Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

SRT or R/T?

Old 03-21-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SRT or R/T?

The 2009 SRT will not be available in Hemi-Orange and will not have the carbon-fiber tape stripe.

The R/T will be available in Hemi-Orange, will have only 55 less hp, much cheaper, no gas guzzler tax, and a lifetime warranty (as opposed to 3 years). Also, with the money saved, you can customize it. I'm beginning to wonder how quickly the 2009 SRTs will be sold. Many will opt for the R/T for the reasons stated above and many will wait for the 6.4 500+ hp engine in 2010.

Has anyone who wanted an SRT changed their mind? I am now leaning towards an R/T- perhaps the Classic edition.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SRT or R/T?

I was originally leaning towards the SRT, but with all the new info on the R/T-cheaper price, better mileage, no "carbon fiber" stripes (not a big fan of that),no gg tax-I think the R/T is perfect for me.

Oh yeah, let's not forget-cheaper to insure.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Ok I went through the options today on the dodge site--

Only one big red flag for the R/T - the 5.7 with MDS won't be offered with the manual transmission.

Why would they do that? Sigh.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: LordFoul

Ok I went through the options today on the dodge site--

Only one big red flag for the R/T - the 5.7 with MDS won't be offered with the manual transmission.

Why would they do that? Sigh.

Something about how the MDS cannot function properly with the manual trasn I am told?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:56 PM

I like the idea of getting the "top of the line" SRT, but the R/T is pretty sweet.
I definitely like the wheels on the R/T the best. I like the flat surfaces and the polished chrome.
The wheels look tough. Also it helps that the R/T comes in a lot more colors.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Cuda340

The 2009 SRT will not be available in Hemi-Orange and will not have the carbon-fiber tape stripe.

The R/T will be available in Hemi-Orange, will have only 55 less hp, much cheaper, no gas guzzler tax, and a lifetime warranty (as opposed to 3 years). Also, with the money saved, you can customize it. I'm beginning to wonder how quickly the 2009 SRTs will be sold. Many will opt for the R/T for the reasons stated above and many will wait for the 6.4 500+ hp engine in 2010.

Has anyone who wanted an SRT changed their mind? I am now leaning towards an R/T- perhaps the Classic edition.
I think some people may change their minds and get an R/T, but not many. I thought about it, but the SRT will be unique, first ones built, only in Hemi Orange, carbon fiber hood, and numbered, make it desirable. If I didn't have an 08 SRT coming I would get an R/T for sure.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:20 PM

Didn't I read on this board that the 2008 SRT8 doesn't have a carbon fiber hood, just carbon fiber "look" decals?
I think the concept car had a real carbon fiber hood.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Billionaire

Didn't I read on this board that the 2008 SRT8 doesn't have a carbon fiber hood, just carbon fiber "look" decals?
I think the concept car had a real carbon fiber hood.
That's correct. Like I said, the 2009 SRT does not have the carbon-fiber decal that is on the 2008 SRT.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:13 PM

If you go back and look at the 5.7 auto vs. manual... I think you will see that the difference is minimal. I guess due to the gear ratio in 6-speed and the fact that it keeps the RPM low at operating speeds. I can't say for 100% certainty that I have my facts straight. I have read so much over the week that I can't place all the facts as facts. But if I remember where I saw the gas mileage specs I'll be sure to post.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Mopar_Nut

I was originally leaning towards the SRT, but with all the new info on the R/T-cheaper price, better mileage, no "carbon fiber" stripes (not a big fan of that),no gg tax-I think the R/T is perfect for me.

Oh yeah, let's not forget-cheaper to insure.
I have the feeling there won't be THAT much difference on insurance, aside from the initial value of the SRT likely will be higher (unless you load the R/T with every option available). Insurance companies LOVE to hit V-8s. Probably the only real break you'll get on insurance will be for the SE.

Quick Reply: SRT or R/T?