Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Test Drive?

Old 05-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Test Drive?

Has anyone test driven a 6.1 SRT Charger, 300C, Cherokee, or Magnum- either a dealer's car or a friend's car?

If so, what were your impressions?

Also, if you previously had a 426 Hemi, how does the 6.4 Hemi compare? Both are rated at 425 hp. Most magazines say the 6.1 SRT would win in a close drag race.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Test Drive?

i got to drive a 300 srt that came in on trade at the dealership i work at. i was very impressed with the acceleration. sucks you right back into the seat and takes your stomach away. totally awesome. for a big car i thought it handled really well too. after driving it, i am now dead set on getting the 6.1 in the challenger i buy.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:06 PM

Oh....Yea Baby.[sm=gears.gif]
Old 05-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

is today recent enough ?? My neighbor owns the local DCX Superstore. His personal car is a 07 Silver Charger SRT. he just got it btw. I drove it today some and on sat he gave me a ride up to my Ducati dealer to drop me off to p/u my 1098 from service.

The car is fast for sure, but very heavy. Remember I drive my EVO MR as my DD so we are talking about 1200 lbs more than I am used too. It has OK power off the line and really comes into its own in 3rd and 4th. I enjoyed smashing the pedal from maybe 30 mph and running up to 80 mph. The one thing that kills me though is the delay in the tranny from either 2-3 or 3-4, maybe both duh cannot remember now.
That sh*t needs to be fixed ASAP as the lag is very noticable. It seems more of a computer glitch than mech. though so maybe a re-flash or something.
This car would be awesme if not for that extra 1000 lbs of lard in it's a$$.

maybe I am just spoiled w/the EVO and M3 though so ..

I would have no prob adding the Charger to my fleet though. One other thing that stood out was the MPG. I hate to bring it up BUT we suked thru a 1/3 tank of gas very fast. maybe 45 miles , granted we were flooring it so but I could almost se the gauge move.

And being guys I had to catch him on the Ducati we raced from maybe 40 to 120 and I had 4 car lenghts on him. We did that about three times but he was getting a little upset by his 4th a$$ beating.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Erik M3
I would have no prob adding the Charger to my fleet though. One other thing that stood out was the MPG. I hate to bring it up BUT we suked thru a 1/3 tank of gas very fast. maybe 45 miles , granted we were flooring it so but I could almost se the gauge move.

And being guys I had to catch him on the Ducati we raced from maybe 40 to 120 and I had 4 car lenghts on him. We did that about three times but he was getting a little upset by his 4th a$$ beating.
SRTengineers
Just FYI, you run out of a full tank of gas in 35 minutes at sustained top speed.
The above fact was pulled from the lastest SRT chat. Top speed is 165 mph. So yes you can watch the gas gauge drop

If your friend really thought he could hang with your Ducati, it just shows the intelligence of a car salesman

The Challenger will be just as heavy and suck gas just as fast(or faster). Buying stock in Exxon maybe a good idea.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:05 PM

I drove an R/T and got a similar heavy feeling which is probably more pronounced by the smaller motor. I had thought the 6.1 (and additional 50 HP) would reduce that but sounds like it did not. What's the expected weight difference on Challenger versus a Charger?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: awsure

I drove an R/T and got a similar heavy feeling which is probably more pronounced by the smaller motor. I had thought the 6.1 (and additional 50 HP) would reduce that but sounds like it did not. What's the expected weight difference on Challenger versus a Charger?
trust me. an rt vs srt is night and day. Yes its a heavy car. but the srt is no slouch. It gets up and moves. I wont drive one for fear of having to buy it on the spot.
Im not sure how eric felt a lag between shifts. There is almost zero between 2-3 and 3-4. You can run the Charger to redline it will force the shift around 6250 for the SRT8.

more I think about this. I think EricM3 should stay with the beemers. He will not be happy with a heavy assed Challenger.