Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

SRT or R/T?

Old 03-22-2008, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SRT or R/T?

As I stated before, I was on the fence about buying a 2009 SRT or R/T. Besides all of the reasons that I previously stated to buy an R/T over an SRT, here is the clincher for me:

With a $10,000 down payment, the monthly payment for the R/T will be $474 and the SRT $638 (over 60 months), based on the base cost of an R/T Charger ($31,455) and SRT Charger ($39,155)-Challenger pricing should be similar.

Edmunds has a great financing calculator. See for yourself:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/calc/Cal...ion=intro_calc
Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I was thinking R/T almost exclusively from the start. BUT....
now that I look at how much more you get with the SRT (premium suspension, better interior, better exhaust system, 180mph speedo, more standard equipment, better upgrades, etc.), and considering the minimal difference in price once the R/T is similarly equipped, I'm leaning much more toward the SRT now.
Both will require premium fuel, so the fuel savings cost difference that was there before is virtually gone now. The car HAS to have a manual for me to buy it, and neither the 5.7L or the 6.1L are offered with MDS on the manual...... Where's the allure of economy with the R/T now? I'm further betting that the R/T will have "some" sort of gas guzzler tax on it as well since the base mileage is improved by 7%, but loses the 20% benefit of MDS, setting it closer to the SRT overall.
Even if the original buyer has little/no intention of getting a Challenger as a collector's item, someone further down the line will wish it were bought and treated that way.

Look at the differences in price between the 1970 Challenger R/T with the 426 HEMI 4 speed, and the 383 magnum 4 speed. While both are VERY stout performers, highly prized by collectors, and probably wouldn't be used to their originally intended potential, the 426 HEMI is THE collectors' piece and commands a (substantial) premium at auction.
In retrospect, the difference in purchase price between the 1970 Challenger R/T with the 426 HEMI wasn't much more (in today's dollars) than the 383 Magnum or the 440 six-pack, for that fact. At the time, it was substantial, but not now. And the difference in "value" now far exceeds (in percentage) the difference when new.

Yeah, I'm thinking SRT now - keeping it stock until it's paid off. Then maybe I'll put some chrome valve covers and engine dress up pieces on it (braided stainless steel lines, anodized couplers, etc...). But this is going to be something I have and keep until I'm worm food and HAVE to pass on to the kids. I want to get in, turn the key (without bloody knuckles), and drive as-is and have a blast doing it. I'm thinking it's gonna be an '09 SRT now.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Billionaire

Didn't I read on this board that the 2008 SRT8 doesn't have a carbon fiber hood, just carbon fiber "look" decals?
I think the concept car had a real carbon fiber hood.
Actually the whole car was carbon fiber.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

Actually, I was thinking R/T almost exclusively from the start. BUT....
now that I look at how much more you get with the SRT (premium suspension, better interior, better exhaust system, 180mph speedo, more standard equipment, better upgrades, etc.), and considering the minimal difference in price once the R/T is similarly equipped, I'm leaning much more toward the SRT now.
Both will require premium fuel, so the fuel savings cost difference that was there before is virtually gone now. The car HAS to have a manual for me to buy it, and neither the 5.7L or the 6.1L are offered with MDS on the manual...... Where's the allure of economy with the R/T now? I'm further betting that the R/T will have "some" sort of gas guzzler tax on it as well since the base mileage is improved by 7%, but loses the 20% benefit of MDS, setting it closer to the SRT overall.
Even if the original buyer has little/no intention of getting a Challenger as a collector's item, someone further down the line will wish it were bought and treated that way.

Look at the differences in price between the 1970 Challenger R/T with the 426 HEMI 4 speed, and the 383 magnum 4 speed. While both are VERY stout performers, highly prized by collectors, and probably wouldn't be used to their originally intended potential, the 426 HEMI is THE collectors' piece and commands a (substantial) premium at auction.
In retrospect, the difference in purchase price between the 1970 Challenger R/T with the 426 HEMI wasn't much more (in today's dollars) than the 383 Magnum or the 440 six-pack, for that fact. At the time, it was substantial, but not now. And the difference in "value" now far exceeds (in percentage) the difference when new.

