cars I've bought for myself in my driving lifetime, the worst interior was a Ford and the four best were all Dodges. In 1979, I bought a new Ford Mustang Turbo Cobra. Not a simple off-the-rack Mustang, but the top-of-the-line model for the era. It had a hideous bright red vinyl interior. In 1987, I bought a new Dodge Daytona Shelby Z with the best interior I've ever had. Maroon leather in a black car.

I agree there's more important things in a muscle car than the interior quality, but it can make or break a purchasing decision. In 1993 I walked away from a Camaro because the interior looked and felt like it was designed by Rubbermaid. I wound up buying a Firebird Formula, which wasn't a lot better but my wife didn't want leather, so I had to stay downscale.

All I want from an interior is comfortable, supportive seats; a dash and door panels that don't feel like Roughneck garbage cans; and a dash display that looks like it belongs in a sports car. Anything more than that is gravy!

I loved the concept interior. I hope they don't screw it up.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 AM

I kind of feel but this is my oppionon. People are looseing sight of the old school true muscle cars. They were not flashy, comfortable or take corners well. They were stripped down, rough riding but fast as H@LL from piont "A" to piont "B" no stopping or corners inbetween. Like he said if you are buying the Chally for the stereo or all the party mods and flash buy a Callaber SRT-4, Import or Caddy. As far as I am conserned they can keep all the opptions and power stuff. My arm isn't broke I can turn a crank or push a lock down, I never had a stereo in any of my muscle cars because the engine rumble is music to me. Living in AZ just give me A/C lol Put the $ spent on flash into a beasty drive train instead thank you DODGE.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 AM

Well the old challengers weren't 40k either. I'd like a safe, comfortable, good looking car (caliber is NOT good looking). There is no reason with all the current advances that Dodge can't make a nice interior in their best looking car.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 AM

Yea, but who can get one for $40K? No one!![:@]

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

Well the old challengers weren't 40k either. I'd like a safe, comfortable, good looking car (caliber is NOT good looking). There is no reason with all the current advances that Dodge can't make a nice interior in their best looking car.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:47 AM

I liked the remark about the roughneck garbage cans. Thats exactly what i was thinking. Listen i'm not expecting a caddy interior with burl walnut and leather dash. I simply want good plastic, not the cheapo stuff i have seen lately. That i know can be done w/o busting the budget. Still though, i am buying it for performance/styleing mostly so i'm gonna be good with it overall.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: WhiteHeat

ORIGINAL: cncpt2prod!

Dodge doesn't enjoy anything close the profit margins Acura does. If they popped in an upgraded semi-sporty/semi-luxury interior, the car would cost about $4K more, putting it well out of the range of the Mustang buyers. But I agree, they should do some slight modifications to give it some uniqueness, some sporty comfort...they got to be able to do at least that for $500 more [&:]!!
OK, so if the Acura has a higher profit margin, then the cost of materials as a percentage of MSRP should be higher in the Challenger, right?

Yeah, I know I'm over-simplifying.

Anyways, I'm with you. I'd spend an extra $500 for better interior. Some cars charge extra for particular paint colors so why not an upcharge for interior material upgrades? Seems like that happened back-in-the-day. Nowadays it seems the only interior upgrade is to leather or not to leather.

I guess I meant Acura has more wiggle room to provide a better interior quality (but I'm sure it's full of complications). And yes, seems they stopped short and just matched the Charger interior when they should have done a little more. I wonder what more they could do to the dash for $500?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:50 PM

I love the exterior of the new Challenger and I've waited for this car for 35 years. I swear I will not buy this car if its interior mirrors the so called Charger and that is the bottom line.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Again, wouldn't be fun if they offered an econo power 8 like the RoadRunner or SuperBee, a large CID 8 short on amenities long on stump pulling torque and tire hazing horses...

Bring it in the high 20's compete where Camaro was after everyone else left the market....they were a bargain in the 90's 6sp, 320 hp for under 30....and not bad looking to boot.....

Surely, innovative Chrysler could figure out a way to do this........

Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

To this point, they could rework the Avenger, shoe horn a 318 engine into it and rear wheel mod on to it and sell it for under 30. Now we're talking!

Quick Reply: Spy Photo!