Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Is the SRT8 worth 11K more than the R/T?

Old 07-12-2008, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is the SRT8 worth 11K more than the R/T?

You might as well ask if the SRT is worth basically twice the price of the SEs. To me, no. From Day 1, I've wanted the new Challenger for its LOOKS, not its racing ability. My '70 had a 318. I bought it because I still consider the '70 Challenger to be the best-looking car ever built. Frankly, for racing (and, yes, a good part of my college career was financed through street racing), I preferred the '68 Coronet R/T with a 440 Magnum, not to mention automatic. With the longer wheelbase, the Coronet was one hell of a lot more stable than the Challenger could ever dream of being. All of this, of course, is my PERSONAL OPINION. To MANY people, the Challenger is all about speed. For speed, I'd go with the SRT. It all comes down to whatever YOU want and whatever YOU envision the car as being.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:05 AM

Well I'm not one of those who lives and dies by 1/4 mile times, so I won't be going for an SRT - as much as I'd love one. The price difference is just too much, not to mention 5 less MPG (that adds up pretty quick with these gas prices, plus it takes the expensive stuff) ... again, if I had a much more generous bank account I'd spring for an SRT in a heartbeat, but as it is, it'll be a R/T w/Track Pack. That'll be plenty enough for me.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:08 AM

Let's see, SRT or RT? RT or SE? How about a T/A?

I'll go SRT, but agree they all look great
Old 07-12-2008, 05:29 AM

The difference from a loaded RT to SRT is about $6k. Items not available on the RT include the higher output 6.1 the better performance suspension, the brakes, the performance telemetry on the gauges, the 180 mph speedo & I think 20" aluminum (not chrome clad.)

RT offers better mileage, lifetime warrantee, cheaper insurance, potential of more money leftover for tinkering.

It's a personal call.

All 3 models are a good choice for their own benefits - I'm contemplating in addition to my 09 SRT an SE as a for a great looking, good performance, cheap insurance, lifetime warrantee daily driver. For what some are paying for 08 SRTs they could buy an 09 SRT and 09 SE.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:18 AM

I love that picture! Congrats!

Dave

ORIGINAL: rickerda

Old 07-12-2008, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: rickerda

Wow ! ! what a great shot
Old 07-12-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends what you can afford. The R/T and SRT are both great cars.

However,if you want an exclusive car that stands the best chance of future appreciation, buy the SRT.

If you try to upgrade the SRT's, engine, suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, interior, etc. you will actually be paying more for an R/T.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:26 AM

I assume that substantial tinkering with an RT to meet or exceed SRT performance will void the lifetime warranty and potentially cost more than the RT.

Notice many cars were altered from the good ole muscle cars days to exceed the high output options such as the hemi, but generally the only ones that are selling for big bucks are completely stock or have a substantial racing history.

Eric
Old 07-12-2008, 01:52 PM

You gents are forgetting all of the other "bonuses" with the SRT8, not just the 6.1L.
Add in better steering, suspension, the Brembo brakes, more "standard equipment" (upgrades over the R/T)...
The list of differences is quite long. I thought about getting an R/T and modding it. But by the time I,m done just trying to get it equal to the SRT8, I,d have spent more money on just the suspension and appearance.
Did anyone also consider resale value in say 35 or so years? The SRT is today,s R/T of 35 years ago. That was the clincher for me.
If its gonna be my last new car, its gonna be the top dog in the kennel.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:45 PM

I'm not forgetting it. I just can't post it because anything longer than a sentence or two before this server rejects it.

SRT is a better car hands down, and I thought a long time about getting an RT.

Quick Reply: Is the SRT8 worth 11K more than the R/T?