Yeah, I'm thinking SRT now - keeping it stock until it's paid off. Then maybe I'll put some chrome valve covers and engine dress up pieces on it (braided stainless steel lines, anodized couplers, etc...). But this is going to be something I have and keep until I'm worm food and HAVE to pass on to the kids. I want to get in, turn the key (without bloody knuckles), and drive as-is and have a blast doing it. I'm thinking it's gonna be an '09 SRT now.
Very well said and I will probably do the same except I will probably dress it up and performance enhance it before I pay it off.

FYI - The R/T comes with dual pistons in the front and a single in the rear where the SRT is 4 piston all the way around and therefore stops faster.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:19 AM

The mileage figures posted for the 2009 Challenger are as follows:

3.5L= 18/25 mpg

5.7L (Auto)= 16/23 mpg

5.7L (Manual)= 15/23 mpg

6.1L (Auto)= 13/18 mpg (This is for the Dodge Charger. Have not yet seen the Challenger mileage posted).

The bottom line is that the 6.1L will be subject to the gas guzzler tax. The 5.7L will be okay, but it remains to be seen if the 5.7L (Manual) will be affected.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

The mileage figures posted for the 2009 Challenger are as follows:

3.5L= 18/25 mpg

5.7L (Auto)= 16/23 mpg

5.7L (Manual)= 15/23 mpg

6.1L (Auto)= 13/18 mpg (This is for the Dodge Charger. Have not yet seen the Challenger mileage posted).

The bottom line is that the 6.1L will be subject to the gas guzzler tax. The 5.7L will be okay, but it remains to be seen if the 5.7L (Manual) will be affected.
And we all know how woefully inaccurate the EPA ratings can be.
[:-]
Old 03-22-2008, 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

As I stated before, I was on the fence about buying a 2009 SRT or R/T. Besides all of the reasons that I previously stated to buy an R/T over an SRT, here is the clincher for me:

With a $10,000 down payment, the monthly payment for the R/T will be $474 and the SRT $638 (over 60 months), based on the base cost of an R/T Charger ($31,455) and SRT Charger ($39,155)-Challenger pricing should be similar.

Edmunds has a great financing calculator. See for yourself:

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/calc/Cal...ion=intro_calc
It's all about compromise. The R/T will definitely be easier on the pocketbook and I don't blame anyone for rethinking the R/T over the SRT, but your get what you pay for.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 AM

It will be interesting to see the road tests of the 2009 SRT and R/T. Dodge is saying that the SRT will do 0-60 mph under 5 seconds and the R/T will do it in under 6 seconds.

Just for fun, I put in the horsepower and weights of these two models (the R/T weighs 130 lbs. less) in an on-line 1/4 calculator and came up with these approximations: 12.4 sec. for the SRT and 12.8 sec. for the R/T.

Since I will not be racing it, I think that the R/T makes more sense for me. If I was serious about having one of the baddest engines on the street, I would wait for the 6.4 in 2010.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 PM

I;m seriously wondering why Im getting the srt ,it seems like the differance between the two will be hardly noticible , you guys are killing me, and I ordered a black one ,I just couldnt fall in love with the orange thats the color of the local cement trucks, and the black could be duplicated in an rt errrrr,.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:17 PM

ORIGINAL: jh27_1970

I;m seriously wondering why Im getting the srt ,it seems like the differance between the two will be hardly noticible , you guys are killing me, and I ordered a black one ,I just couldnt fall in love with the orange thats the color of the local cement trucks, and the black could be duplicated in an rt errrrr,.
Can you cancel your order and get your down back? If so, that's what I would do if you really feel that way. Believe me, there will be a lot of people ready to buy what you don't want.

Quick Reply: SRT or R/T?