Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

A Step in the Right Direction

Old 10-27-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Step in the Right Direction

Ya know. Honestly it's great that dodge has the 392 in the SRT8 now, this is a big step in the right direction, but Mopar still needs to up their game. For $3K more, you can gain another 50 horse with a GT500, or for $8K less, you can get the performance of last years Challenger with a Camaro SS. It's almost saddening. Dodge needs to replace the 5.7 with the 6.1, and slap a supercharger on the 6.4. Simple as that. Maybe.

THAT and only that, IMHO, will make the Challenger more competitive in the muscle/price ratio. But, i'm not tryin to rag on the Challenger, it's one of the best looking cars on the planet, but put up against 425 horse for 34K or 48K for 540 horse. They can't compete numbers wise in my mind.

Now, If the R/T had a 425 horse beast under the hood for 37K, then we're talkin'. And if the SRT8 had a Supercharged 6.4 with who knows how much horsepower. possibly 600hp or so for 48K, then we have a deal on our hands. You can't even get that with any other car that i know of.

Dodge needs some enthusists like us to be able to design them some kickin' cars. But, maybe they don't have the money to things like this. I don't know about the financial standing that Dodge is in, but to me, it seems sad.

Or ya know.... they could drop the Viper V10 engine into some of the puppies and sell those. That'd be nice.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:04 PM

TDUB,
I understand the point you and some others are making with regard to dollars vs. horsepower. However, I don't always "equate" money to horsepower. You said it yourself "...it's one of the best looking cars on the planet..." I agree. I am extremely pleased with the quality of the interior - the leather seats, the dash layout and "look" at night, the comfort/space, etc... I also have been very pleased with the fit and finish of the exterior, engine compartment and so forth. There were many factors involved in my decision to buy this car (and spend the $), not just $ value for horsepower. Camaros and Mustangs are smaller/less comfortable in the interior if you ask me. I also hated the dash on the Camaro. I spend time "in" my vehicles and I want to like what I'm looking at, with plenty of room and comfort. While I enjoy my HORSEPOWER, I enjoy the "trimmings" too!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:58 AM

I think part of the problem here is one of perception. Recently I read an article in which they compared the current Mustang GT, Camaro SS & the Challenger R/T in a performance shoot out. The only problem was the articles author was calling all three entries "ponycars". Well he was 2/3's correct on this but he was incorrect about the Challenger being a "ponycar". Both the Camaro & Mustang are in fact "ponycars" but the Challenger is a "muscle car". Therein lies the perception problem since the Challenger is bit larger (heavier) & more comfortable (more accommodating) its performance is & subsequent price structure is a bit off compared to the Chevy & Ford. Just remember with the Challenger; you pay a little more, you get a little more!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mustang GT-500 is going for $54000 to $55000 so it is in a league by itself. An SS Camaro fully dressed out to the SRT-8 specs will cost you $38000 to $42000. So the SRT392 falls closer to the SS than the GT-500. I'll put money on the fact that an SRT392 will better the SS in all categories. Both cars 2011. This battle will rage on and one or the other will pull ahead until something steps in to stop them. They are all great cars with the nod going to the SRT392 for 2011 against the SS. Heck my 2009 R/T runs 13.4 @ 105 in the 1/4. That would be a closer race against the SS with the win on the SS side by 3/10s. We have not seen the performance figures for the 392 but I will bet the 480 HP qoute is under rated. I'll go out on a limb and predict a 1/4 mile time of 12.7 @ 111 mph. I say that the one that sparks your interest the most Mustang GT, Camaro SS or Challenger R/T or SRT392 that is the one you should get. You will be cruising around in it 95% of your seat time and that is a fact. Performance figures are bragging rights and that is all. We all can't drive them like John Force but we can drive them and be seen in them. My choice is the Challenger and so many people have reinforced that choice. Inferno Red 5.7 6-speed with the track pack. Turning heads all over the south east and it seems to never stop.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdub2112
Ya know. Honestly it's great that dodge has the 392 in the SRT8 now, this is a big step in the right direction, but Mopar still needs to up their game. For $3K more, you can gain another 50 horse with a GT500, or for $8K less, you can get the performance of last years Challenger with a Camaro SS. It's almost saddening. Dodge needs to replace the 5.7 with the 6.1, and slap a supercharger on the 6.4. Simple as that.
The 6.4 is dialed back to 470 hp. for a reason. In long-term testing, a more powerful 6.4 version, rated at 540 hp., had engine durability problems. So a supercharger is presently not viable in the foreseeable future.