Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Though you guys would like this...

Old 05-27-2008, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Though you guys would like this...

Yes, you are correct about the open rear end. It's called anti spin. I first learned of this back in February after my car was ordered with a non refundable deposit. It makes me sick that I cannot do a burnout or slide the car because of 1. the rear end, 2. the traction control and ESP cannot be disabled. If you watch any of the videos, the drivers are unable to spin the tires unless they do a brake torque and even then it starts with one wheel. How embarasing to punch the throttle and have the car lose power momentarily while the traction control tries to hook up. I'll take the car and most likely sell it.
There is a new rear end in the 09 made by Getrag but I'm not sure if it will be Possi Traction.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:17 AM

ORIGINAL: GPMAN

Yes, you are correct about the open rear end. It's called anti spin. I first learned of this back in February after my car was ordered with a non refundable deposit. It makes me sick that I cannot do a burnout or slide the car because of 1. the rear end, 2. the traction control and ESP cannot be disabled. If you watch any of the videos, the drivers are unable to spin the tires unless they do a brake torque and even then it starts with one wheel. How embarasing to punch the throttle and have the car lose power momentarily while the traction control tries to hook up. I'll take the car and most likely sell it.
There is a new rear end in the 09 made by Getrag but I'm not sure if it will be Possi Traction.
ESP can be disabled according to the owner's manual and other sources. The BLD simulates LDS. The '09's will have a true LDS from what I've been reading here and elsewhere.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 AM

The ESP cannot be totally disabled. (Several reviewers have pointed this out) Watch most brake torque videos. When the brake pressure is removed, the engine RPM is cut and the traction control takes over. Also, the car will not go sideways without the computer trying to help. I pointed out three months ago that this car had an open rear end and few believed me. Makes me want to cry
Old 05-27-2008, 09:11 AM

I'm not sure about the 2009's, but you can turn ESP completly off on the 08's by pressing, and holding the ESP switch for 5 seconds. You have full ESP, partial ESP and No ESP
Old 05-27-2008, 11:07 AM

NO..................You can not. It is always partially engaged. The manual does not say so. I will try to find info later. The rear wheels will not even spin on gravel or wet roads. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. The tires will spin with the brakes applied but when you release them the "helpfull" systems take over. It has something to do with government laws taking effect in 2010 regarding Passenger cars and ESP. Dodge is proudly out front on the issue.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 AM

Just try finding a video of a SRT8 Charger doing a burnout without a brake torque. No Can DO!